Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

The Suitors

1, Nanny Wakes Up
2, The Admiral Goes Fishing
3, Confessions
4, An Evening with the Prince
5, Interlude
6, A Nice Quiet Breakfast
7, The Interviews
8, The Preparations Begin
9, The Presentation Ceremony Begins
10, The Offerings
11, Epilogue

My Thoughts on the Suitors.


 


The Suitors
Part Eight

The Preparations Begin

Coran reaches Allura’s quarters to find a bustle of activity. He stands in the doorway stunned. The main room is full of servants racing around preparing to get the princess ready for tonight’s ceremony. He has no idea what most of them are doing. Some are sewing her dress others are mixing some strange looking concoctions he has no idea what for. Still others just seem to be racing back and forth between the living area and the bedroom area. My god, is this what she goes trough before every major function? No wonder she hates these things.

Romelle sees him and approaches. “Coran you’re here.” She smiles taking in his glazed expression. “It takes a lot of work to get a princess ready. I bet you’ve never seen this before. I don’t think any man has for that matter.”

Coran shakes his head. “I think I’ll be more appreciative next time I see her in full dress.”

“Come Coran, she is waiting in the next room.”

They both head into Allura’s study. She is sitting behind her desk with a stoic, yet vacant look to her face.

“Princess here are the final approved proposals for your review.” He sets the folder containing them down on the desk in front of her.

Romelle moves up behind her and puts a supporting hand on her shoulder. “Better just get it over with Allura.”

Allura reaches for the folder and opens it. She quickly flips through them without reading. “Coran you said there were only going to be four but I count five?”

“Yes, Princess. There has been a last minute, tentative, application.”

“Tentative?”

“Well yes. I just got it this morning. He too, is being pressured into the match. But if he chooses to come tonight his application cannot be denied.”

“Coran this is out of the question! Is some diplomat pressuring you into this? Is this someone’s back room deal? I thought you were above such a thing. I can’t believe this! Did you even check him out?”

“Yes, your highness. I corroborated all his clams. They are all true.”

“Have I met him?”

“Well yes, but not as an official suitor.”

“Who?”

“I thought you wanted to follow tradition and didn’t want to have their names cloud your judgment?”

“Yes Coran, you are correct. I shouldn’t have asked. I will find out soon enough tonight. If he comes that is.” She closes the folder and pushes it away.

“Aren’t you going to look at the contracts?”

“No.” Allura sits back in her chair.

“No? Why not?”

“I’ve come to a decision Coran. I will not pick my future husband. I will instead observe which one the people respond to the best and he will be the one. I cannot bring myself to choose.”

“Princess you should really read the offers.”

“No Coran. It doesn’t matter. I trust that you wouldn’t have accepted them if they weren’t worthy.”

“You should decide Allura not the people. We’re talking about your future husband.”

“No we’re not Coran.”

“What do you mean we’re not?”

“We are talking about the future husband of the princess and future queen of planet Arus. Not Allura.” Allura’s eyes grow cold.

“Princess?” Coran tilts his head.

“Allura’s childish dreams are over now. She is gone.” Her gaze turns to ice.

“Princess?” Coran leans back at her intense stare.

“Go Coran. Leave me.”

“Yes your Highness.” He hesitates a moment then stands and turns to leave, leaving the unread contracts on her desk. Please read the contacts Allura your dreams aren’t dead.


Keith is almost to Allura’s quarters. He sill can’t quite believe it. He had to go verify his orders for himself. Surprisingly his call was directed to the top brass at Galaxy Garrison who responded personally. They verified to him that the orders were indeed correct and they all wished him luck. Amazing. He’s got to see Allura. He has to let her know, has to be the one to tell her the news. He doesn’t want her to find out any other way but from his lips. Everything they dared to dream about is now, amazingly, within their grasp.

He reaches the hall that will take him to Allura’s door and is met by two guards. He moves to go through him but they step in his way.

“Sorry Sir. Were under strict orders. No one gets in.”

“I order you to let me pass.”

“No sir. The orders came from the Princess herself.”

“She couldn’t have meant me too.”

“Let me check Sir.” The one guard lifts his com to his ear buzzing Allura’s room. “Yes, Captain Keith is asking to enter. Is he allowed in? … I see.” He looks at Keith and frowns. “Sorry sir, you too.”

“What?”

The door down the hall swishes open. “Especially not you!”

Keith whips his head to the voice.

Romelle comes out the doorway and approaches him.

“Romelle what do you mean, especially not me?”

Romelle moves to stand in front of him gazing at him intensely. “She cannot see anyone. She is entirely too busy getting ready. She doesn’t want any distractions.”

“Romelle I need to see her. I’ve got to tell her…”

“No Keith! Don’t, not today. Can’t you see?” She looks to the guards. “Keith, come. Walk with me.”

They walk down the hall until they’re out of earshot. Romelle grabs his arms. “Keith you didn’t see her after you left this morning. If she were to see you again I don’t think she could keep it together. You cannot see her. You must understand”

“But Romelle it’s about tonight. I need to tell her about tonight.”

“Why? Can’t it wait until after the ceremony?”

“Romelle, please let me see her.” His voice desperate.

“I can’t. Keith you have to understand that.”

“I have to talk to her, to tell her…”

“Well, tell me then and I’ll tell her if I think it won’t upset her.”

“I…I can’t tell you. She has to hear it from me.” His eyes are pleading.

Romelle angrily pulls her hands off his arms and steps back pointing a finger back to Allura’s door. “So you were going to storm in there and profess your love to her? The afternoon before she has to pick a husband? Keith, are you that heartless? That would destroy her!”

Keith crosses his arms across his chest and shoots her an angry look. “Romelle please! I thought you knew me better than that!”

She again grabs his arms and shakes him. “Look Keith. I know you love her. And I know she loves you, as much as I love Sven. Now listen. If she sees you, it’s going to kill her. Please just go.”

He pulls away form her grasp. “I can’t go. I have to tell her.”

“What! Tell her what!” Romelle clinches her hands into fists.

Keith’s voice is pleading, filled with desperation. “She has to hear it from me. Please? Romelle she has to know about…”

Romelle softens and reaches out a hand to touch his cheek. “She knows you love her.”

He pulls her hand away from his cheek and holds it in his. “Romelle I know that. It’s about my orders.”

Romelle pulls back and every muscle starts to shake, fists clenched. “You were going to tell her you were leaving?” She takes a swing at Keith’s face.

Keith instinctively grabs her wrist just before the fist hits without flinching. “Romelle stop! It’s not what you think.”

“What’s all the commotion down here?” Nanny asks now coming down the hall. “Romelle, Allura’s asking for you.”

Romelle glares at Keith “You bastard!” She rips her wrist out of his grasp. “How could you!”

Keith clenches his own fits, bringing them up to his ears. “Romelle! Please! You don’t understand. It’s not what you think.”

Nanny steps between them staring down Romelle. “Go on Romelle. Go tend to the Princess. I’ll take care of the Captain here.” Nanny turns and looks sternly at Keith as Romelle grumbles and then storms off, When the door closes behind Romelle Nanny softens. “So Captain? You received your new orders?”

“Yes Nanny.” Keith sighs and turns and softly butts his head into the wall.

“So have you decided to accept the position here on Arus?”

Keith whips around to meet Nanny’s eyes. “What? Wait, how did you…”

“I read your orders last night. Now have you decided to accept the position?”

“Is this a trick question Nanny?”

“No, of course not.”

“Really?” Keith crosses his arms in front of him and raises an eyebrow. “Spin around.”

“Why?” Nanny’s eyebrows knit together in confusion.

“Just do it!”

“Okay.” Nanny twirls around in front of him.

Keith shifts his weight. “Yes, I’ve decided to try for the job.”

“Oh Keith!” Nanny squeals and hugs him so tight he can’t breath. “You don’t know how happy that makes me.” She pulls back raising an eyebrow. “Why did you make me spin?”

”I wanted to see if you had your rolling pin hidden behind your back.”

They both smile, then begin to chuckle, soon erupting into a roar of laughter causing curious glances from the guards down the hall.

Nanny hugs him again. “You know you are going to make her so happy.”

Keith smiles. “That’s why I need to tell her.”

“No Keith. Tradition holds that the approved suitors will not be revealed until the ceremony. I’m sorry but it will have to wait.”

“But she’s hurting in there. And if Romelle...oh no!”

“Don’t worry Romelle knows not to upset Allura. She’ll keep quiet.”

“No. I can’t trust that.”

“Keith let it be.”

“Please Nanny?”

“No it will have to wait. Now you come with me. I need to give you a crash course in what you will need to do tonight.”

“Um, well I have to admit I really have no idea what this thing tonight is all about. I’ve stayed so far away from anything to do with it. I have no idea what I need to do.”

“Come on then. I’ll teach you. Allura will be fine she might be sad now but when she sees you tonight... well, that will be something.”


Allura is sitting in a chair in the middle of the room. Her hands, feet, face, and hair are all being worked on simultaneously when Romelle re-enters the room. Allura can see that she is upset.

“Romelle what’s wrong? Who was it? Was it bad news?”

“It’s okay Allura. Nothing you should be bothered with.”

“Romelle please tell me. You look so sad. What happened?”

“I’ll tell you later, okay? I’m just a little angry, that’s all.”

“Okay later then. Where’s Nanny?”

“Um, well she is taking care of the situation. Nothing you should be bothered with. She should be right back.”

Several minutes later two servants arrive caring in Allura’s jewelry in a couple of small chests. One approaches Allura. “Nanny wanted us to tell you she will be busy the rest of the day with Captain Keith, but if you need her to call her.”

Romelle’s eyes grow angry.

Allura sits up, pulling away from the people working on her. “With Keith. What’s she doing with Keith?”

“It looked like she was trying to keep him away from here.”

Allura snaps her eyes to Romelle. “Romelle! It was Keith! He was outside? Why didn’t you let him in?”

Romelle pulls up a chair next to Allura. “He would have just upset you again, Allura. I did it for your own good.”

“Did he say what he wanted?”

“He said he needed to tell you something that he could only tell you in person.”

“Oh...” Allura smiles. “You should have let him in.”

“No Ally.”

“No? Why not?”

Romelle stands and address everyone. “Would you all mind taking your lunch now while Allura and I talk?”

All the servants quickly finish up and leave the room.

“Come Ally.” Romelle leads Allura to her bedroom and they sit on her bed.

“What? What is it Romelle?”

“Ally. I shouldn’t tell you this but you’d kill me when you found out I was keeping it from you.” She takes a deep breath. “Keith came here to tell you about his new orders.”

“I see.” Allura is expressionless.

“I didn’t want you to have to hear this today, so I sent him away. I’m sorry if I did the wrong thing Cousin. But, I know your feelings for him. I didn’t want you to have to face him. Understand?”

“Yes Romelle. I understand. That’s why he asked not to come to the ceremony tonight.”

“He what?”

“He said he couldn’t bear to be there, to see me with them. I agreed I didn’t want to see him there either.”

“Oh Ally, I’m so sorry.”

The two share a long hug. Romelle now weeping but Allura’s face is as cold as ice.


Nanny is quickly dragging Keith down the hall by his arm, towards the grand ballroom to the amusement of everyone they pass in the halls.

“Nanny do you have to walk this fast?”

“We have a lot to cover. Now hurry up!”

They enter the ballroom which has already been prepared. It is truly an amazing sight. It’s been completely transformed back in time. To Keith, it looks like he just walked back in time into an Arthurian tale. Tapestries have been hung all around. Multi colored pennants fly overhead. It is set up like a grand cathedral. There is a forty foot wide aisle down the center, raised seating on either side, and at the end of the aisle there ar eight steps leading up to a large raised platform.

“Nanny this is incredible.”

“Why thank you, Captain.”

The room is empty of all people except the two of them.

“So Nanny, tell me, what exactly is this ceremony all about?”

“Well Captain, it is our tradition that when a royal is to marry, we have this ceremony. Essentially it is for the people. It gives the suitors a chance to win the peoples’ favor and lets the people feel like they know more about the suitors. Because of this and other ceremonies throughout the courtship, the people feel more connected to the union. It makes for a much stronger and supported union if the people favor the suitor. So tonight is, more than anything else, about winning the hearts of the people. It is very important for the people to admire and respect the future new king.”

“So, basically you’re saying that tonight is just a big popularity contest?”

“Well yes I suppose you could say that.”

Keith throws back his head and groans. “Oh wonderful.”

“Captain you really have no idea do you?”

Keith looks at Nanny with a raised eyebrow.

Nanny laughs at him. “I can’t believe someone as intelligent as you, who is so in tune with his senses that he even knows when the mice are coming even before they can be seen. That you could be so… dense.”

“Dense? Nanny!”

She laughs again. “Open your eyes Captain. Take a good look around next time you are in a room full of people. Look at how they look at you, how they respond to you. Listen to what they say about you when they think you’re not there. Don’t think. Just look and listen. Then tell me what the people truly feel about you. Wake up Captain!”

“Nanny I’m just…”

“No! I don’t want to hear it. I’m dumfounded. You, Captain of Voltron, Champion of Arus, the most valiant as they come, and yet you have no self-confidence.” She walks up to him and grabs his arms, shaking him. “Look I know I’m probably most to blame for making you think you weren’t good enough for her. But listen to me now. What you are, what you have done, has more meaning to the people of Arus than everything combined that those other men offer. They may be infatuated with that other guy. But you, they worship and revere. Please see that Captain. The people are yours for the asking. They have already shown they would follow you to hell and back. You are their leader, their hero.”

“It’s hard Nanny. The others offer so much to Arus. What do I have? Nothing.”

“Ugh, Keith sometimes I really want to deck you! Have you even been listening?”

“Yes Nanny, It’s just…”

Nanny pulls back her fist.

Hey, whoa! Okay. Okay I’ll think about it. Let’s just get this over with.”

“Alright, but I’m not letting this drop.” She pulls Keith back to the main doors to the ballroom. She then points to the raised platform. “The Princess will be up there of course and you will enter from the main doors here. Who will be presenting you?”

“The Admiral asked if he could.”

“Perfect. So then he will lead you to the steps. Come lets take the walk.” She leads the way down the aisle and he follows. “Just a little further back, yes that’s good. Walk behind like that.” They almost reach the steps. “You will stop here and the Admiral will then present you as a suitor. That’s when you step forward.”

Keith just stands there.

“Come on now, step forward.”

He carefully steps forward. “Here?”

Yes that’s good. Now the Princess will step forward up there and acknowledge you and thank you for being here.”

“Okay, then what?”

“Then you have to give her physical representations of your offer.”

“My offer?”

“Well yes.” Nanny produces a piece of paper from her pocket smiling. “Coran made a copy of what he is going to say you claimed in your contract. It’s quite impressive.”

“That? Nanny, I didn’t…. I mean he just wrote what I was…oh great...”

“Keith it’s beautiful and I know its all true, now relax.” Nanny walks up the steps. “So Allura will be standing there and Coran will stand here and read off your claims. As he does you will give her a token to represent it.”

“A token? But Nanny how? What? There’s no time. I can’t afford anything like what those others can.”

“It’s not the cost that matters Keith It’s what it represents.”

“Nanny, I don’t think I can do this.”

“Don’t you start again! I can’t believe it! Captain Keith of the Voltron force, the defender of Arus, defeater of Doom, champion of Galaxy Garrison, admitting defeat so soon? You have it in you to win over this whole planet in the blink of an eye! Now come on Captain, give it a try.”

“Fine Nanny. Go ahead.”

Nanny stiffens up and puts on her best impersonation of Coran. “Captain Keith you say you offer planet Arus your complete devotion as a man of honor and duty?”

Keith shrugs his shoulders. “Um, yes?”

“No! No! No! You have to give her something that represents your honor and sense of duty and explain its significance.”

“But what?”

“Lets worry about that later. We’ll think of something. So whatever it is you would lay it down on the steps in front of the princess.”

“Okay. Then what?”

Nanny switches back into Coran.

Keith tries not to laugh at her, putting a hand up to stifle the laugh.

“You claim you will give Allura your respect and you will give her your undying love.”

Keith drops his eyes to the floor.

“Keith. I know that you love her. Please don’t hide it. It’s now time to let it out for the whole planet to see.”

“Nanny, I don’t know. I mean, the people, what would they think?”

“Honestly?”

Keith looks back up to her quizzically.

“Every man on the planet would, if they don’t already, want to be you. And every woman on the planet would be, momentarily, insanely jealous of the princess, then overwhelmed by happiness for her. Now what’s wrong with that?”

“Nanny come on!”

“I’m serious Captain. The people will be overjoyed to see your love. Come now you’re telling me you’ve never heard about the peoples’ musings about the two of you?”

Keith stays quiet pondering her words. “So, what do I give her then? I can’t think of anything that would truly show the people how I feel about her.”

Nanny walks down the steps and takes Keith’s hands and looks into his eyes intently. “Captain, you could just show them.”

“Show them? How?”

“Kiss her.”

“Kiss her? I don’t think that would show...”

“No Keith. Kiss her!”

“Nanny! You can’t be serious!” Keith cheeks start to flush. “You mean kiss her, kiss her? Here? In front of…”

“Yes!” Nanny squeals.

“I can’t do that!” He buries his face in his hands.

“So you don’t love her then.”

Keith snaps his eyes to Nanny in a fierce stare. “I love her more than life itself!”

“Hey now! What did I miss?” Sven walks up to them. “I’m not interrupting am I? Keith, Nanny? Do you mind telling me what’s going on?”

Keith looks at Sven. “What are you doing here Sven?”

“Well Romelle sent me after you to bash your head in but…”

Nanny stops him. “Good, I need your help Sven. I might need you to bash some sense into his head while you’re at it.”

“Nanny!” Keith glares at her.

Nanny walks up to Sven and puts her arm around him. Sven goes tense, panicked by Nanny’s forward gesture. “Sven, say if our captain here was to kiss Allura, in front of everyone tonight, how do you think the people would react?”

Sven puts up his hands. “Whoa now! Back up. I think I would be more worried about how you would react. What’s gotten into you Nanny? What is this all about?”

“First answer. How would the people react?”

“They’d be shocked like the rest of us.”

“Then what?” Nanny looks at him. “Go on.”

“Well, like the rest of us, they’d probably jump up out of their seats and scream out-- It’s about time!”

“So you see Captain.” She smiles at Keith. “Nothing to worry about.”

Sven shakes his head. “Now will you please tell me what’s going on? Romelle was going on about you getting your orders. Now this kissing stuff. What the hell?”

Keith stares at the floor. “Sven, Galaxy Garrison will let me stay here on Arus if I get married.”

“Married?” Sven’s face drops.

“To Allura”

“What? That’s impossible! That can’t be true.”

Nanny grabs Sven’s arms. “Oh but it is Sven. We just have to get him through tonight.”

“Keith really, you’re not lying to me?”

Keith slowly looks up meeting Sven’s gaze. “No Sven I’m not lying. It’s true. I still really don’t quite believe it myself. I called and verified it with the brass. They will let me stay, but only if I become the king.”

Sven grabs Keith into a huge hug. ”I’m so happy for you Keith. You deserve this and Ally deserves you.”

Nanny touches Sven’s arm. “Now Sven this cannot get back to the girls. Keith cannot be reveled until tonight. Understand?”

“My lips are sealed.” Sven smiles. “So let me help. What can I do?”

Nanny smiles. “Well, were still puzzled over what he can give her to represent his claims.”

Some of the staff start to enter the room bringing in flowers. Nanny takes Keith’s arm. “Come. Let’s go to Keith’s quarters. We’ll talk there. I’ll tell you about the rest of what you’ll have to do.”

Sven goes to Keith’s other side and puts his arm around Keith’s shoulders and the three leave the room.

 

Allura is finally dressed and she has sent Romelle and her assistants down to attend the pre-ceremony cocktails so she could be alone. Romelle didn’t want to leave her but Allura insisted.

She chose to wear a gown of rich red velvet, forgoing her usual pink. No… red. Red is the color she wishes to wear in a sort of silent homage to her Captain. Her love. She wishes Romelle hadn’t sent him away. She knows she only had her best interests in mind, but god how she wants to see him, be held by him, be kissed by him, just one more time. But he’s not here. He won’t be here. He is staying away. She understands completely his reasons, for if there were any way she could have run away, she would have. But, she can’t. She has responsibilities. It’s time to grow up Allura. Her eyes start to shimmer and her throat starts to tighten.

She walks to the window to look out over the darkened landscape pressing her head up to the cool glass and un-focusing her eyes as she looks out over the garden and across the lake to the Black Lion sitting atop the Lion Monument. Why is it wherever I look I see him? He is everywhere. Everything is him. He is Arus. She unconsciously rakes her fingers down the glass, and her tears finally burst forth. She cries out to the darkness. “My Knight. My love. Wherever you are, wherever you go, I’ll be with you. My heart is yours.”

Allura’s com buzzes. “Keith!” she races to answer the com. “Yes?”

“Your Highness this is security outside. Queen Orla is here and she wishes to see you. May she come in?”

Allura’s heart sinks to the floor.

“Your Highness?”

“Yes, please send her in.” Now hoping company will take her mind of Keith. She checks herself over in a mirror wiping off the smeared make-up and quickly retouching it. She goes to the door and smiles for her Aunt is standing in front on her. “Aunt Orla you’re here! It’s been so long.”

“Allura you’re absolutely stunning.” Orla rushes up and gives Allura a big hug, quickly pulling back to look at her niece again. “That gown! Allura what an exquisite color for you.”

Allura fights off the sensation of her throat closing again. She finally manages to answer. “Thank you. I…I just wanted to wear red.”

“Well, you should, it’s lovely.” Orla looks into Allura’s eyes. “Allura, is everything alright?”

Allura lets out a sigh knowing full well there is no point in hiding her emotions from her Aunt. Even when she was a child Orla could see right through her false fronts having always had the gift of sight. Allura moves to the large sofa in the middle of her room and sits. Orla follows suit. “I’m sorry Orla its just well, tonight is the night that the reality of my future will be right in front of me. I can’t deny my future anymore.”

“Allura I… I don’t understand I thought…well, I had a vision of you with your husband. One of my premonitions. The woman sitting before me isn’t the same woman from my vision.”

“What, what did you see?” Allura’s eyes drop to the floor. “Don’t tell me I end up with Kendrick. I already figured that.”

“I can’t see that kind of thing from my visions. I could just hear your heart. And what I see before me now is not that heart. I suppose you’re just nervous about starting a new chapter of life. And when the ceremony begins you’ll lighten up.”

“Orla…I…”

“So, this Kendrick, You really must love him. I could feel it in my vision. Your heart was singing. You know, everyone’s talking about him.”

“Love him! Prince Kendrick? Never!”

“Allura don’t lie to me I felt it. I felt the love. It was beautiful Allura. You, in love with the future King. You know this is what your mother always wished for, for you to find love.”

“Prince Kendrick is the most arrogant cocky jerk on the planet! I could never love him!”

“Oh no Allura I felt it. And my feelings on these things are always right. You will love your King. And he will return that love to you tenfold. Maybe not today or tomorrow but soon.”

“No! No! I won’t, never! Do you hear me, never! I will never love him!”

“Allura calm down. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to upset you. I thought you would want to know what happiness the future holds for you.”

“Happiness? Happiness…” Allura’s eyes begin to shimmer again. “Orla I think you should go.”

“Allura, what’s wrong? Allura tell me, what is it?”

“Please go.” Allura’s voice is a choked whisper.

 

Keith is dressed and ready to head the grand ballroom but the ceremony isn’t due to start for at least another hour and a half. He has practiced what he has to say backwards and forwards. He could say it in his sleep. He has adjusted and readjusted everything on his uniform umpteen times. He has never been so nervous in hid life. Considering how much he has been through in his lifetime that’s saying a whole lot. He is still petrified at what the people will think. After all he really is just a pilot. Would they really accept him as their future king? His first thought was to go to the pre-ceremony cocktails. He got ready early so he could, but soon he thought better of it. No, the less people he sees before he has to actually be presented the better. He knows Allura won’t be there, but Romelle might and he really doesn’t want to chance seeing her. And he definitely knows Prince Kendrick will be there. That alone sold him on staying away. But, if he keeps staring at the walls of his room he is going to grow even more nervous than he is now. So he decides the best thing to do would be to go out for a walk and get some air.

He makes his way down the halls, avoiding people as much as possible, to a private back stairway and heads downstairs, slipping out a side entrance and into the lush gardens. He smiles at the memory of sneaking behind Allura on this same route when she thought she was sneaking out unseen. How many times he can’t remember. I really did love her, even way back then. Making his way out into the gardens, he enjoys the sent of the night blooming flowers just beginning to open. He finds a group of benches and sits down to enjoy the cool breeze and the scents of the garden. He is able to see the castle from his bench. He can even see Allura’s rooms. He is too far away to see any detail, but he can make out that all is quiet inside.

He is still really frustrated that he can’t tell her that he is coming for her, that they can be together. It’s just too cruel this way. How can they do this to her? And why in the heck am I going along with it? Well I suppose I’m just too afraid to push my luck any further. He sits staring up at her room focusing comforting thoughts to her. Don’t worry Ally I know I said I wouldn’t come tonight but I changed my mind. I will come tonight and I’m not leaving alone... I hope.

He is interrupted out of his thoughts by the sounds of voices approaching. Women’s voices. Wonderful! He really doesn’t want to talk to any one so he gets up and moves into a nearby secluded nook, that few ever seem to find. It is one of his favorite reading spots. He can’t see Allura’s room from here but he should at least be left alone. He sits on a larger bench. He turns sidewise pulling his feet up and lays back to look up at the stars that are all now out. Thank goodness for wrinkle free uniforms he laughs to himself. Nanny would kill him is she saw him lying down in his coat.

He realized right away when she brought it back to him late in the afternoon that she never had intended on cleaning it. That Nanny is a sly one. He never knew she was so scheming. As soon as he put it on he knew what she had done. He takes a deep breath and smiles. The scent of his Ally is still strong. Nanny was going to be sure he couldn’t forget what he was going to loose if he gave up.

The voices are getting close now, just on the other side of the thick hedge from him. It sounds like about five or so women. They are all laughing and giggling hysterically. No wonder, for he also hears the sound of champagne bottles and glasses clinking together. He lets out a faint groan realizing that they aren’t moving on but instead stopping to sit at the cluster of benches on the other side of the hedge where he just came from. So much for quiet.

He now recognizes the voices of some of Allura’s personal assistants. Great just what I need! He knows without having to get up that the only way out, besides crawling through the hedge, would land him right in the middle of them. Crawling through a hedge is not really an option in his dress uniform. And walking into the middle of a bunch of drunken women doesn’t sound very appealing either so he decides to try and wait them out.

“So, what do you think of the selection tonight, you haven’t said anything yet.”

Laughing. “Like you have to ask.” They all laugh. “Yeah right like it’s even a contest. Come on, you know I want the same man you do. That you all do.”

Giggling. “Yeah.” More laughter. “Like any of us have a chance.”

“Man, if I could marry anyone he’s it. He’s got it all. Come on, I’ve heard you all say the same.” They all giggle.

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“Yep.”

“In a heartbeat.”

“Where do I sign up?”

Keith grits his teeth. That Prince Kendrick is a jerk. Why can’t anyone see that? They all want him? The jerk? Figures money, power…

“Hey, did any of you see him tonight yet.”

“No, he wasn’t there yet.”

“Wonder what he’ll be wearing?”

“You’re just thinking of his body again, aren’t you?”

“Oh and like you’re not. Did you see him last night in the recreation hall. Oh my god! I had to have someone peel me off the floor.”

Come on Keith focus. You can tune them out.

“It’s a formal event you know full well what he’ll be wearing.”

“Well, I’ve got a good imagination I can pretend.”

“Yeah I know what you’ll pretend.”

They all giggle hysterically.

“I bet he looks even better out of his uniform."

This is worse than a men’s locker room. Keith grabs his ears.

"I wonder how many scars he has?"

"I'd sure like to count them all!"

“Girls! Really!” They all giggle.

Oh come on! Like that guy has scars. I’ll show you scars!

“I’m glad we got out of there though. I wouldn’t want word to get back to Allura that I was drooling all over him.”

“Hey!”

“Oh come on. I’ve seen all of you doing the same thing.”

“Yeah, but can you blame us? My god he’s just too gorgeous!” She squeals.

“So what if Allura saw?”

“Are you kidding? Haven’t you ever seen those ice daggers come out of her eyes if any woman dares to breath next to him?”

Ally? Keith snaps his head to them to hear them better.

“Oh man. Yeah, I’ve seen that look.”

“Can you imagine having to be Allura and have to see him and talk to him every day? That would kill me!”

Yeah, that jerk has been hanging around her all the time. Jerk!

"Have you seen the way he sometimes looks at the princess when he thinks no one is watching? I wish he'd look at me like that." They all whimper.

That jerk has been staring at her a lot.

“I'd just love to get myself tangled up in his hair."

“Don’t start with his hair. Ohhh man. Don’t you just want to get lost in it?”

“He is it, isn’t he. The dream package. Mind, body, and looks, he is the guy on all the book covers.” She sighs.

Keith groans to himself. Oh brother!

“Yeah. Tall, dark and handsome, standing proud with those long raven locks getting all tangled up by the wind.”

What! Long raven locks? Prince Kendrick is blond!

"He's so strong and sexy."

Raven locks?

"Even his name is sexy, and soooo regal.” She purrs. “Paladin….. Keith Paladin.”

They all sigh. Then soon break out into hysterics.

Keith sits up with a shot. What the hell! Keith starts to choke gasping for breath. Luckily the women are to busy drunk and giggling to hear him.

“To bad he’s leaving.”

“Leaving? What? He couldn’t be.”

“Why do you think all the Galaxy Garrison officers have been visiting him the last few months?”

“No! He wouldn’t leave. No way!”

“Oh you should have heard what I overheard.”

“What?” They all say collectively.

What? Keith listens intently.

“Well yesterday after Keith humiliated Prince Kendrick.” They all laugh for a long time. “Well, I overheard the Prince saying to his advisor that when he becomes king, the people will have to do without their precious Captain Keith.”

“No! He didn’t. He couldn’t!”

Oh yes, I’m sure he did. Keith agrees. Hell, the guy said it to my face.

“Yeah, then he said he would make sure Keith is as far away from the planet and the princess as possible. He said that Keith's a distraction and divides the people's attention from him."

I’m a distraction? Kendrick! Really? Keith chuckles to himself.

“Well that’s true. Prince Kendrick was top dog in the castle for awhile until Keith finally made a public appearance the day before yesterday.”

They all laugh. “Did you see Prince Kendrick’s face when he was talking to the Princess but she kept looking at Keith. Man, was he jealous.”

Jealous? Of me?

“Even the other diplomats who were his best buddies the day before suddenly changed when Keith made an appearance.”

“Yeah, suddenly Keith was the man to be seen with. That must have driven him insane.”

“I was worried. Keith stayed out of sight for so long.”

“Yes I know the feeling. It’s like something’s missing when he’s not with the princess.”

“He used to always be seen with her until the suitors showed up.”

“Someone must have told him to stay away. He would make all the suitors jealous just like Prince Kendrick.”

“True. They do have everything to be jealous about however. You do have to admit, he would be a wonderful ruler and all the people truly love him. And the princess….” She starts to whimper. “I can’t imagine what hell she must be going through.” She starts to cry

Another starts to sob. “They’re just for perfect for each other it’s not fair!”

“I guess its time to give up on that stupid fairytale ending we all imagined.” They all sigh and whimper.

“Well I’m not giving up! Ladies your glasses!”

Keith hears glass clinking and champagne being poured.

“To Keith and Allura! To dreams!”

“Keith and Allura!”

Keith is stunned out of his mind. Nanny told him more about what the people said when they spoke of dreams of Allura and him as he was getting ready. He still didn’t believe her. Yet there it was right in front of him. Keith starts to smile. His mind is now really beginning to believe. Then he starts to laugh quietly to himself. Am I really that blind?

“Come on. We better head back to get good seats.”

“I don’t want to go. It’s too depressing. I’m just going to cry.”

“Come on we have to go. For Allura.”

“You’re right. For Allura then.”

Keith lies back down on the bench as he hears their footsteps slowly fade away, the laughter all gone. Boy, are they in for a surprise! He smiles. He starts to laugh again remembering what they said about him. The laughter quickly turning to embarrassment. Count my scars! Really!

Keith soon starts to feel a completely different sensation, count my scars, as he remembers a certain blond haired princess doing just that last night. She had asked him to lie back so she could really take a look at him. Oh god was that ever intense. He had to grab onto and bite down on a pillow in order to withstand her careful inspection. He remembers having to force his eyes shut as he clenched and bit down on that pillow as her fingers traced all over his body, sending him into blissful agony. Her count got up into the teens before she was distracted, forgoing her counting. She kept telling him to lay still. But with what she was doing to him then, that was next to impossible. Whoa! Wake up! Keith jumps to his feet. No time for a cold shower, buddy. Walk it off. He paces around in the garden some, until his blood flow returns to normal. Then begins to make his way to the castle. Count my scars. Really! He laughs the whole way.

Keith abruptly stops almost to the castle. Suddenly realizing something he has forgotten. In the mad rush of the day he never really had time to think. Suddenly now though he knows there is something else he has to do. Must do. He heads back out into the garden, to the heart of it.

There in the center of the garden are two large statues of two noble figures, standing tall, in the center of the garden. The images are of the former King and Queen. They reign proudly before him. Someone had the forethought to take the statues and hide them away in one of the caverns during the war. At the war’s conclusion they were brought out of hiding and symbolically placed here, in the center of the garden. A grand ceremony was held to dedicate the memorial. Instead of bringing cut flowers or other gifts, people were asked to bring plants for the new memorial garden. The gardens that now surround it were filled with those very plants. Keith had given a red rose bush that he had delivered from earth. He, himself, was given the privilege of planting his gift at the foot of the pedestal on which the statues now stand. Keith slowly walks up to the statues. He reaches down to brush his hand over a flower bud on his rose bush. He knells before the statues, bowing his head. He takes a deep breath and raises his eyes up to them. “I…uh…your Majesties.” Oh god, I can’t do this. He stands up and walks away, only to turn around and come back to the statues, placing his hand on the pedestal on which they stand. He looks up to the face of the Queen, which hauntingly looks like Allura. “I…I love your daughter. I wish you could have lived to see the remarkable woman she has become. She is an incredible ruler. She has devoted her life to the people just as you have taught her. She has won over the hearts of her people and, along with theirs, she has utterly captured mine.” He drops his eyes, taking another deep breath.

He looks up to the image of the king. “I wish I could have met you. I’ve heard so many stories of your reign. I can only hope to live up to your accomplishments.” He swallows hard. “I guess I’m trying to say…I mean ask you…if you would…I mean, would you…oh god.” Keith turns away.

A light breeze suddenly comes up from behind him, catching his hair, causing it to flutter around his face. Come on Keith. He turns back around facing the statues and into the breeze, his eyes are closed. He breathes deeply again. Opening his eyes he looks up to the image of the king. “King Alfor, I am asking you for the hand of your daughter, whom I love, with all my heart, with all my soul. I promise to care for her for the rest of my days and beyond. I…” He feels like the air is being sucked out of him. Feeling weak he suddenly drops to his knees in front of the King’s statue eyes pinned to the ground. The breeze is now whipping all around him, fast becoming wind. He feels chilled to the bone. Keith softly whispers. “I love her. I…I hope that you approve your Majesty. I…”

He starts to feel a warm tingling wash over him. He slowly lifts his gaze from the ground. His eyes are stopped suddenly at the sight of his rose bush in front of him. It seems to sparkle in front of his eyes, he is mesmerized by the sight of it. His eyes are drawn to the bud on the top of the bush as it starts to glow. Amazingly it begins to open turning into the most beautiful deep red rose he has ever seen. He reaches out to touch its soft petals. They feel like the richest velvet. Smiling he looks the rest of the way up to the statue, speechless. The breeze is gone, as suddenly as it begin. Looking back down to the flower he reaches into his pocket and he pulls out his knife, cutting it free. Bringing it to his nose he lets its beautiful scent wash over him. He looks back up to the King and Queen. “Thank you your Majesties.” He then approaches the image of the Queen and lays the rose at her feet. Looking up to her. “I gave this rose bush in honor of what you two were and what you two have given me. Your daughter is everything to me. I know that she is who she is today because of who you were and what you instilled in her. Thank you. You have already given me the greatest gift there is. Please accept this flower in my thanks.”

He slowly steps back and bows. “Again I thank you.” He smiles brightly up at them. Thank you so much. He turns and heads back to the castle, smiling blissfully the whole way.


End of Part Eight.

On to the next part.

Home, Fan Fiction, The Suitors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, My Thoughts