Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

The Suitors

1, Nanny Wakes Up
2, The Admiral Goes Fishing
3, Confessions
4, An Evening with the Prince
5, Interlude
6, A Nice Quiet Breakfast
7, The Interviews
8, The Preparations Begin
9, The Presentation Ceremony Begins
10, The Offerings
11, Epilogue

My Thoughts on the Suitors.


 


The Suitors
Part Six

A Nice Quiet Breakfast

Coran enters the small private dining room smiling. One old habit that hasn’t gone away since the defeat of Doom is having breakfast and dinner together with the original team whenever possible. He sees Lance and Hunk already here, having just come from this mornings training. Nanny is busily setting the table. This breakfast ritual is still something she insists on doing by herself without any help from the staff. She says it makes her feel more like they’re a real family this way He doesn’t argue with her about it anymore.

“Good morning Lance, Hunk. Good morning Nanny.” Still smiling, he makes his way to his seat. “So, how was practice?”

Hunk starts to speak but stops short, realizing his mouth is full of pastry.

Lance snickers. “Well you sure in a good mood this morning Coran. Practice went fine. Everyone seems to be picking things up pretty fast another week and I think we can turn them over to our Captain. Don’t want to put them under that much pressure right off you know.” He laughs.

“No I suppose not.” Coran smiles back.

Nanny fills Coran’s cup. “Oh now, I can’t imagine he’s that bad. Not Keith.”

All three of them snap their heads to Nanny, stunned, Coran starts to laugh.

Hunk mumbles thru his pastry to Lance. “Did she just call him Keith?”

Lance nods his head still not believing himself. “Um, well yes Nanny. Captain Keith demands a lot from his students. And well, he can be rather intimidating to fly under until you develop a tough skin and are able to take his criticism.”

Hunk finally finishes his pastry. “Yes Nanny. He makes everyone work at their fullest potential. He won’t take anything less.”

The Princess and Pidge walk in together and make their way to their seats. “Good morning everyone.”

Nanny frowns at Allura’s disheveled appearance. She is wearing her casual jumpsuit. Her hair, instead of being braided as it normally is, is just pulled back loosely into a ponytail and she has forgone wearing her circlet. “Princess did you spend any time getting ready this morning. Do I have to start getting you ready again?”

“Nanny stop. Why get ready twice? I’ll have to go through all that later today. I want to be comfortable okay?”

Nanny frowns, but keeps quiet.

Lance greets them. “You two are just in time. We were discussing the finer points of our commander’s teaching skills.”

Pidge scoots in. “Well the Princess would be the expert on that subject. After all Keith did teach her everything she knows. Right Princess?”

Allura stutters a bit. “Um… well uh, yes… he has.” Her cheeks turn a little flush, but no one seems to notice.

Coran looks at Allura and smiles. “Yes. He turned her into a fine pilot. We are all very proud of you, Princess.”

“Speaking of Keith, where is he? I’m getting hungry.” Hunk moans.

“You just had two pastries how could you be hungry?” Lance shoots back.
Hunk just shrugs his shoulders.

Allura turns to Nanny. “Why don’t you go ahead and serve Nanny, he is ten minutes late. I’m sure he’ll be along soon.”

Nanny then begins bringing the meal out, an assortment of foods starts to fill the table. Everyone present helps themselves to their favorite dishes. As they eat, Coran and Nanny swap knowing looks, glancing towards Allura, imagining how different things might be, by the end of the day.



Lance has almost finished his plate “I hope Keith is not avoiding us after last night.” Lance whispers across to Hunk, keeping an eye on Coran and Allura, who are busy talking at the other end of the table.

“What happened last night?” Pidge whispers back, hearing the exchange.

“Go ahead tell him, Hunk.” Lace whispers.

Hunk leans over to Pidge and whispers in his ear.

“He’s what!” All eyes in the room zoom to Pidge.

“He’s what, what?” A voice comes from behind Pidge making him go pale.

“Um, nothing Captain.”

“It sure didn’t sound like nothing.” Keith looks over Pidge to admire the spread. “Boy that looks good. I’m starved.”

“Better look out Cap, here comes Nanny. You’re twenty minutes late she’s going to read you the riot act. You’ll be lucky if you get any.” Hunk warns.

“Oh now this is gonna be good.” Lance rubs his hands.

Nanny’s visibly fuming. “Captain Keith! You are late! So, tell me, what is your excuse for being this late?”

Keith turns shifting his weight and crossing his arms across his chest. “Well Nanny, honestly, I was just lying around in bed.”

Lance could never have imagined ever seeing Nanny turn that shade of red. He watches wide-eyed as Nanny’s mouth moves but no sound comes out. The room is in silent shock. All except for Allura, who is trying to muffle her laughter with her napkin.

Keith then slowly strolls to his seat. “Good morning Princess, Coran. Sorry I’m late.” He then casually pulls out his chair and sits. “Nanny, do you have any more of that juice?”

Lance looks back at Nanny who is still frozen. Then back to Keith who is arranging his napkin.

“Nanny … Juice?” Keith repeats.

“Um, yes Captain right away.” Nanny quickly spins and races to the kitchen.

“Okay, how in the hell did he do that?” Lance whispers.

“Forget that.” Pidge whispers. “How did you guys find out, you know?” He holds up his hand to screen his face from the other end of the table and mouths out, 'that he’s in love'

“We’ll have to tell you later,” Lance whispers.

Lance looks up to the end of the table where he sees Keith mindlessly staring at his empty plate. Great, he’s shut himself off again he won’t even look at her.

“Here you go Captain.” Nanny reappears carrying a glass and a pitcher. “I brought you the pitcher just in case you wanted more. She places the glass in front of him and sets down the pitcher. Picking up his plate she babbles on. “Here, let me get your breakfast for you.” And she happily goes about filling his plate with everything she knows he likes.

“Alright, she doesn’t even do that for Allura.” Lance whispers.

Hunk shakes his head. “This is just too weird.”

“Here you are Captain I hope that is enough for you.” Nanny smiles placing his plate in front of him.

Coran looks across to Keith. “Keith? I hate to ask but how did…?”

Keith stares at his plate. “If you’re referring to your little ‘assignment’ last night, I don’t want to talk about it.”

Lance sits up. “What assignment would that be?”

Coran raises a hand to Lance. “Lance please, it was noting serious. I just had him go meet up with Prince Kendrick last night, at the prince's request.”

Lance hits the table. “You did what? Coran that’s cold man, cold!”

Allura glares at Coran. “Who in the hell do you think you are telling him to do something like that? Keith doesn’t need to put up with that jerk! He’s a pompous royal asshole who deserved what he got!”

“Allura!” Nanny screams at the top of her lungs.

“Shut up Nanny!” Both Keith and Allura yell together as Keith slams both fists onto the table, bringing the whole room awkwardly silent.

Lance thinks. Now it all makes sense. Having to talk to that guy must have set him off last night.

Keith then takes a deep breath. “Can we just eat?”

Coran slowly stands. “If you will excuse me I will be going. Capitan I’ll see you at ten.”

Keith barely nods and doesn’t look at him as Coran turns and leaves. Nanny then tentatively approaches Allura and Keith, feeling the tension in the air. “I’m sorry I can’t stay either. I must go tend to the preparations for tonight’s presentation ceremony.”

Allura stares straight ahead. “Just go Nanny.”

Nanny drops her eyes and leaves the room.

Lance stares at Keith. He has again become the cold, calm Captain. Bottling up all the emotion that was there just moments ago. Lance watches him as he stares blankly, emotionless, into his food, occasionally taking small bites. Lance starts to shift in his seat. How the hell can he do that? How can Keith be acting so cool? Nanny just mentioned tonight. Has he forgotten the full implications of this evening? I bet he hasn’t even told Allura his feelings for her. No Captain, that’s right just keep it all bottled up. Don’t let her know. Damn it! She has a right to know! Lance stares at his Captain, who is obviously trying not to look at her as he picks at his food, a rage is starting to build in Lance’s eyes. He watches while Keith calmly takes a bite of food as Allura leans over, whispering something in his ear. Lance wants to scream at him.

Keith suddenly almost chokes on his food, jumping to his feet. “Nanny told you what!” He starts to pace. “Well that just great isn’t it? Why the hell would she tell you that now? Tonight is… What does she expect us to do about it? She’s been a thorn in my butt all this time, and now she… What the heck is she thinking?” Keith lets out an animalistic growl and hits the wall closest to him.

Allura moves over to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. “I know it was thoughtless. I really laid into her last night about it. She should have just kept quiet.”

Lance sneers. “Keith, do you mind telling the rest of us what that was all about?”

“No!” Keith snaps back.

“What Keith? More secrets? You sure are the expert on them aren’t you?”

“Shut up, Lance!” Keith bangs his head against the wall.

“Shut up Lance?” Lance shoots up out of his chair noisily, fists clenched.

Keith spins around meeting Lance’s eyes, locking in an intense stare with him “This is a private matter between Allura and I.”

Lance glowers, crossing his arms across his chest defiantly. “Well I’m sooo sorry for intruding. It sure didn’t seem private. But then you always are keeping things private, especially around the princess.”

Keith takes a step towards Lance. “And what do you mean by that?”

“I think you know exactly what I mean.”

“No, Lance. I think you need to enlighten me.”

Lance angrily points a threatening finger at Keith. “You still haven’t told her, have you? Nooo, the brave, strong Captain can’t have a heart can he? She needs to know the truth! Don’t let her go through the rest of her life wondering.”

Allura shoots lance a threatening gaze. “Lance, will you keep out of this!”

Every muscle in Keith’s body tenses as he growls out. “What is it with you people? Don’t you get it? We can’t be together! I’m leaving! I would do anything to stay if I could but I don’t have a choice. And Allura can’t wait around for the day my tour runs out. Arus needs to move on. We’re both just other people’s pawns. We don’t have a say!”

Lance softens a bit. “I understand Keith. I just thought it was important for her to hear from you, how you truly feel. At least let her know that she once was loved.”

Allura sighs. “Lance, please stop.”

Keith looks to his friend. “Lance, she knows I love her.”

“You told her?” Lance raises an eyebrow.

Keith stares at his friend running his hands through his hair and lets out a groan. “Fine!” He turns to Allura and takes a deep breath, putting his hands on her shoulders. “Ally... if there were any way we could have been together I would have grabbed hold of you and never let go. But it seems the fates are against us. I love you Ally, with all my heart, with all my soul.”

Allura reaches up to him grabbing two fistfuls of his hair and pulls his lips to hers, just as their lips touch they instantly fall into one another, their bodies melting into one, in an impassioned and desperate, fevered kiss. Both unable to hold back the intense emotional turmoil their hearts are in. They soon both drop to their knees as their legs give out beneath them, lips and arms not letting go, totally oblivious to the three other pilots in the room.

Lance watches wide-eyed in shock. It’s no doubt to him as he sees their impassioned embrace. That is not a kiss of love. That’s a lover’s kiss. Holy shit! What did I miss? Lance feels a hand on his shoulder and he looks up to see Hunk, who has Pidge in one hand. Hunk grabs Lance in the other and leads them out of the room.


The two lovers eventually part still kneeling on the floor. Looking around the room they find that they are all alone. Keith chuckles. “Well I guess we scared them off.”

Allura blushes. “I’m sorry Keith I don’t know what came over me. I couldn’t help myself.”

He touches her cheek. “I don’t remember complaining.”

Allura looks into his eyes. “I don’t know how I am going to be able handle the rest of today… tonight.”

He sighs, his eyes dropping to the floor. “Ally I need to ask…” his voice fades out.

“Keith?” She runs a hand into his hair. “What?”

“Ally would you mind if I didn’t come tonight? I don’t think I could handle it. It has been tearing me up ever since the suitors were announced months ago. And now, well after last night I….” His eyes start to shimmer.

Allura picks his chin up and looks at his eyes, but his eyes don’t meet hers. “Keith, I understand. I think it would be just as difficult for me to see you there.” She sighs. “I’ve made a decision though.”

Looking into her eyes he tilts his head slightly. “Oh?”

“I’m going to let the people decide. I’ll look too them to see which one they like the best. He will be the one. I cannot choose.”

A tear starts to roll down Keith’s cheek. “I’m so sorry, Ally.”

“There’s nothing you could do Keith. I know that. At least we can have the memory of being together even if we ourselves cannot.”

Keith reaches up taking Allura’s face in his hands. “Ally. What you gave me last night I will hold close to my heart forever. I am elated beyond imagination that you would give such a gift to me, and no other. I love you. I will always love you, I thank you.” He pulls her into a tight embrace. “Know that Ally. Know that I love you.”

“I love you, Keith. I will love you forever, my Captain, my Knight, my Prince.” She nestles into his neck, her breaths matching his.

Keith slowly pulls her up as he stands to his feet. He pulls her body tight to his and starts to sway with her to some unheard music. The two lovers dance, holding each other so tight, knowing full well they will probably never get the chance again.

Allura eventually pulls back to look at his face. She smiles but there is no life behind it, her eyes betraying her true feelings of utter torment.

“Ally, I…” Keith stops as the door to the dining room opens. The couple quickly parts.

Sven and Romelle happily, burst into the room. “There you are Allura, we just got here. Come on we have a lot to do today.” Romelle smiles, rushing up to Allura giving her a huge hug.

Sven approaches Keith and gives him a hug but Keith doesn’t return it. “It is good to see you, Keith.” He steps back and looks at his friend curiously. “Keith, are you alright?”

Keith shakes his head to the present. “Sorry Sven I just...”

“It’s okay Keith, I understand.” Sven has long has known his Captain’s feelings for the princess even if Keith never said anything about them. The thought of tonight must be killing him.

Keith drops his eyes glancing at the time. His eyes snap to Allura who returns his gaze in understanding. “I’m sorry I promised Coran I would meet him. I’ll have to catch up with you two later.”

Romelle smiles at him and walks over to him, giving him a big hug. “I’m going to be busy with Allura all day, but I’ll see you tonight at the ceremony.”

Keith’s eyes look pained and he locks eyes with Allura over Romelle’s shoulder. She slowly closes her eyes then reopens them almost imperceptibly she shakes her head and tells him with her eyes not to come.

Keith moves to Allura and grabs her hand, pulling her to him into an embrace, he whispers into her ear so only she can hear. “Thank you Ally. Know that I may not be there in body, but my heart will be with you… Always.”

Reluctantly, he pulls away. “Goodbye.” His voice cracks out as he turns and leaves the room.

Sven and Romelle stare after him, both not used to seeing that kind of emotion from him. Sven looks to Romelle and puts his arm around her pulling her to him close. “I imagine that is how I would be feeling if I couldn’t be with you, my love.” He then turns her to him and kisses her tenderly.

Allura, seeing her cousin’s embrace, cries out and drops to the floor weeping, snapping the two out of their kiss. They both run to her.

Romelle starts stroking Allura’s hair. “I’m so sorry, Cousin. We weren’t thinking.” Allura continues weeping and the two sit and comfort her as she lets out her grief. Her sobs eventually, fade. Romelle looks to Sven. “Come, let’s get her to her room.”

Sven scoops Allura up and cradles her in his arms as she lies limp against him. The three head to Allura’s quarters.


End of Part Six.


End of Part Six.

On to the next part.

Home, Fan Fiction, The Suitors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, My Thoughts