Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

The Suitors

1, Nanny Wakes Up
2, The Admiral Goes Fishing
3, Confessions
4, An Evening with the Prince
5, Interlude
6, A Nice Quiet Breakfast
7, The Interviews
8, The Preparations Begin
9, The Presentation Ceremony Begins
10, The Offerings
11, Epilogue

My Thoughts on the Suitors.


 


The Suitors
Part One

Nanny Wakes Up

It is mid morning on planet Arus. Nanny has the staff busy setting up the grand hall for the evenings banquet. A mixer is being hosted by the castle for everyone to meet. The castle has never been busier, not since its golden age of king Alfor.

There have been so many new people coming to Arus now since the defeat of Doom. Galaxy Garrison has several representatives here to aide in establishing the new government. They are also setting the plans in motion for their new base. It will be a bold new arm of Galaxy Garrison to maintain a strong presence and bring a stabilizing force to the area.

Then there are also all the new pilots that have been sent from Galaxy Garrison and those recruited from Arus, to train with the Voltron Force and the Lions. Finally they will have backup pilots, something Nanny could never understand why they didn’t have before. Then, her darling princess would have never had to fly.

Coran has sent for all the princess’ suitors to be interviewed and have audience with her. Now with the war over there is nothing to stop her from finally settling down and starting a family. The formal introduction ceremony is to be held tomorrow night, where those that have been deemed worthy enough will be formally announced as suitors and Allura will soon be expected to pick one to officially start courting her. Nanny has already met them all of them. They all have lots of holdings and control over other areas of the galaxy, which would prove to be strong allies. Nanny should be happy, heck overjoyed, this what she has always hoped for, for the princess. But, she has to admit to herself, upon seeing them interacting with the princess, they all seemed, well, cold. They said and did all the right things but there was something missing. They just weren’t friendly. It’s like they are just here to do a business deal. Nanny shudders to herself, the thought of her princess being just a commodity. Ugh. She would never voice her thoughts on this. No. It’s not her place to say. Her job is to get Arus an heir, no matter what.

Her thoughts soon go soft again “My poor baby.” She mutters to herself as she starts to arrange some flowers. She has been so happy the last years with the Voltron force living here. She smiles. If only those suitors could make her as happy as those hooligans have. They truly have become the princess’ best friends. Nanny wishes that the princess could find the same kind of friendship with one of her suitors that she has found with those pilots, with that pilot. Crazy woman why are you getting so soft? Friendship. What a crazy dream. One of these suitors here now will be the one. Then, she could stop fretting about it. It will be done and Arus will be getting an heir. Then she could stop dwelling on her crazy thoughts of impossible possibilities.

She moves close to one of the small side rooms, where two of the senior staff are taking a break.

“Nanny come sit with us. You need a rest too. We’re all getting too old for this. Let the young ones handle that.” The head maid laughs.

“Speak for yourself Sue, but, if you insist.” Nanny moves to a soft chair and falls into it. “Ohh, okay, maybe I do need to rest.”

The head waiter speaks. “The new staff are working out fine. Nanny you trained them well.”

“Thank you Alex. I’m so happy we were finally able to hirer on a full staff. I never thought I would see the day when the castle would be this full again. I feel like we’re back in the days of Alfor.”
“Those were happy times weren’t they?” Sue hums.

Nanny exhales. “Yes, this was such a happy place then.”

Sue hugs herself. “The King and Queen brought such love into everyone life who worked here. It was truly a blessed union.”

Alex sighs. “To bad our princess won’t have such happiness as her mother. Those men are just too stuffy for my taste.”

“Too bad she has to marry one of them.” Sue grumbles.

Nanny bolts upright. “Mind your place you two! It is not up to us who the Princess marries.”

“I’m sorry Nanny, its just we love her so much. We would hate to see her unhappy.” Sue replies sheepishly.

Nanny relaxes back down, easing into her chair. “I’m sorry for jumping on you. Well, since it’s just us three.” Nanny leans in and whispers, “I agree, it breaks my heart to see our princess unhappy, unloved.”

“To bad one of them isn’t more like Alfor. He was strong but also wasn’t afraid to show compassion and love.” Alex frowns.

Sue sits up. “Hey, do you remember how he used to run around the castle acting like a big kid when he thought no one was watching.”

They all three laugh.

Alex sits up stiff and proper. “Yes, He was always the strong leader and hero to the people when we had guests but as soon as he was alone with just staff and family he would relax.” He flops back in his chair and laughs. “Those were happy times.”

“Remember how he used to gather up the kids and play games until late in the night?” Sue smiles at the memory.

Nanny jumps in. “Oh yes, I sure remember that. I was the one who had to get the children up the next day. I would always complain to him about it. He would just shrug his shoulders and tell me, they’re only kids once, let them have their fun. Then he would flash me that devastating smile of his that I couldn’t argue with.”

Sue laughs. “I remember that smile. He used it on me several times so I wouldn’t tell he was sneaking a surprise party for one of the children.”

Alex leans on his hand. “He really did have a soft spot for kids. Too bad he only had one himself. It must have been hard on him and the queen not being able to have more.”

They all grow sullen.

Sue smiles. “He sure doted on his daughter. She had him all wrapped around her little finger.”

Nanny smiles. “Yes Allura’s memories are strong of her father. They are of a loving father and husband.” She frowns. “I suppose that’s why she is so depressed. It is unlikely that she will have that kind of marriage.”

The three sit quiet a moment longer, deep in their thoughts, happy in the memories of the past king and the sadness they feel for their princess.

Nanny finally stands up and stretches. “Well, I guess it’s back to work. Thank you. It was nice to reminisce.”

The other two stand, adjusting their uniforms and smile at her. Then they head off to resume their duties as well.

Nanny heads out onto the large patio that adjoins the hall. No one else is around. She looks around at the setup approvingly. The tables have been placed where they belong and there is a stack of tablecloths sitting on one of them. All cleaned and pressed ready to be arranged on the tables. She grabs one up and begins placing them on the tables.

She is startled out of her work by a rustling in the bushes. She looks over to where the noise is coming from. Suddenly there is a red flash that springs from the bushes and runs straight for her. He is looking back from where he came not really looking where he is going. Nanny yelps, as he is about to run her over.

He snaps his head around and quickly doges around and hides behind her.

“Captain Keith! I don’t think you should be….”

“Shh, quiet Nanny or else they’ll find me.” He whispers into her ear from his hiding place behind her.

She then hears the voices of giggling children approaching through the bushes. “Really Captain. Hiding from children.”

He jumps out from behind her. “Oh no! They’ve tracked me!” Keith shrieks so loud that the children can hear, starting a frenzy in the bushes. He races to one of the tables she has already covered and squats down by it, looking over the top, into the bushes.

“Captain this really isn’t …”

He raises his hand to quiet her. As the voices get closer, he places his finger on his lips to shush her and then flashes her a devastating smile, just before diving under the table.

Nanny is jolted back in time at that smile. God it was just like the Kings. She smiles at the memories again flooding her mind. She is jolted out of her thoughts by the noise of eight children bursting out of the bushes, looking in every direction.

“He was here. I know I heard him.”

“Yeah me too. I heard too.”

They run up to Nanny. ”Nanny, Nanny have you seen Keith?”

She looks down at the little anxious faces. “Well I…”

“There he is! I see red!” A little girl runs and flips up the cloth revealing the captain. “I got you!”

Keith scoots out the other side and jumps to his feet. “Oh no you didn’t. You have to tag me.” He smiles big at the girl.

“Get him!” They all yell and run at him.

He runs. Quickly dodging between the tables. Letting the kids get close then just evading before they can touch him.

Nanny cannot help but laugh at the sight on their cool commander playing tag with the children. Just like Alfor would. Just like Alfor? Nanny’s eyes go wide. Oh my goodness! He is just like Alfor. Her thoughts all come crashing down around her, so fast she has to sit down. She sits watching Keith, in utter shock at her realization. Finally Nanny’s eyes are opened, now seeing for the first time, how similar Keith is to the former king. He is everything Alfor was. They don’t look alike but their character is identical. How could she have been so blind? Keith is, in every part of him, the hero king. Keith is the King. Keith is the King?

The kids finally have him surrounded. They are all giggling hysterically. “We got you now Keith!” They exclaim.

He drops down and then springs up into the air flipping up onto one of Nanny’s tables and then flips off of it, clear of the children. He runs for an open expanse of green just off the patio. He turns and yells back. “Sorry about the table Nanny.”

The children scream at his escape. “Get him!” They all run full out after him.

Keith runs just fast enough to keep barely ahead of the children. Once they are all in the clear he fakes a stumble and then rolls onto the lawn. Eight excited children then all at once tackle him on the ground. “We got you. We got you!”

Nanny hears their triumphant cheers. She can just make out the red of his uniform peeking out from a pile of squirming kids. Nanny can’t help herself and she bursts out into laughter at the sight. She has to hold her sides, for they are starting to ache from her laughter.

Eventually the throng all settles exhausted from their game and they lay sprawled out on the lawn quiet. Nanny continues to watch. The captain eventually sits up. One of the younger kids, seeing her chance, leaps into his lap. He puts his finger on her nose and smiles at her. Soon all the other children are all huddled around him. They all listen intently as he begins to tell them some tale.

Nanny shakes her head suddenly realizing that she has flushed. “Oh my.” She smiles at him. Well Captain Keith I suppose I can excuse your behavior this time. A thought flashes in her mind. A treat, they deserve a treat. She puts down the tablecloth and heads for the kitchen.

Nanny soon returns with a cartful of goodies. She pushes it to the edge of the patio and then makes her way across the lawn to the huddle sitting in the middle of the sea of grass. She listens as she approaches.

Keith is telling a story, gesturing wildly with his hands. “So that’s when the Blue Lion swooped in and landed over me, shielding me from the falling rocks.”

“Wow! So the princess saved you?”

“Yep.”

“No way! Princesses aren’t supposed to save people. You’re supposed to save the princess.”

“Well, not that day. That day she saved me.” He smiles at the boy.

“Well, okay if it was only once.” The boy grumbles.

“Oh no. She saved me lots of times.”

The little girls in the group get huge grins. “Really?”

“Yes, I’ve lost count at how many times.”

The girls all squeal with delight.

Keith looks up to Nanny as she arrives with a sheepish grin on his face.

Nanny crosses her arms and looks sternly down at the captain.

“I’m really sorry Nanny. I messed up all your work. I’ll help you fix it.”

Nanny lets her scowl turn into a smile. “Oh don’t you worry yourself about that Captain. You’ve been working so hard. You need to relax.” She continues to smile big at him.

Keith rubs the back of his neck. “Uh. Nanny, are you feeling alright?”

“Of course Captain.” She leans over looking at the children. “So, does anyone want some milk and cookies?”

The screams of delight are deafening “Yes! Yes! Please!” They all scream.

“And you Captain? Would you like some?” She smiles at him.

He leans back a bit, eyebrows raised. “Um, yeah… sure… I’d like some.”

“Good. Come everyone.”

All the children jump to their feet and start buzzing around Nanny. Keith remains sitting on the ground, still wide-eyed in shock.

Nanny walks up to him. “Well Captain, are you coming?” She reaches her hand down to him.

He looks up to her still dazed.

“Come Captain.” She shakes her hand at him.

He tentatively reaches his hand up to hers and she grabs it and deftly pulls him quickly to his feet.

He starts to take a big step away from her but is stopped mid stride for she still has a firm grip on his hand. “Come on Captain. I have a special treat for you.”

“Uh… you… do?” Keith chokes out the words.

She drags him across the lawn towards the cart, the swarm of children following. Finally she releases her grip on him when they reach the cart. “Here you go children.” She opens the cooler in the cart and passes out the milk to the children. “And here’s one for you Captain.” She passes him a glass, which he tentatively takes in, eyeing it cautiously. She laughs. “Oh Keith, its fine, its just milk.”

Nanny and Keith both jump at the realization that Nanny just called him by his first name. They stare at each other for a moment, in total shock.

Nanny recovers quickly. “Well now I think I packed some, oh yes here they are.” She retrieves a tray of cookies and sets it down on a nearby table. The children quickly descend on it. “Now for the Captain.” She returns to the cart and pulls out a perfect slice of cheesecake. “Here you go Captain. I know you love my cheesecake. I made it for tonight’s banquet, but I thought you would like the first taste.” She hands it to him.

He is in total shock, frozen still, holding the glass of milk exactly as she handed it to him.

“Captain?” She waves it in front of his face.

He jumps, suddenly seeing the plate.

“Captain. Are you felling okay?”

“Um… I’m fine Nanny.” He takes the plate. “Uh… Thank you?” He looks at her curiously then looks to the plate, lifting it to his nose and smelling it.

“Oh don’t you start making me laugh again Captain. Now go sit and eat it. Enjoy.”

Keith just stands there frozen.

She then walks up to him and has to physically turn him around and push him to the table where the children are sitting, guiding him into a chair.

He sits down but still holds the plate in one hand and the glass in the other. “Nanny?”

“Yes Captain.”

“What did we have for dinner two nights ago?”

“Well, we had soup, then a salad course, then beef steaks that Hunk gave me a recipe for, with vegetables on the side and then dessert was green ice cream. Why do you ask?”

“Just checking that you are the same Nanny.”

“Oh Keith!” Nanny squeals and starts to roar with laughter again holding her sides.

He jumps. Again she called him by his first name. He finally manages to set down his food. “Nanny, maybe you’re working to hard? With all the people here you’re overstretched.”

“She puts her hand on his shoulder. “Oh no Captain. It’s actually the opposite. Now that I have a full staff, I get to supervise. I’m actually doing less.” She squeezes his shoulder. “Thanks for worrying.”

“Well maybe you should do more.” He mutters under his breath.

“I’m sorry Captain?”

“Um. Thank you Nanny. Children what do you want to say to Nanny?”

A chorus of voices erupts from the table. “Thank you Nanny!”

“You’re welcome children.”

Keith carefully forks up a piece of cake and eyes it curiously, slowly putting it into his mouth. He closes his eyes as the flavor washes over him. He chews and swallows slowly, savoring every taste. “Nanny this is delicious!” Quickly taking another bite.

“I thought you would like it. It’s my special recipe. I only make it on extra special occasions.”

“What’s the occasion?”

“Well, I was going to give it to whichever suitor Allura favored tonight at the banquet. But I think you should have it.”

Keith starts to choke on the cake he is eating.

Nanny gives him a firm smack on the back.

Coughing, Keith grabs his glass of milk to sooth his throat. He looks up to her. “Nanny, why me?”

“I just thought you deserved it more than anyone.” She smiles at him and pats him on the cheek. Just leave your plates here, I’ll have someone come out and clean up later. Have a good day Captain. Goodbye children.

“Goodbye Nanny, thank you.” The children answer.

Keith shakes his head then finally manages to speak. “Yes. Thank you Nanny.”


Nanny walks away, smiling. Returning to the hall her staff, all slowly noticing the strange expression on her face, nudge each other. Eventually everyone in the room is watching her. She is blissfully unaware of their stares. A look of pure delight etched on her face. Every workers jaw hits the floor.


Lance Gets A Strong Ally

Lance paces nervously in the hall, slowly gathering the courage to knock on the door of the room the Admiral Bailey is staying in. He and four other high-ranking officers have come to Arus to celebrate the victory and also help establish stronger relations with the newly establishing government. Also, now that the region is safe for expansion, they are here to start their plans in motion for establishing a new Galaxy Garrison base in this area, Arus being the obvious choice to locate it.

He finally stops his pacing, straightens his uniform, takes a deep breath, and knocks on the door.

“Come.” the voice from inside calls through the com.

Lance opens the door and walks in, standing at full attention in front of the admiral.

“It’s good to see you Lance.” The admiral walks around the desk extending his hand to Lance who takes it. “Oh, who am I kidding? Come here.” He pulls Lance into a bear hug.”

They both pull back from one another smiling at each other.
“I’m so proud of you boys. You do my heart proud.”

Lance smiles at the man. He was the one that helped him most through his academy days pushing him to do better and acting as a surrogate father for many of the boys while at the academy.

“So Lance what can I do for you?”

“Sir, I have some questions I thought you might be able to help me with.”

“Come let’s sit.” They both move to the sofa and sit down together.

“So Lance what’s bothering you?”

Lance shifts a bit in his seat. “Well, you see sir, I have this friend”

“A friend?” The admiral smiles.

“Yes. He is an officer in Galaxy Garrison he is completely dedicated to his job. He is duty bound to serve when he is called on to move. But I’m afraid his heart isn’t in it anymore.”

So, your friend, would his heart be somewhere else now?”

“Well yes. He is afraid to act on it. He feels he is going to be called away at any time to serve elsewhere. I think it would destroy him though if he were to actually leave, might even crack.”

“I see. Well Lance we have provisions for that. If, your friend, were to say get married, if that’s where I’m thinking you’re headed. You, I mean, he, could have her join him on his next assignment. Lance this happens all the time. Galaxy Garrison doesn’t want our people to miss out on life. My wife and I traveled for years together when I was a space explorer. We even had two kids in space.”

“Sir I’m afraid it’s more complicated than that.”

“How?”

“The woman is as duty bound as he is. She cannot give up on her own obligations.”

“I see. Well if she can’t move maybe, your friend, can request a permanent assignment where she is.”

“I don’t think that can happen sir. I’m sure Galaxy Garrison has other plans for him. I don’t think they would let him stay.”

“Lance please, no offence but you’re not that indispensable. Let me see what I can do.”

“Sir, I’m not talking about me. Look this really is a friend.”

“Sorry son I thought you were… So then, who is he? Why is he so important?”

“Sir I really can’t say, other than he is higher up than me and loves, well, he loves a noble.”

“Oh Lance I understand now. You’re talking about Sven and Romelle. I’ve known about their engagement for some time. We already came up with a solution for him. Since we now are starting to establish ourselves out here it made perfect sense to offer him a permanent position as liaison to Pollux. What better way is there to show our support to the area than to have one of our officers as the future prince of Pollux? Its all been arranged. So, don’t worry yourself about it.” The admiral leans back on the sofa. “Now we just need to sit back and see what happens here on Arus. Which one of those men will we need to start a dialog with? I tell you with Arus’s new government and future king still in the unknown, we don’t know what kind of relations we are going to have. What if they recede from the alliance taking Voltron with them? What would we do then? I hate to imagine. We’ve come so far thanks to all of you. I would hate to see that disintegrate.”

“Sir I’m sorry but, I wasn’t speaking of Sven either.”

“What? Then who?”

“Ugh, Sir... Oh he’s going to kill me…. I’m speaking of my captain,”

“Your Captain!” He jumps up from the sofa. “Keith?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Well, that’s just impossible.” He starts to pace. “He is too valuable to leave behind. I’m sorry son but I don’t think anyone would agree to let him stay. The only reason he’s still here is the brass cannot decide who needs him more.”

“Sir I think it might help you with your concerns about Arus.”

“Oh come now Lance. He won’t have the control he has now. Soon they will have their own government and a new king. He would be revered as a hero but really wouldn’t have any say in Arus’s future.”

“Sir. What if…. he were to be, Arus’s new king?”

The admiral freezes in his tracks and shakes his head. “What! Wait a minute are you telling me that Keith and the Princess…” His mind is visibly racing.

“Yes Sir.”

The admiral is deep in thought a smile grows on his lips. “Lance, are you sure you’re right about this?”

“Well I’m sure that the feelings are there. They are both just too afraid to let their feelings out. Keith feels he will be reassigned at anytime so he won’t act. And she, well she feels the same.”

“And you’re sure it’s real love?”

“Sir, just watch them you’ll see it.”

“Okay Lance. Let me consult with the other Galaxy Garrison officers here. Let me see what I can do. My god could you imagine? The legendary Captain Keith as the King of Arus. Wow! What a powerful union that would be. This region needs this. This planet needs this.”

“I know sir. Too bad he doesn’t see it that way.”

“He doesn’t? How could he not see what power and respect he would bring to the planet?”

“I don’t get it either sir. Somehow he still just sees himself as just a pilot.”

“The savior of this region, just a pilot? You’re joking!”

“No sir.”

“Well we’ve got a job ahead of us then. Thank you Lance for letting me know.” The admiral shakes Lances hand and smiles. “Captain Keith, the crown prince of Galaxy Garrison.”

“What!” Lance slowly smiles. “Well I suppose you’re right sir. If we had such a thing, he would be it wouldn’t he?”

“Well he truly has become larger than life, hasn’t he?”

Lance smiles at the admiral, and nods his head. “Thank you Admiral.”

“I’ll do my best Lance. I don’t know if I can pull it off but I’ll try.”

Lance leaves the admiral’s room. Making his way down the hall, slipping his hands in his pockets, his thoughts stay with his two closest friends. I sure hope you can do something admiral.


End of Part One.

On to the next part.

Home, Fan Fiction, The Suitors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, My Thoughts

 

 

 

Nanny walked away, smiling. Returning to the hall her staff, all slowly noticing the strange expression on her face, nudging each other.

Eventually everyone in the room was watching her. She was blissfully unaware of their stares, a look of pure delight etched on her face. Every worker's jaw hit the floor.