Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

The Suitors

1, Nanny Wakes Up
2, The Admiral Goes Fishing
3, Confessions
4, An Evening with the Prince
5, Interlude
6, A Nice Quiet Breakfast
7, The Interviews
8, The Preparations Begin
9, The Presentation Ceremony Begins
10, The Offerings
11, Epilogue

My Thoughts on the Suitors.


 


The Suitors
Part Three

Confessions

Allura is now bored out of her mind. If she hears any more, ‘oh look what I have’, she thinks she will scream. Oh just shut up already! She finally turns to the man currently sitting next to her. She lets out a loud, extremely fake yawn. “I’m sorry I must be getting tired. It’s been a long day.”

“Oh yes Princess. You must get your rest. You have a big day tomorrow.” He stands extending a hand to help her up. “May I escort you out?”

“Thank you, but no. I have some business to discuss with the captain before I turn in.”

“Well then, have a good night my Princess.”

I’m not your princess! She thinks to herself then smiles. “Good night my lord.” She then makes her way to her Captain. Keith turns to her as she approaches and bows most gallantly taking her breath away. The two new recruits beside him mimic his movements.

“Good evening Princess Allura. How are you this evening?”

“I am fine Captain. A little warm though, with all these people.” She starts to fan herself with the folded menu he sent her, causing the slyest smile to grow on his lips. “Captain, do you have time now to go over that situation we discussed earlier?”

“Why yes, now is a good as time as any. Would you excuse me gentleman I have some business to take care of.”

The new recruits give him a snappy salute and he returns the gesture.

He then extends his arm to her and she tentatively takes it, the physical contact affecting her more than she cares to admit.

Keith’s voice hesitates a bit. “Um…how…” He swallows. “How about we go outside? It…it will be cooler.” He let’s out a breath.

She nods and they head out to the private balcony off to the side of the great hall, both avoiding looking at the other.

Coran, having been watching them from outside, sees their approach and quickly finds a dark corner to hide in behind some plants. His mind is still reeling.

Keith and Allura exit the hall onto the balcony. They both quickly survey the surroundings. As the door closes behind them they burst into laughter.

“So my Captain, how did I do?”

He bows again with all the grace Nanny has drilled into him and then some. “Thank you so much, my Princess.”

She smiles almost giggling as she curtseys to him. Now, he can call me ‘my Princess.’

He starts to laugh again and leads her winding around the planter in the middle of the balcony over to the railing overlooking the moonlit lake, taking in the view and the fresh air. They separate, and he leans up against the railing looking out to the water.

She sits on a bench against the planter about three steps behind him. The planter completely blocks the view of the door so they are unseen from inside and can finally feel alone at last.

They both speak at once. “Thank you for…” They break into laughter again.

“You first, Princess.”

“Thank you for providing me an excuse to get out of there.”

He looks over his shoulder to her. “Wait, you got me out of there.”

“Well it happened to work out for both of our benefits. All those eyes watching me, trying to catch mine.” She shudders.

“Allura, are you cold?”

Before she can answer his coat is off and he drapes it around her shoulders. “There. How’s that?” He moves back to the railing. Looking back out over the lake.

The smell of him in the jacket is intoxicating. She closes her eyes and pulls the jacket closer.

He keeps looking out. “So, you’ve had enough for one night then?”
“I’ve had enough for a lifetime.”

He turns around and leans back against the railing to face her. His face is flat. His voice is suddenly weak. “Does that mean you’ve made a choice?”

She looks up to him meeting his eyes, which now look lost. “No Keith… I… I haven’t.” she drops her eyes to the ground.

“Oh, I’m glad. Not that I, I mean I’m just um…” His voice fades out.

She looks back to him with a questioning look. It’s so strange to hear him stammer like that.

He turns back to the water. “It’s just they don’t seem to be very well, I don’t know, Kingly? Not that I would know the difference. But when I hear the tales of your father, of all that he did for Arus and how he loved your mother. Allura I want you to have all that. I want you to be able to respect your King. I want him to be honorable like your father. I…” He leans deeper on the railing and sighs. “Oh well, I suppose it’s just too much to ask for.”

“No Keith, it’s not too much. That’s exactly what I want too. I want to be able to look upon my husband with pride of all he has accomplished. And when he looks upon me I want to feel safe and loved. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for”

“No Allura. No, it’s not. It’s what everyone should have.”

“It would be so much easer to say yes to a proposal from one of those men in there if I haven’t already felt those feelings. Now that I know I can feel that way about someone, it’s impossible to imagine a marriage without it.”

He turns his head back to meet her eyes.

She is startled to see such pain in his eyes.

“Allura, you’ve felt that way about someone?” His voice is almost a whisper.

She whispers back. “Well, yes… and I still do.”

“One of them… in there?” His voice is now cracking.

She drops her eyes again. Say it. Just say it. “No Keith, I feel that way about…about...you.”

Keith slowly turns around against the railing and allows himself to slide down to the ground against it. He tucks his knees up wrapping his arms around them. “Ally, I… I’m…” He drops his head into his knees, hair flopping down over him.

“I’m sorry Keith. It’s just some silly dream.” She looks on him in mourning. The only man she wants. The one she can’t have.

He slowly lifts his head. His eyes, half covered by his unruly hair, are glistening.

Her eyes go wide in shock and concern for her Captain. “Keith? Keith, are you okay?” She slides off the bench and moves up to him. Kneeling on the ground in front of him, she puts her hands on his forearms. “Keith I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.” She looks deeply through, his hair, into his shimmering eyes and finds she cannot look away. Her whole body coming alive, being washed over by the love she has for her Captain.

His voice cracks out. “Ally, I….” His breath shudders. “It’s killing me to see you in there with all those suitors. Knowing that one will take you away from me.”

Her whole body is shaking. Even with his coat on, she shudders to her core. “I’m sorry Keith.” She breaths out the words and drops her head onto his knees.

He drops his head beside hers, reaching a hand up to the back of her head nestling it in her hair. They sit lost, both wishing for what they cannot have, the unshed tears, finally, welling up in both their eyes.

Coran is in shock. He saw and heard the whole scene from the shadows. How could he have not seen it? And here they are now sitting before him. Two people he truly loves, both, dying of heartache, because of him. His blindness. He has been looking to replace the king for so long he never noticed that he was already here. He’s got to find a way to fix it! Hopefully the Admiral has something figured out on the Galaxy Garrison problem. As for Coran’s end well Keith will have to go through the same interview as the other prospective suitors. Coran starts to hatch a plan. He smiles and starts to wipe away his own tears. Now he wishes there was a way for him to sneak off, but there is no way out. Keith would surely discover him. No, he would have to wait.

Luckily he doesn’t have to wait long as another couple heads to the balcony. The door swishes open, snapping Keith and Allura to their feet. They both quickly move to the railing looking out to the water both wiping their faces.

Coran sees his chance and using the distraction, moves out of his hiding place. “Hello.” He addresses the new couple. “You haven’t by chance seen Captain Keith?”

“No Coran I’m sorry.”

“Over here Coran.” Keith replies.

Coran makes his way around the large planter to the couple. “Great I’m glad I found you… Captain… Princess.”

She just nods still looking out over the lake.

Keith slowly turns to face Coran. He has regained his noble stature, eyes dry. But the redness around them is still evident, even in the moonlight.

Coran smiles. “May I speak with you a moment Captain.”

Keith nods and they walk off to the side.

“I will be conducting some more new recruit interviews tomorrow morning starting at ten. Would you be available to help me? I could use your input.”

“Of course Coran. Whatever you need. I will be there.”

“Thank you Keith.” He gives him a pat on the back. “Good night I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Suddenly Nanny bursts onto the scene. “Princess, Princess, you’ll catch your death!” She sweeps to the princess with a thick cloak in hand.

The two men watch in mild amusement and slowly approach.

Nanny wraps the cloak around the princess coat and all. “Oh thank you Captain for loaning her your coat. You are always such a gentlemen.”

“Uh, my pleasure Nanny. Keep it. I won’t need it until tomorrow night.”

“Don’t worry it will be cleaned and returned to you by tomorrow afternoon.”

“Nanny really that’s too much it doesn’t need…”

“Nonsense! Nothing is too much to do for you Captain. You’ve done so much for us. Let me do something for you.”

Allura, Coran and Keith’s mouths all drop simultaneously. Coran shakes his head. Is this really Nanny? Singing praises of the Captain?

“Uh. Thank You Nanny.” Keith finally manages to speak.

“You’re very welcome.” She then turns to Allura. “Princess, may I talk with you tonight? If it’s no trouble?”

“Of course Nanny, it’s no trouble.” Allura exchanges bewildered gazes with the two men.

Coran shakes his head again. Nanny she asked and didn’t demand? “Nanny, are you okay?”

“Yes Coran I’m fine. Just excited about tomorrow. Just happy.”

Allura laughs. “Nanny you’re happy?”

“Yes I’m happy what’s wrong with that?” She then winks at the Captain who leans back a bit to keep his distance. “Come Princess. It’s getting late and too cold for you out here. Goodnight gentlemen.”

Coran nods “Goodnight.”

Keith bows. “Goodnight Nanny.” He meets the princess’s eyes on his way back up. “Goodnight Allura.”

Nanny doesn’t even flinch at his use of Allura’s first name. “Oh Captain, you can be so dashing.” She giggles and then whirls Allura into the castle.

Keith runs his hand through his hair. “Okay now this is getting really weird. She didn’t even yell at me for using Allura’s name. Something must be really wrong with Nanny.”

“You were testing her Captain? I’m surprised.”

“Well It’s just she has been really odd all day.”

“How?”

“Well, this morning I was out playing with the kids. She started acting strange then. She was annoyed at me at first, running through her setup with eight kids at my heels. But later, she brought us out milk and cookies and she was like, well like that. All flowery and roses. I don’t even want to talk about dinner.”

“Must be the stress.”

“Yeah, that’s what I figured.”

“Or…” Coran rubs his chin.

“Or what?”

Coran smiles, covering his mouth, so as not to laugh.

“What Coran? What?”

“Well, it almost looks like she might…” He laughs.

“Might what?”

“Well, she might have a crush on you. Heck, every other female on the planet does.”

Keith grabs his head with both hand and groans. “You don’t know how badly I wish you’d never said that.”

“Come on son, it could be worse.” He pats Keith on the back still chuckling.

Keith jumps away. “I don’t want to know.” He heads for the door.
“Hey. It could be…”

Keith spins around holding up his palm to Coran “I know what your thinking and don’t even say it!”

“What? What’s wrong with Haggar?”

“Ugahhh!” Keith buckles over grabbing his head again, almost pulling his hair out, letting out an intense guttural groan. Keith eventually straightens up, tensing his whole body, and then shaking it off. He turns to face the door then defiantly strides away.

“Good night Captain.”

A grumble is Keith’s only reply.

Coran smiles. No we can’t let him go.

Keith tries to push the thought of Nanny having a thing for him out of his mind. He needs to see that Allura gets to her room safely. He is almost out of the banquet hall.

“En Guard Captain Keith!” A familiar voice shouts behind him. Followed by the sound of giggling women.

Not now. Keith grumbles to himself as he slowly turns to meet Prince Kendrick, the walking, talking Ken doll. He has two beautiful women by his side and appears to be a little drunk. “My, we’re dressed a little casual tonight.” He looks Keith up and down. “Lose something?”

Wonderful. So, is he going to try to get me to fight again? Keith chooses to ignore the prince’s comment.

“Come Captain, have a drink with me.” He smiles at one of the women and then back to Keith and whispers in his ear. “I’ll share.”

Oh please! What is this guy up to now? “I’m sorry Prince Kendrick. I’m going on duty soon. Perhaps another time?”

“You disappoint me. When you get off duty then?” He leans in and whispers again. “We’ll be up all night.” He winks.

“Sorry Prince Kendrick but…”

“No buts Captain. I’ll see you later.”

Before Keith can respond the prince has turned and is escorting his ‘ladies’ out onto the balcony Keith just came from. Keith says a silent prayer. Asking whoever’s listening to please let him never have to see Prince Kendrick ever again. Fat chance but a fun thought nonetheless. He is now thankful more than ever to be on graveyard shift.

Keith shakes his head and turns to resume checking on Allura, walking quickly through the hallways to catch up. As he is rounds a turn almost to her quarters he sees ahead of him, a quick flash of the fabric of the cloak Allura is wearing, as they turn a corner ahead of him. He silently sprints down the empty hall reaching the corner just in time to see Allura and Nanny enter her quarters. He lets out a breath laughing at himself. Why can I never relax until I know she is in her room? The Admiral was right. Soon that job would be someone else’s and he would have to give it up. He shudders at the thought of Prince Kendrick being that person. He tries to toss that horrific thought away but he can’t. It has been nagging at him ever since Prince Kendrick had arrived. He is most likely to be the next King of Arus.

Grumbling to himself Keith heads to his own quarters. He changes into his work uniform and heads to castle control.


Nanny leads Allura to her quarters, keeping her all wrapped up in the cloak.

Allura is still baffled at how Nanny is acting. She starts to notice a faint noise coming from her. “Nanny, are you humming?”

“Oh, well yes dear.”

“Are you okay Nanny?”

“Yes. Why does everyone keep asking me that?”

“Well, it’s strange to see you so…happy.”

Nanny laughs as they reach the princess’s quarters. She leads Allura to the large bench in front of her mirror. She takes the cloak off her but leaves Keith’s coat on, guiding Allura to sit on the bench. She goes off to hang up the cloak, soon returning to stand behind the princess. She puts her hands on Allura’s shoulders. “So Princess. How was your evening?”

Allura is still deep in shock. Why hasn’t she taken Keith’s coat off me? Normally she would have ripped it off me as soon as she saw it. Something is really strange. Allura chooses not to mention it, for she is still enjoying his scent coming from it. It finds its way to her nose. She smiles, closing her eyes breathing him in.

“You haven’t answered. How was your evening?”

Allura smiles bigger.

“So, you had a good evening then?”

“Well Nanny, yes and no,”

Nanny starts to release Allura’s hair, letting it fall down over the coat. Slowly all the pins and combs are removed. Nanny reaches for a brush.

“So Nanny what did you want to talk about?”

Nanny starts to run the brush through Allura’s hair. “Well Princess. I was just thinking. You will be married soon and busy with a new family that, well, we wouldn’t be able to spend as much time together.”

“Nanny, we’ll still be together.”

“Oh yes I know but, well, who knows how your husband will be. He might not like me hovering.”

“Nanny that will be my decision to make, not his.”

“Oh, I don’t know Princess. It seems to me those men aren’t the understanding type.”

“Nanny! Just yesterday you were singing their praises to me, even picking out the ones you liked the best.”

“Yes well that was yesterday.”

“So, what’s the difference today?”

Nanny laughs, setting the brush down. She gathers up all of Allura’s hair between her hands pulling it back behind her, placing her hands on Allura’s shoulders and running her hands up and down the arms of Keith’s coat. “I just see things differently today, that’s all.”

“Nanny you’re not making any sense.”

“Wow. I never noticed how many medals our captain has. Look at all these.” Nanny moves to Allura’s side sitting the opposite way on the bench so as to face her and starts to finger the medals. “Princess do you know what all these are for?”

“Um, well some of them.” Allura looks down to the gleaming medals on the coat.

“He really is amazing isn’t he?”

“Nanny!”

“Well he is. I’m sure going to miss him when he’s gone.”

“Nanny?”

“So what’s this one for?” Nanny holds up one in her hand turning it back and forth so it reflects the light.

“That one. That one I know.” Allura smiles. “He got that when he was injured saving a village from attack a year ago.”

“Oh yes I remember. He saved that whole village by himself from that Doom unit on horseback, right? He was hurt pretty badly.”

“Yes, but he recovered.” Allura smiles.

“He truly is willing to sacrifice his life for Arus, isn’t he?”

“Of course Nanny. He’s done it ever since he arrived,”

“And the people they love him for it, just like your father.” Nanny starts to run her hand over the fabric of the coat. “Your father had many medals too.”

Allura stares at Nanny. Does she really think Keith is like my father? “Nanny, are you sure you’re alright?”

Nanny grabs both flaps of the coat and pulls it closed tight around Allura, wrapping her arms around her giving her a hug. “I’m fine Princess. I just can’t believe I didn’t see it.”

Allura’s unable to return the hug as her arms are pinned tight under Nanny’s embrace. “Nanny? What is it? What didn’t you see?”

Nanny continues to hug Allura tight. “I’ve been so busy looking at official suitors that that I never saw him. Saw him for what he truly is.”

“Nanny what? I don’t understand.”

“Oh Princess.” Nanny pulls back to look in Allura’s eyes. “Could you love him?”

“Nanny what? Who? You’ve lost me.”

Nanny grabs up both front breasts of the coat straightening it in front of Allura. “Who else. There is only one man out there who is worthy of you.”

“Nanny!” Allura’s eyes go wide, as Nanny continues to adjust the captain’s coat. She’s talking about Keith! Oh no, she couldn’t be! “Nanny who exactly are you speaking about?”

Nanny puts her hands on Allura’s shoulders. “Well who else but our dashing Captain Keith!”

“Keith! Nanny you always said… Nanny?”

“Princess, please tell me. Do you have any feelings for the Captain?”

“Nanny I…”Allura stops herself. Is this some sort of trap? Will Nanny try to separate us? Has she noticed our feelings for each other? Allura stiffens up. “Where is this going Nanny?”

“Well this morning the staff and I were reminiscing about the golden years of Arus and remembering your father in the happy times before the Doom attacks. I thought of all the things that made him a great king. His strength, his compassion, his love.” Nanny smiles at Allura.

Allura smiles back remembering her father. Yes he was all of that and so much more.

“So I started to think of all those suitors. Comparing them to your father. Princess they are nothing compared to him.”

“I know Nanny. But they are my choices.”

“Are you sure Princess?” Isn’t there another choice? Someone caught my eye today. He has been here for so long that I had gotten used to him. I didn’t see him for what he truly is. Always pushed him aside. It wasn’t till this morning when all the pieces lined up. He’s exactly what your father was to Arus. Just as strong, just as compassionate and he loves this planet and its people. And they love him in return.”

“Nanny, have you lost your mind! Keith? You’re talking about Keith?”

“Of course I am. Princess he is cut from the same stuff your father was.”

“But you always said I had to marry a Prince or Lord or something.”

“Well yes. You need to marry someone with great power and influence.”

“Yes I know. So why are you even mentioning this? He’s not…”

“Princess do you think any of them out there have more power or influence than the Captain? I would like to see them try to out debate him. He would thrash them all without moving a muscle. He has more influence than all of them put together.”

“Nanny, you’re serious aren’t you?”

“Of course I am. Now if we only could get you to fall in love with him and him to fall in love with you. Then that would be something wouldn’t it? Princess do you think you could love him?”

Allura glares at Nanny in disbelief.

“That would be my dream for you Allura, for you to be in love and marry our handsome Captain Keith, the hero of Arus, and for him to love you in return. Isn’t that silly?”

Allura snaps to her feet and turns on Nanny. Her eyes are burning with anger. “Nanny! I can’t believe you! All this? Now! He’s leaving us! Why are you bothering me with this impossible fantasy? I don’t need any more confusion than I’m already in. Keith will be gone soon and who knows when, if ever he will be back!”

“I’m sorry princess I forgot myself. I’ve said too much. Forgive me.”

“Nanny, just go!”

“I’m really sorry Princess. I wasn’t thinking.”

“Leave me!”

Nanny sheepishly turns to leave. “I’ll see you in the morning Princess. I’m sorry.” She leaves closing the door behind her.

Allura moves to her bed and lies down clutching his jacket tight around her. Keith is leaving. His life is not his own, much like hers. Their duty lies with others first. She closes her eyes and imagines how different it would be if they didn’t have their responsibilities. She drifts off into a restless sleep.

End of Part Three

On to the next part.

Home, Fan Fiction, The Suitors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, My Thoughts