Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

The Suitors

1, Nanny Wakes Up
2, The Admiral Goes Fishing
3, Confessions
4, An Evening with the Prince
5, Interlude
6, A Nice Quiet Breakfast
7, The Interviews
8, The Preparations Begin
9, The Presentation Ceremony Begins
10, The Offerings
11, Epilogue

My Thoughts on the Suitors.


 


The Suitors
Part Two

The Admiral Goes Fishing

Keith stands in the middle of the banquet hall, stomach full, drink in hand. Nanny had outdone herself, the meal was spectacular. He is still baffled by her recent behavior. He can’t remember how many times she asked him how everything was and if he wanted more. She kept putting more on his plate whether he asked or not. And then there was the rest of that cheesecake. He is so thankful tonight that they are no longer under attack. If he were to fly now he would explode.

He is now surrounded by admirers, all vying for the attention of the handsome captain. He is only half listening to them. He nods as they speak praises of him, but his thoughts are wandering elsewhere.

The major conflict is over. Galaxy Garrison has sent a new batch of pilots to begin training on the Lions. Also, he has recruited some of the population who are promising to be excellent choices for the program. They want to have plenty of people trained on the Lions and castle defenses so they don’t have to rely on just five pilots. That is something that they have long since needed. Back up pilots. He also understands the bigger picture. Once trained, none of them are indispensable. He would be leaving Arus. That thought is eating at his soul. How could he leave his home and his, his… He takes another drink to get his mind off it. Just then she walks in from the patio. His heart sinks to his feet. He watches her cross the room surrounded. He now completely tunes out the people around him.

She is surrounded on all sides by princes, lords and wealthy diplomats, all vying for her attentions, all wanting the strength of Arus for their own. He smiles as she gives them all individually the brush off, leaving them behind one by one, all plotting their next attempt. God, what would I do if she actually seemed interested in one of them? He closes his eyes and shakes off the thought. Please let me be gone before that happens. I couldn’t bare it.

He looks back up to see where she has moved to. His eyes find her and she is looking straight at him. She has found her way to a bench and has sat down upon it. Her eyes are looking right into him. They look tired and weary.

Ally why did you have to be a princess? He tries to comfort her with his eyes. I’m sorry Ally.

He truly can’t believe the woman she has become. He thought that he had loved her before. But as time has passed and he has seen her grow older, grow more mature, more wise, and if possible the love for her people grow too. Her beauty, well her beauty has grown beyond imagination to match the rest of her soul. He really didn’t know what love was back then. What true impassioned, unconditional, undying love was. The love he has for her now. His love has only grown stronger for her as she has grown. And that is his true torment. His love for her is killing him. And he is helpless against it. Ally, I love you so much. I want to be with you, hold you, be the one that you could love. Damn it Ally! Why did you have to be a princess? Has he ever said those words to her? No, he can’t. He has to keep it all bottled up tight inside.

“Hello? Are you there Captain?”

Keith snaps out of his haze. “Whah?” Looking around he sees Admiral Bailey looking at him with a quizzical look. “I’m sorry Admiral. What were you saying?”

“I was saying, it looks like there are a lot of people interested in marrying the princess. Do you think one of them will be the one to win her heart?”

Keith looks away from him. “Um. I really didn’t think love had anything to do with it.”

“You’re kidding me right? You don’t think she deserves to be loved?”

“Of course she does!” Keith snaps looking back at him, eyes piercing. He quickly softens remembering himself. “Um I mean, well… Admiral I didn’t say she didn’t deserve to be loved. It’s just that, well, isn’t it all about getting power and influence?”

“If you mean power as in strengthening Arus then yes, she needs to pick someone who would strengthen the planet and give the people a hero someone to look up to. Much like her father King Alfor did. But as for love, come on Keith love is the greatest power there is.”

“Admiral?” Keith raises a questioning brow. This is coming from Mr. Military?

“Okay so maybe love is asking too much. But, you have to admit Arus needs a hero king more than anything.” The admiral starts scanning the room. “I’m sure he’s here somewhere. Oh, hey maybe that one.”

A man, who looks like a lord, approaches Allura gallantly bowing in front of her. He then quickly seats himself alongside her and opens a book apparently reading off something in it.

Keith watches intently as the man leans in closer to her pointing out something in the book. He smiles as he watches, for she leans away as he leans in, rolling her eyes at the man when he’s not looking. Her hand moves to her mouth to hide a yawn. Keith wants to laugh. Averting his own eyes to control himself, his eyes inadvertently land in the Admiral’s, who is staring back at him in total amusement. Keith jumps at the realization that he was being watched, quickly looking away.

“Are you okay son?”

“Yeah. I suppose. I just have a lot on my mind.” Not a lie.

“Yes I’m sure. With all the new recruits we’ve sent you it’s a wonder you have time for anything. You should get an early night.”

“No! I mean, I can’t. Not until the Princess is finished here and in the safety of her room.”

“Always her protector, eh Keith?”

“I promised her that.”

“I don’t think it was supposed to be an all night and day job. So, are you going to be able to give that job to someone else?”

“Uh… I… Why do you ask?”

“Well it just seems that there may be someone here who will be taking over that job for you. Can you give it up?”

“Well… I… um… yeah, I suppose so.”

He gives Keith a pat on the shoulder. “Well then I think I’ll go pay my respects and turn in. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight Admiral.” Keith watches as the admiral makes his way to the princess. His mind replaying what the admiral said. Arus needs a hero king, like Alfor. He looks around the room at Allura’s prospects. He sniffs. He doesn’t feel a hero among them.


Finally that slime ball moved off. She hates this. It’s like they’re all on audition all putting up false fronts and fake smiles showing off all their holdings. Sure they all have wealth and standing but what have they done. I mean physically done. They are all the types to sit back in the background and watch the world unfold in front of them.

She looks back up to Keith again. He is talking with the Admiral. Now there are two doers, not watchers. She immediately took to the Admiral when he arrived a month ago. She smiles thinking of all the great casual talks they have had. He talks with her as a regular person not a princess, she really finds that refreshing.

She watches the two men talk. She tries to figure out the gist of the conversation. The admiral looking focused but a slight smile playing on his lips. Keith, however, is looking a little frustrated. She smiles and inwardly chuckles, always funny seeing her Captain frustrated. They then both turn their heads in her direction. She locks eyes with Keith and her heart and breath stop. She soon catches herself and quickly drops her eyes to her lap to hide her blushing face. She starts to fidget with her gown as she tries to catch her breath. God, how is it his eyes can just melt me like that. She continues to fidget with her gown trying to occupy her thoughts with anything but her captain. She has been so glad he has been avoiding her during the day the last few weeks since the suitors arrived. It’s been hard enough having to sit by him at breakfast and at dinner when the old gang gets together. It has been taking all of her focus not to stare at him constantly when he is in the same room with her. It has gotten worse since all the suitors have come. She finds herself constantly comparing them to Keith. She sighs to herself. Keith. Even just thinking his name gives her shivers. I love you so much Keith. I ache when you’re not with me. And I ache even more when you are, for I cannot be with you the way my heart desires. I can only look at you, talk to you, and if I dare touch you, that hurts the worst. To touch you without really getting to touch. Why do you have to leave Keith? I wish I could go with you. I wish I wasn’t a princess. But, has she ever said those words to him? No, she still keeps it all bottled up tight inside, just like him.

“Princess, how are you this evening?”

“She looks up and smiles. “Admiral Bailey. Well, to tell you the truth I’m exhausted.”

“Do you mind?” he gestures to the empty side of the bench.

“Oh please, sit before somebody else does.” She quickly snaps her hand to her mouth. “Oh my! Did I say that out loud?”

Laughing as he sits. “Don’t worry, I understand completely.” He smiles at her. “They sure don’t look like much do they?”

She sighs. “No. They’ve got wealth but…”

“But what?”

“Well.” She turns to face the admiral. “They’ve got no character. My king must have a strong character. Like you Admiral.”

“Like me?”

“Well, yes. You walk in a room and people know it. They admire and respect you for what you’ve done in your life. That’s how my father was.”

“Oh come now Princess. You don’t expect any of these guys to be able to live up to your father’s accomplishments?”

She sighs. “Well I suppose not. But heck, they haven’t done anything.”

“So, then what are you looking for Princess? If you could make up your dream husband, the new king, what would he be?”

She smiles and laughs. “Hmm, let’s see. First the people would have to respect him.”

“The people?”

“Well, yes. A king is as much for the people as he is for me.”

“I see. So he would have to be bigger than life. Someone they could admire, look up to, aspire to be like. They would instantly follow his lead. They would love him. A hero, like your father.”

She smiles at him. “Yes, that would be my dream king.”

“But what about you. What would he be for you?”

“Me? Oh that doesn’t matter, the people…”

“Oh don’t tell me that. Look at your father again. How did he relate to your mother?”

She sighs. “Admiral, they truly loved each other. He was her love, her best friend, her protector.”

“Well wouldn’t you want that too? We are talking about fictional dream king.” He smiles.

“Well of course I would want all that. Who wouldn’t? I just don’t like to think about it. It’s just a fantasy. Trying to replace my father, the Hero King. What a crazy dream that is.”

“But it’s a nice dream.”

“Yes, yes it is.”

“So, you didn’t mention what assets this man must have. What wealth must he bring to this union?”

“Wealth? Admiral Arus doesn’t need all that stuff. We have our own resources here. Besides it seems to me all these guys offer is holdings that will need our support. Sure we might control more but at what cost. It seems they gain more than Arus does.”

“Ah, I see. You really have been checking up on them haven’t you? So what does Arus need then?”

“Arus needs a leader, someone to pull us up. Inspire the people. Help our own people rebuild. There is much more pride in that. The people will feel the accomplishment and pride in their work.”

“So, you don’t think any of those suitors would do that?”

“Honestly, no. They will make a show of it. But their first loyalties would be elsewhere. They could never devote themselves to Arus.”

“I see.” He smiles. “So I’m looking for, if I got this right.” He pulls out a small notebook and pen and starts to write. “A hero that the people look up to and would follow. Someone who could be totally dedicated to Arus. And finally, someone who could love you, be your best friend and protector.” He then takes the pen and starts targeting people out in the room. He nudges her. “Come on Princess let’s play.” He laughs. “Oh no, not Coran, he’s too old for you.”

“Okay Admiral, I’ll play your game.” She starts scanning. “No. No, Oh god no! No. No.” She laughs. “No. No.” Then silence. Her eyes land on an imposing figure dressed in his formal uniform, covered in ribbons and medals. He is surrounded on all sides by people wanting to speak to him or at least shake his hand. Her heart sinks. If only it could be him. She unconsciously bites her lower lip.

“Princess did you hear me?”

“Huh? What? I...” She drops her head to hide her flushing face.

“Oh found a prospect did you?”

“No. I just...”

“Let’s see. Our Captain Keith.” He taps his note pad as he reads his scribbling. “Well there’s no doubt that he’s a hero to the people and that they look up to him and follow him. Heck your people love him, idolize him even. Just look at him now.”

She looks back up to her Captain standing across the room from her. Three small boys are approaching him. He kneels down to their level and shakes their small hands. Then they start talking, the boys touching all his medals smiling big as Keith tells them what the medals are for.

“Now the question of his devotion to Arus. Is it true what I’ve been told, that when you were actually able to get him to take time off from protecting Arus that he would go out to the villages and help them rebuild or else he is found out playing with the many orphaned children?”

“Well, yes. He really doesn’t do much else.”

“I see. So he…might be… devoted.” He smiles and laughs.

She looks at him and starts to laugh. To say Keith might be devoted to Arus is just hysterical. “Yes he… might be… devoted.”

He looks back to his pad. “Now as for your needs.”

She suddenly stiffens, eyes going wide.

“Well, he’s already sworn himself your protector. Everyone knows that. And I believe he is a good friend of yours. Is he, if I may pry, one of your best friends?”

“Well… um… he and I…”

“Is he, perhaps, your closest friend?”

“Uh...” Her cheeks flush. “Yes. Yes, he is my closest friend.”

“I thought so.”

She watches Keith who is now holding a little girl that is kissing his cheek as her parents take a picture. After handing the child back, he is soon tackled from behind by a small boy, who has wrapped his arms around Keith’s legs, sending him to catch his balance. Keith reaches down and lifts the boy off him and into a hug. She recognizes the boy as one of the guard’s sons. Keith whispers something into the boy’s ear then glances back to Allura. The boy nods and Keith sets him back down. They both move to a nearby table turning their backs to her. Keith eventually turns and hands the boy a wrapped up napkin.

The Admiral looks back to his pad tapping it again with his pen. “So, that just leaves us with one last thing.”

She swallows hard her eyes still on her Captain.

“Does he love you?”

As if he too heard the question, Keith looks over to her. Their eyes lock, a slight smile on his lips. He runs a hand through his hair. His eyes seem to see right into her.

“Pincess Arura?” A small voice speaks.

To Allura’s surprise the boy is standing right in front of her.

“Hello James.” She smiles at the guard’s son.

“Pincess, Capin Keeff wanted me to giv this to you.” He holds out the napkin.

“Why, thank you Sir James.”

The boy’s eyes light up and he hands her the napkin. He starts to blush, then spins, bolting back to the captain.

She smiles after the boy who hugs onto Keith’s leg. Keith’s hand drops down to ruff the boy’s hair as he speaks to a couple. His eyes every so often move, looking in her direction.

“So Princess, what’s in it?”

“Huh? Oh.” She slowly opens the napkin to revel a single white rose that he plucked from the centerpiece and a folded copy of that evening’s menu.
“Now isn’t that interesting?” The admiral hums.

She picks up the menu, unfolds it and reads. She starts to laugh.

 

‘Please help me Ally.
Give me an excuse, any excuse to get out of here.
I need air. I’m suffocating.

 

Allura’s face is beaming.

“So, what does it say?”

I don’t think I should tell you. It might change your tough guy image of our Dear Captain.”

“Really? Hmm. Well, I hate to leave you unprotected but I have to get some reports turned in.” He slowly stands and bows regally. “It was fun playing our game. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yes it was. See you tomorrow Admiral. Thanks for being my bodyguard.”
“Oh you’re very welcome Princess, anytime.”

She watches him as he leaves. He heads over to her advisor Coran the two speak a moment and then leave together.

The seat next to her isn’t vacant long, another suitor moves in without introduction “Hello Princess Allura may I share this with you?” He quickly turns on a viewer flashing pictures of his home before she has a chance to respond. She pretends to be interested in what the man is spewing. But now, her mind is gone thinking about her dream King.

The Admiral leaves the princess, looking for her advisor. This is just too good to be true. They really are in love with each other. God you could just feel the electricity in the air between them. Funny how I never noticed it until Lance told me to look for it. He is surprised to feel goose bumps rising on his arms. He shakes it off. Boy I am a softy. He starts to smile.

“Admiral you seem to be in a good mood.” Coran looks quizzically at him.

“Oh, well yes you could say that.” He looks at Coran. The man looks haggard and overwrought. “Would you care to step out with me? I could use some quiet and by the look of you, you could too.”

Coran nods and they head for a small private balcony off to the side of the hall. The glass door opens onto the lush garden planted on the balcony, which overlooks the lake. The night air is brisk and refreshing. There are so many plants in containers you could get lost, almost like you’re in the forest itself. The lighting is very dim, almost nonexistent, so as not to compete with the night sky. They are alone.

The admiral takes a deep breath. “I still have a hard time getting used to the beauty of this place.”

“Yes, the planet is recovering faster than I could have imagined.”

“Coran, I’m sorry, but you look beat.”

“Well, I’ve been busy researching and confirming all the suitor’s claims. It would be foolish to accept a contract from one and have it be misrepresented.”

“Yes it would be. So any real prospects?”

“There are four who seem the most promising. They’re actually all about the same. I’ll be interviewing them tomorrow.” He sighs.

“Not Alfor are they?”

“Oh god no, Not even close.”

“It’s a shame. Now is when you need someone like him.”

“Yes. He was a great King.”

“What was it about him that made him great? I never met him, just heard stories.”

“He ruled out of devotion to his people, much like his daughter does. The people’s happiness was everything to him and they loved him for that. He risked his life many times to save them. Ultimately sacrificing his own life for his people.”

“I sure don’t see any of them doing that.”

“No, I would have to agree with you there.”

“So, what was he like privately? Was he so busy? He probably had no time for family.”

“On the contrary. He was a doting father. And he and the queen were deeply in love with one another. The feeling of love spread to every soul on the planet.”
“So he was a loving king who was also the planets savior and hero.”

“Yes, that and much more.”

“The poor princess.”

“What?”

“The poor princess. No wonder she is so distraught. None of those suitors even comes close to the memory of her father. To have grown up with a man like that and know that a marriage could be so happy so loving. It must be crushing to have to sacrifice having all that.”

“Yes, my heart does ache for her. I truly wish she could love her husband as her mother loved Alfor and that she could feel that love, be truly loved in return.”

“And the people. I feel sorry for them too.”

“Oh? Why?”

“Well, to have been lead to victory under such a courageous leader as Captain Keith, and then to have him be replaced by one of those men in there, well it must be a big let down.

“Yes, I suppose it would be. The captain is a fine man. The people truly look up to him. He has devoted his life to the planet from the moment he set foot on our soil.”

“And to the Princess.”

“Yes, and to the Princess.”

“Look at him now. The people really love him.”

“Yes, yes they do.”

The two men move to where they can clearly look in the room through the glass door. They watch as the captain converses with two young men, who are both new recruits from Arus.

Coran smiles. “He has inspired the next generation to want to be like him. He is a true leader.”

“They will be sad to see him go.”

“Yes the planet will mourn his leaving. A sad day indeed.”

“And the princess she will be sad to.”

“She will be devastated.” Coran looks to the princess inside.
“Devastated?” The admiral looks to Coran.

“She sees him as the savior of her people. Hell, he personally saved her so many times I shudder to think about it. And, he is her best friend and confidant. She turns to him with many of her problems. Things she could never tell me.”

“Coran, can I speak freely with you?”

“Of course Admiral.”

“What if Captain Keith didn’t have to leave?”

“Come now Admiral you know as well as I, Galaxy Garrison would never let him stay. He’s too valuable.”

“What if his job here had the utmost importance to the planet, as it did before?”

“Is there some new threat I need to be aware of Admiral?”

“No Coran, nothing like that. Let me make this plain. What if Keith became the next king?”

“You’re joking?”

“No I’m serious. He may not be a noble, but he is more noble than every suitor in that room combined. Dare I say, as noble as Alfor himself?”

“Well I…” Coran stumbles.

“The people regard him as a hero just like Alfor. They love him with all their hearts. They would readily follow his leadership. And the Princess.”

“What about the Princess?” Coran looks inside at the princess.

“She loves him even more than the people. She is in love with him.”

“What!” Coran snaps his head around to the admiral.

“Coran have you been so busy running everything and finding suitors that you haven’t seen it?” The Admiral looks back into the room. “Truthfully, I never saw it either. Not until someone told me to look for it.”

“She, loves him?”

“Yes and he loves her.”

“He…I…I just thought they were close friends.”

“Yes on the outside, but in their hearts there is love. It has been drummed into them for so long that they cannot be together that they have just bottled it all up inside. But, it’s in their eyes”

“Love? I never imagined. Keith and the Princess?”

“As someone else told me just watch them you’ll see it. He is just like Alfor you know. Can you blame her?”

“Uh...I.”

“Well I think I’ve said my piece. I will be in my quarters. Watch them Coran. You’ll see it.”

The admiral turns to leave leaving Coran alone with his thoughts, smiling to himself. Yep, there is a reason they always send you in during tough negotiations Admiral, now lets see how this plays out.


End of Part Two.

On to the next part.

Home, Fan Fiction, The Suitors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, My Thoughts