Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

The Suitors

1, Nanny Wakes Up
2, The Admiral Goes Fishing
3, Confessions
4, An Evening with the Prince
5, Interlude
6, A Nice Quiet Breakfast
7, The Interviews
8, The Preparations Begin
9, The Presentation Ceremony Begins
10, The Offerings
11, Epilogue

My Thoughts on the Suitors.


 


The Suitors
Part Four

An Evening With the Prince

Keith arrives at castle control and makes a circuit around the room. He is still amazed how quickly everything has changed since the end of the war. All of the new recruits know their jobs well. He still finds it odd to see control full of people at night. No more lone graveyard shifts. Which is actually a really good thing. They can now rotate between jobs on the night shift so as not to get bored, keeping everyone fresh. He laughs to himself remembering how many times he came in to find Lance or Hunk napping at the controls. Heck, he even caught Coran asleep at the wheel once. Never told him though.

“Keith. Good I found you.” Coran enters control. “Can we talk?”

Keith looks at him quizzically and he leads Coran into a small private meeting room off of castle control. “What’s up Coran?”

“I need you to do me a really big favor. I know what I am going to ask is going way beyond the call of duty but I hope you will do this as a favor to me.”

“Sounds like I’m not going to like what you’re going to ask.”

“I’m sure you’re going to hate it.”

“Go ahead then, tell me.”

“Prince Kendrick has asked me to have you join him tonight.”

“Prince Kendrick! Coran please! I can’t. Anyway I’m on duty tonight.”

“I’m overriding that order. Keith, please. He’s asked and his reasons are sound. He wants to make sure there are no ill feelings between you two. He said he wanted to apologize and be friends. Please Keith, just spend the rest of the evening with him. For me?

“Sounds to me like he just wants to put on a good show.”

“Keith you know as well as I, that is what politicians are all about. It would show good faith on Arus’ part if the two of you could be civil.”

“Civil! Coran, are you forgetting what he did to me!” Keith starts to pace angrily.

“I’m not blaming you Keith.”

Keith pauses to glare at Coran. “And what about what I told you about him? His... diversions?”

“Look Keith you’re going to have to let go of your ideals. This is reality. He is, in spite of his philandering ways, most likely the next King of Arus. Not everyone is perfect Captain.”

Keith stops in front of Coran, every muscle tense. “Coran I can’t believe you! We’re talking about Allura’s husband! You’re willing to let that jerk be her husband! Ally’s husband?”

Coran stands his ground. “Don’t you dare shout at me! I am fully aware of what the ramifications of my decisions are. Unfortunately Arus needs him.”

“So now we get down to it. It is all about Arus to you isn’t it? You don’t give a damn about her!”

“Keith, please think. That is her lot in life. She was born to serve others. Her life is secondary. Don’t make this any harder on her than it has to be. Come, you of all people should know what it means to live a life in service to others.”

Keith spins away finding a chair he drops into it, bending over to bury his head in his hands. “I’m sorry Coran I…”

Coran walks up to him and places a hand on his back. “I understand Keith. You care about her. You want only the best for her. I am sad to say, he is it. Do you think you could let it go, just for tonight and pretend to get along?”

“How long do I have to spend with him?”

“Two hours.”

Keith sits up. “Two hours! Absolutely not! Are you trying to drive me mad?”

“Okay one hour then. Look I’m not asking you to like the guy. Just act like it. One hour. Don’t make me have to make it an order.”

“You’re going to owe me big time for this Coran.”

Coran smiles. Thank you Keith, I really appreciate it.

“So, where is he?”

“He said he would be down in the recreation hall.”

“Oh great. I get to go meet my favorite person in my favorite place. Did you invite Lotor too?”

“Oh come on Keith, it’s not that bad.”

Keith slowly stands up and runs his hands through his hair putting it back in place. He then lets out a groan. “Coran you have no idea.”

Keith heads back to his quarters to change again. The last thing he wants to do is walk into the recreation hall in his bright red, ‘Hello, look it’s Keith’ uniform. He puts on a basic pair of black slacks and a black lightweight sweater and pulls his hair back loosely into a ponytail. Looking himself over in the mirror, Well Captain you can’t get more nondescript than that.


Anything could be farther from the truth. If Keith could for once look at himself and see him as other people do, “nondescript” is entirely the opposite of how he appears, of what he is. His tall, sleek, muscular frame is marvelously enhanced by his “nondescript” clothes. The cut of the pants he is wearing is just right. The silky soft material hanging loosely, yet as he moves giving hints of the strong body beneath. The thin black sweater clings to him, showing every toned muscle of his arms and torso beneath, dramatically accentuating them. As for his hair, in pulling it back he has put emphasis on the line of his strong jaw and cheekbones. The few lose strands, which refuse to be contained, are softly framing his face, drawing attention to his dark eyes, which, from all the black he is wearing, seem all the darker. In short the guy could have just walked out of a magazine ad. He is strikingly handsome. Yet, he can’t see it. He has never seen it.


He takes a deep breath and heads off to the rec. hall. Why in the hell am I doing this? I know this guy is just going to be using me. He swallows his pride. Coran is right. He would only be making it harder on Allura if he can’t let go of his ideals for her perfect husband. Her fictitious perfect king doesn’t exist so, just let it go. Keith decides he has to stay quiet, for her sake. Pretend to get along with the guy. His only saving thought is that he soon would be reassigned and be able to escape from this hell he now lives in. But from one of the deep places in his mind there is a nagging voice that keeps telling him he will never escape. He will carry his grief with him, forever.


The recreation hall is a room that had been shut down during the war, no need for such a thing. But now, with the influx of people it has found its use again. It’s basically a place to go and get away from it all. For guests and staff alike. It reminds Keith of a combination of an old tavern and a nightclub. A type of place you would find back on Earth. His teammates have readily been coming here since it reopened after the war, but Keith has rarely stepped foot in the door. Not his kind of place. It is a place people go to meet and get to know one another, something he has no interest in.

He steps in the door and all of his senses are assaulted at once. His eyes quickly adjust to the dim lighting seeing across the room the colored flashing lights of the dance floor. Loud music is blaring into his ears. Making it difficult to keep track of the other sounds around him. There is the faint scent of alcohol and sweat lingering in the air. A foul smell to his nose. He finds it all unsettling. And this is a place people come to relax? Amazing.

He makes his way through the crowds of people. This place truly has become very popular especially with the visiting dignitaries. As he is weaving through the throng he sees many people staring at him. They’re probably in shock to see me here, he muses to himself.


The truth is however that, yes they are taken aback by seeing him, but not because of what he thinks. No. Both men and women alike are impressed by the sight of him. His presence makes him look like he is standing a good foot taller than everyone else. The air seems to move out of his way as he walks. He is awe-inspiring. The man in person, is every bit the legend. A few women find themselves having to sit down to steady themselves, others just blatantly stare letting their eyes wander taking in his breathtaking looks and physic. The people who see him approach politely move out of his way. Those who don’t see him quickly do double takes, the ladies jaws dropping, as he passes them, no one can take their eyes off him. Soon it seems like the whole room is looking at him. Whispering about him.

I really hate this place I don’t see what the other guys see in it. He keeps looking around the room for Prince Kendrick. God, I must be really freaking these people out by being here. They won’t stop staring. Keith eventually spies out Prince Kendrick in the crowd, still with the two ladies that accompanied him here from his home world. They were introduced as his aides and everyone believed it, but Keith knows better, shaking his head in disbelief. He actually brings his own entertainment with him wherever he goes. And this guy is the best the galaxies have to offer? This womanizing two-timing prick!

Keith has hated this man from the moment he laid eyes on him. Instantly seeing his two-faced nature. The man does and says all the right things when it matters, but the real him, a man so few actually seem to see, is a manipulating worm. Using people, unknowingly to them, to his advantage. In other words he’s an incredible politician. That’s the worst of it. Yes he would be a great king. He could get things done, make things happen, albeit in a more underhanded way than Keith would like, but things would get done. But as a husband? He’d be in every woman’s bed in the castle. The man has already gotten a head start on it. Keith knows that for a fact, for he has literally caught him outside in the gardens with his pants down on a couple of occasions. Keith tries not to think of Allura having that as her husband. Oh please no. Anyone but him. His mind tells him though that Prince Kendrick is the most likely and most qualified for the job. In spite of his personal habits, the man is a magnificent politician. And that makes Keith sick.

“Ah Captain. So you have decided to come after all. It’s so good to have you here.” The look in Prince Kendrick’s eyes telling Keith that he knows he was forced here.

“Listen Prince Kendrick, you know very well why I’m here. Please don’t pretend it’s anything more than what it is.”

“Well said my friend. May I buy you a drink?”

“Water would be fine.”

“Water? Did you hear that ladies? He wants… water?” The two women giggle.

Keith just stares at him.

“Okay water it is. Would you ladies be so kind as to get me a refill and our Captain a water?”

The two lades let their gaze linger on Keith for much longer than is comfortable. Then they both head off. Keith refuses to look at them. He doesn’t want anything to do with them. Just be polite to Prince Kendrick that’s what Coran wanted. No more.

The prince smiles brightly and puts his hand on Keith’s shoulder. To anyone watching everything about his body language is friendly. But the words that spew from his mouth are hissed. “I lost face because of you and you’re going to help me fix it. Mr. I Can’t Fence. You tricked me!”

Keith looks at him expressionless. “I never said I couldn’t fence.”

“I know what I heard!” Princes Kendrick’s fake pleasant face brakes for a second but he soon catches it.

Keith smiles at seeing Prince Kendrick’s loss of control, if even just for a second. “What I said was I didn’t want to.”

Prince Kendrick pats Keith’s shoulder and laughs loudly. Now speaking in a pleasant friendly voice. “Oh yes that was great. You really played your part well.”

Keith now sees the reason for the change. Two officers from one of Prince Kendrick’s rival suitor’s planet are now in earshot and are listening in.

“My friend, you do know you owe me now. Letting you save face like that.” He then pats Keith on the shoulder and laughs.

The two women return with the drinks and hand them to each of the men. Keith nods in thanks but doesn’t drink.

“Thank you ladies. Come lets go sit.” The prince leads them to a booth off to the side. He and the two women slide into the booth.

Keith feeling a trap, instead grabs a nearby chair spinning it around and sets it beside the table, straddling the chair, keeping the back of it between them. He doesn’t want the chance of one of the ‘ladies’ getting any ides. Who knows what this guy has told them?

One of the women smiles coyly at Keith. “You don’t wish to sit with us Captain?” She reaches out to touch his hand on his glass but Keith pulls away, shooting the woman a cautioning look.

Coran you owe me big!

The other one leans back on the bench. Locking her gaze on Keith. “I like him better over there. That way I can look at him.” Her eyes seductively wander all over him lingering on his chest.

Keith drops his eyes to his glass. Real big!

“Come now Captain. You don’t like the ladies? I told them you were coming tonight and they so wanted to meet you.”

Keith glares at the Prince. Who the hell does this guy think I am?

The prince laughs. “So ladies, the man won’t drink and he won’t….” He frowns comically. “Not much fun is he?” All three laugh.

Keith moves to stand. “If you will excuse me? I think I will be going.”

“Oh no Captain you owe me. You’re staying right by my side. Or I’ll…”

“You’ll what?”

“Ladies, I think the Captain here would love to watch you dance. Would you mind?”

The two women smile longingly at Keith as they get up. Their eyes seem to look right through his clothing making Keith extremely uneasy. One leans into him and whispers. “Anything for you Captain. Anything.” The other smiles seductively at hearing the others comment. “Both if of us you wish.” They both laugh.

Keith turns away from them gritting his teeth. Clenching a fist. One Hour Coran said only one hour.

Prince Kendrick waves them off. Laughing, the ‘ladies’ make a beeline for the dance floor.

“So Captain you must have a secret stable of girls around here ready to run to your door. Any chance of hooking me up tonight? I’m getting bored with those two.”

Keith is starting to fume. Come on keep calm. He wants to make an ass out of you. Don’t give him what he wants. Don’t explode.

“No I suppose not. You don’t seem like the type that would share.”

“Excuse me?” Keith glares at him. “Prince Kendrick, I think you’ve got the wrong idea about me.”

He then leans into Keith and whispers hissing like a snake. “I know exactly what kind of person you are Captain. You don’t want to share. I’ve seen how you look at her, how she looks at you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Oh don’t play naive with me. You, the Princess.”

Keith shoots him a piercing stare turning to stone. Oh this guys good. I’m on to his secret life so he’s trying to smear my reputation. Get something on me. There’s no doubt now. He couldn’t get me interested in his sleazy girls so now he trying for a fight. A bar brawl with the captain. He is totally bating me trying to ruffle my feathers. Well he’s not going to get it. “Prince Kendrick, I do believe you’re drunk!”

“Ah yes. I am.” He grins like a fool and hisses. “But, I know what I see. It must kill you to know I’m going to have her and you can’t.”

Outwardly Keith remains stone faced. Inwardly however, he is stung hard. Keith wants to strangle the man. Luckily, he has enough of his wits about him to remain cool. Don’t play into his game. Stay calm!

Prince Kendrick instantly changes his tone, now loud and joking again, as a senator walks close by. “Yeah and how you ended it. Magnificent show. Just like we planned.” He quickly then leans in hissing in Keith’s ear. “She will be mine, you know. To do with whatever I please.”

Keith pulls away from him. “What is your problem?”

Prince Kendrick is back to the loud happy voice” Of course I’ll have to let you win again Keith. I’d hate for the people of Arus to see you lose.” Then he stands up and moves behind Keith leaning over and whispering. “But you will lose, won’t you Captain? At least what really matters? What do you think she likes Keith? Hmmm? What? What should I do to her first?”

'What do you think she likes Keith? Hmmm? What? What should I do to her first?”

Keith closes his eyes and takes some deep breaths. Almost finding it impossible now to remain passive. Keith has underestimated this man. Prince Kendrick has discovered Keith’s achilles heel, the chink in his armor. He has seen Keith’s affections for Allura and has drawn a conclusion. And, Prince Kendrick’s conclusion is correct. The Captain is in love with the Princess and Prince Kendrick is going to torture him with that knowledge.

“Hello ladies have you met my good friend Captain Keith? “ The Prince clears his throat then kicks Keith’s chair snapping him to attention. “My apologies he a little out of it. Too much…. you know.” He tips his hand as if he were taking a drink.

Keith snaps up to his full height and sees two noble ladies from a neighboring planet standing in front of the prince. “Too much of this guys unending idiocy.” He smiles and bows to the ladies. Two can play at this game your Highness.

The prince smiles at the ladies and then frowns for they are now completely ignoring him. They are enraptured smiling at Keith as if Prince Kendrick wasn’t there. He clears his throat. “Keith, we should fence for real tomorrow. Not like that show we put on for Allura yesterday. Maybe some drills?”

Keith snaps an eye at him. “Yes, well someone needs to teach you how.”

Both ladies laugh, smiling brightly at Keith, completely intoxicated by the sight of him.

Prince Kendrick spins to glance at Keith. “Yes, Captain. Allura said I needed to practice my thrusts.”

Keith glowers at the prince, his hands becoming fists, and all his muscles tense. But, he soon quickly softens. Breathe, just breathe. That was too close. Come on man, hold it together. Don’t let him get you.

“If you will excuse us, my ladies.” The Prince nods and drags Keith away by an arm before he can say anything. He pulls them to a dark quiet corner “You need a lesson in manners Captain. You need to learn your place.”

“Don’t push me your Highness.” Keith glares at him. “I’ve been more than gracious putting up with your … your… drivel!”

“Drivel is that what it is? You’re the one lusting over what is mine!”

“She’s not yours yet!” Keith growls. Shit! He’s got me now!

“Wait a minute? Did I? Could I? Have I actually found one of your buttons?” The prince smiles manically and sneers. “You know I got so close to her last night I could almost taste her. I bet she tastes so good.”

Don’t do It, don’t react. Come on Keith keep it together, don’t let him win.

The prince walks over to a nearby older noble talking to two soldiers. “Ah Lord Dylan. It is good to see you again.”

“Prince Kendrick.” The lord bows.

The prince smiles and winks at Lord Dylan. “So, did you catch my little show for Allura yesterday? Wasn’t it great?”

“Um… well oh yes, I see. Yes it was great. I really thought… Well, no wonder.”

Keith walks up to them. The lord and the soldiers nod to him, all looking questioningly at the prince.

“Have you met my good friend Captain Keith? Keith promised me I get
to win next time. As my wedding present. Right Keith?”

Keith doesn’t answer. Safer to keep his mouth shut. He just half smiles. Will this guy ever stop? Coran, why did you make me do this?

Lord Dylan smiles. “Well you are the favored one Prince Kendrick. Good luck.” He then looks to Keith and nods as does his two soldiers. “Captain Keith, it is truly an honor to meet you.” He looks sideways away from the prince and then rolls his eyes.

Keith smiles brightly at the gesture. Good, well at least someone else can see this guys scales. “The pleasure is all mine Lord Dylan.” He bows.

The prince butts in. “So Lord Dylan. I’m trying to think of a secluded private honeymoon spot where no one can bother us, so Allura and I can get to know one another better. Any suggestions?” He shoots Keith a quick glance.

Jerk!

Lord Dylan thinks a moment. “Well I sort of like the ancient gardens of Caspia. It’s a beautiful spot, it’s where I went on my honeymoon.”

“Yes I’ve heard it’s beautiful, very intimate. What do you think Keith? Should I take Allura there?”

Keith is cold he doesn’t answer, afraid of what he might say.

Every one is beginning to feel the tension. Lord Dylan bows. “Your Highness, if you don’t mind, we must be off.”

The prince nods.

Keith bows “Good evening Lord Dylan, officers.”

The Prince then puts his arm around Keith’s tense shoulders. “Actually I’ve been there lots of times. It is very private. It’s a great place to take a woman. They just can’t say no there. Yes…. maybe I will take Allura there.”

Keith pulls out of his grasp. He is very near to exploding indeed, barely keeping control. His eyes are burning with an angry fury.

“It’s a shame really Keith. To bad you’re not nobility. You would be the only worthy advisory in this contest. Now that would be a fun fight. But, alas you’re nothing, just a lowly pathetic officer with no money, no property, no holdings at all. You have nothing but your name. What could you probably offer her, your pathetic wages? Even if you melted down all those medals of yours, you still couldn’t even buy one of her gowns. Get out of the big kid pool Captain, you’re drowning. Oh, and just in case you had any question in you mind. Once I am king I will make sure you never set foot in this castle again. You will never look on her again. I promise you that, my friend.” He smiles maniacally.

Keith knows he needs to leave, leave now. He is loosing control. The image of this man touching his Ally, being with his Ally, is driving him over the edge. He feels himself starting to shake.

The prince sees his chance and goes in for the kill. “Would you mind if we named our first child after you… Keith?”

Amazingly Keith’s mind instead, disconnects. He goes cold. Suddenly he’s numb to it all. He looks at the prince with a distant empty stare. He is suddenly confronted with the cold truth of it all. This man will marry his Ally. This man will share his Ally’s bed. He will be the father to his Ally’s children. This man will live all of Keith’s dreams. Keith’s dreams are dead. His Ally is lost. His life’s dreams, his reasons for living are over.

Keith is aware of the prince talking to him but he doesn’t care to listen anymore. What the hell does it matter anyway? He just slowly turns and walks away. He can hear the prince calling after him. But he doesn’t know what he is saying. He is vaguely aware of the people in the room as they all move to get out of his way as he makes his way out. Away.

* * *


It’s late, close to midnight and Coran can’t sleep. He has gone to the observation deck. He paces around deep in thought. He pulls out the official Galaxy Garrison letter the Admiral had presented him with when he went to see him after his wake-up call on the balcony. Keith’s new orders. He moves to a large chair off to the side and sits. He takes a deep breath, reaching over he turns on a reading light unfolding the letter for the umpteenth time and reading it again.


To Coran Chief Royal Advisor, Planet Arus
RE: New Orders of Captain Keith

Galaxy Garrison would be honored to see Captain Keith as the new King of Arus. If this union is to take place, Galaxy Garrison will permanently assign him to duty on Arus. He will remain there to oversee the creation and operation of our new Galaxy Garrison training base on Arus. His first priority, however, we realize will be to independently be in command of Planet Arus’s Lion program.

To have Captain Keith as the monarch of Planet Arus would bring great hope and unification to the region. Exactly what you all desperately need during this transitional time of rebirth and freedom. We can think of no better person for the job.


The words are still the same. Keith could stay here forever. Coran folds the paper and puts it back in his pocket. He hears the swish of the door opening, turning to see Nanny walking into the room. “Nanny? What are you doing up so late?”

“Oh Coran, I didn’t mean to intrude on your quiet.”

“Nanny is something wrong, you’ve been acting really strange today. Now you’re not sleeping. Do you need more help for the suitors presentation ceremony tomorrow?”

“Oh no Coran. My staff have everything in order.”

“Then what is it? We’ve known each other for too long. Something is really bothering you.”

Nanny moves to a chair across from Coran and sits. “Coran you’re going to go into shock over this but I’m just going to say it.”

“Okay, I’m listening.”

“I know it seems impossible to actually happen but I can’t stop thinking about it.”

“Go on Nanny.”

“Okay. I would love to see…the princess marry…Oh you’re going to say I’m insane.”

“Nanny please, just say it. Who do you want her to marry?”

She whispers. “Keith. Captain Keith.”

“What!” Did I hear you right? Did you say Captain Keith?” Coran starts to laugh.

“I knew you would think I was crazy.”

Coran slowly regains himself. ”Nanny, I’m really surprised at you? Keith?”

“Yes I know I’ve always ignored him before, but he’s perfect. He is what Arus needs, what she needs. You have to see that Coran.”

“Um, well actually…”

“Look, we could make it work somehow. I’m sure a long distance marriage could work. It would be better than the other options. I just wish they were in love. Then the match would be perfect. Just like her parents.”

Coran smiles at her. “But Nanny, they are in love.”

Nanny’s jaw drops. “What! Coran you’re joking!”

“No, Nanny I’m not. They are desperately in love with each other. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.”

“How? When?” She stares wide eyed.

“Oh I believe for a very long time now. We just forced them to stifle it.”
Coran laughs. “And here I was wondering how I could convince you of the match.”

“What? You, you approve?” Nanny stammers.

“Yes, and so does, if you can believe it, Galaxy Garrison.” He pulls out the letter and hands it to her. “Look what I just got an hour ago.”

She reads quickly and jumps up, flinging herself over to Coran, scooping him up into a giant bear hug. “This is just incredible.” She moves back to her seat beaming.

“Well Nanny we haven’t won yet. Those two have been restrained for so long. I hope they can snap out of it and admit their feelings for each other in time.”

“Yes, I guess you’re right Coran. I never thought of it like that. Do you have a plan?”

“Well tomorrow I’ve invited the Captain to help me interview the four suitors that will be presented tomorrow. Of course, I didn’t tell him that was who I was interviewing.” He smiles.

“Oh no! You didn’t? He hates being in the same room with them! Especially after that incident with Prince Kendrick.” She starts to chuckle.

“Yes, that’s why I sent Keith to go make peace with Prince Kendrick tonight.”

“What!”
“Well, I haven’t gotten a call from the infirmary so I suppose they both survived.”
“Coran, why on earth did you make him do that? Yesterday wasn’t his fault and he was following Allura’s orders.” Nanny slowly starts to smile. “Ohhh I see, you’re making him really see Allura’s options. You are a sly one, Coran.”

Coran gets a wicked grin. “Yep, I think that should get his dander up. Then I’ll show him his new orders. Oh, and I’ll have to make him an official suitor and interview him too. He will have to be presented tomorrow night with the others.”

“Oh Coran, what if he walks?”

“Well, we’ll just have to see what our Captain is made of.” He smiles. “I don’t ever remember him walking away from a fight before.”

Nanny smiles. “So, they really love each other?”

“Yes Nanny. Just watch them you’ll see it.” He smiles at her. “I think I’m off to bed now and I think you should be too. We have our work cut out for us tomorrow.”

They both stand and hug smiling at each other. Coran takes back the letter folding it and putting it safely back in his pocket, giving his pocket a pat just to be sure it’s there. They both head out to their rooms, each smiling the whole way.


A Midnight Workout


It’s a little after midnight and Lance and Hunk are just returning from escorting their dates home. As they pass the gym they hear someone inside. Quietly, they open the door to peek in.

There in the darkened gym, at one of the punching bags, is their Captain, drenched in sweat, pummeling the poor bag into submission.

Lance smiles and whispers. “Come on while he’s distracted.”

The two slowly sneak up on Keith. Lance looks at him curiously. God he’s really going at it. I wonder what’s up? Lance thinks they finally are close enough to Keith, close, but not so close that he could strike. No, Lance has learned that lesson too many times before, never again. “Hey Cap! Watcha doin’?”

Keith whirls around fast his foot just missing Lance’s face. He drops to the floor in a crouch ready to pounce, his hair covering his eyes.

Hunk puts up his hands. “Whoa! Hey. It’s just us. Relax Cap.”

Keith takes the back of his arm wiping his mouth with it and growls at them. “Get out of here! Leave me alone!”

Hunk steps back. “Gee sorry Cap we didn’t mean to…”

Then Lance sees it and his face pales. A wet streak of a tear runs down his Captain’s face. Lance looks into Keith’s eyes, which are mostly covered by his hair. Keith’s eyes are red, the light glistening in them. “Keith? Keith, what’s wrong?”

Keith, seeing he’s been discovered, quickly stands and spins around hanging onto the bag for support. “Please just go.”

“No Keith. We’re your friends. Come on, you can let us in. We want to help.” Lance walks up to Keith and cautiously puts a hand on his shoulder, ready to jump if he attacks again. Lance relaxes, feeling Keith release the tension in his muscles. “Keith, please? Let us in.”

With those words their brave Captain, who led them to the defeat of Doom, cracks. He cries out and falls to his knees on the mat below, burying his face into his hands.

Lance motions to a stunned Hunk to grab the towel sitting on a nearby bench. Hunk nods and gets it, handing it to Lance, who is now kneeling next to Keith on the mat.

Hunk sits down in front of them. His face switching from shock to worry at seeing his Captain this way. Lance puts his hand on Keith’s shoulder. They sit there a long while, only the sound of Keith’s racked breathing echoing in the room.

Slowly Keith regains control, sitting up a bit. Lance hands him the towel and he takes it, burying his face into it, breathing deeply.

Lance can feel how ragged Keith’s breath is, so full of emotion. Love stinks! Lance sighs. “If only she wasn’t a princess and if only you weren’t the most valuable asset to Galaxy Garrison.”

Hunk snaps his head up. “Huh?”

Lance looks at his burly friend and smiles. “Our poor Captain here is in love with the unattainable and I happen to know for a fact that the unattainable is madly in love with him. So you see, we have a problem.”

Through the towel Keith’s muffled voice speaks. “Lance, just forget about it. It can’t be. I just need to get over it.”

Hunk is dumbfounded. “So it’s true? You two are in love?”

Keith winces and buries his face deeper in the towel.

Lance turns to Hunk. “Yes they are, and it sucks! Why can’t people just let them be? All this stupid responsibility and tradition. Hunk, they’re going to ship him off and make her marry some weenie that doesn’t even love her!” Lance slams his fist into the mat. “It’s just not fair!”

Hunks eyes begin to glisten. “Well what if we just whisk her away. You two could live somewhere else.”

Keith starts to chuckle raising his face from the towel and smiles at Hunk. ”Oh I could see the headlines now.” Keith gestures with his hands. “Voltron Force kidnaps princess once sworn to protect.”

Hunk drops his head. “Sorry, stupid idea.”

Keith smiles reaching out a hand to Hunk who returns the gesture, clasping Keith’s hand. “Its okay Hunk, at least you can make me laugh.” Keith drops his head. “I just have to get over it, in my own way. It just isn’t meant to be.”

“It’s bullshit!” Lance exclaims hitting the mat again. He turns to his Captain. “Why? Why do you have to be so perfect? If you weren’t then they might have let you stay here. But no, they want you elsewhere. Captain you’re too damn good for your own good!” Lance locks eyes with Keith who stares back at him. Keith’s lips begin to smile and soon, he starts to laugh.

Lance glares at him but soon finds himself laughing too. “Okay, that was stupid. I suppose if you weren’t so perfect and more like us she would have never fallen in love with you.”

Keith smiles, dropping his head.

“She does you know. She truly loves you.”

“I know Lance. I know. It’s eating me alive.”

Hunk stands up reaching an arm down to each of them. “Come on lets get some sleep it’s been a long day. Besides Lance, remember you’re leading Lion practice tomorrow.”

Keith looks up to Hunk, “Now Hunk, sleep, is an excellent idea.”
Hunk pulls them off the floor. Both men put an arm around their Captain’s shoulders and head out the door.

End of part four

On to the next part.

Home, Fan Fiction, The Suitors 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, My Thoughts