Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

Greatest Gift

1 Why Keith Hates Christmas
2 The Academy Years
3 A Christmas Wedding
4 Keith Loses Everything
5 Keith's Angel

6 Meeting the King
7 Meeting the Queen
8 Awakening
9 The Hunt
10 Time of Reckoning
11 The Dreamtime
12 Christmas Morning
13 Epilogue

About The Greatest Gift


The Greatest Gift A Voltron Christmas Tale
Chapter 12
Christmas Morning

Keith's slowly woke up disoriented at first, a dull throbbing ache in his wrist. He was dreaming he was in his house but it was different, … Allura was there and… He slowly became aware that he was not alone, a warm weight was laying against him. Then, realizing his arms were wrapped around that person he pulled away, sitting up a little. The body stirred, a disheveled blond mop of hair obscuring the face. "So much love…" the woman's voice mumbled. He sat up stirring her awake. "Allura?" He pulled even further back. "Allura, is it you?"

She groggily sat up looking at him, eyes trying to focus, still shaking sleep from her head. Then suddenly realizing he was awake she lunged for him grabbing him up in her arms holding him tight. "I thought I lost you!"

He didn't return the embrace he pushed her back eyeing her curiously. "Allura? Is that you? I mean really you?" He then grabbed her, flipping her to lay on her back alongside him, propping himself up on his elbow to loom over her.

She was stunned at his sudden move, completely frozen, lying back against the bed looking up at him.

He studied her face intently, cautiously reaching out a hand to touch her cheek. It was not the gaunt and hollow one but the smooth soft one he remembered. He let his hand go to her shoulders. Not just bone but muscle. His hand then traced down the side of her torso along her ribs which he could only lightly feel now. His hand moved to her belly feeling the skin beneath the fabric of her gown, he ran his hand along where the ragged scar should have been but only the flawless skin of her belly was there. Nothing but smooth soft skin over toned muscle. He held his hand there for the longest time. He then blinked, snapping to his senses, realizing what he was doing. He blushingly looked up to her face, locking eyes with her, hand remaining on her stomach. "Ally, is it really you?"

She looked up to him eyes wide, body shivering, still reeling from his intimate touch. "Keith? What… is it?"

Could this really be his Allura, the one he left behind? Was he home? His lips barely hid a smirk as his mind thought of the question that would give him his answer. "Allura, who should fly the Blue Lion?"

Allura's face quickly grew angry. She fought her way out of his grasp pushing him back against the bed as she twisted around angrily, finally pulling herself up to kneel in front of him, every muscle in her body and face twitching, completely enraged. "You! How could you even ask such a thing?" Her whole body started to quake. "I am the Blue Lion Pilot! It is my birthright to fly it and neither you nor anybody else is going to stop me! No matter the risks! Do you understand me?" The words spewed from her mouth like venom.

The smile that grew across his face took her completely off guard. He slid up reaching out his braced hand to her cheek. "I missed you, Ally." He sent his other hand to her head to caress her hair.

She closed her eyes and nuzzled into his hand. "Keith?" Her eyes opened to find his staring right back into hers getting completely lost in them. She covered his hands with hers holding them tight. "I couldn't find you. You were here but I couldn't find you."

He dropped his gaze from hers. "I'm sorry."

She reached out and raised his chin to her, he was looking much like the lost little boy from his dreams. She regarded him a moment her eyes threatening tears. "I thought I lost you." She closed the gap pulling him into an embrace, each holding onto one another afraid to ever let go, eventually pulling back enough to get lost in one another's gaze again.

Are you ready to risk, Keith? Are you ready to live? His angel's voice asked him again as he looked at the woman in front of him.

"Ally." He breathed as he ever so slowly reached a hand to her cheek and into her hair lacing his fingers behind her head. He then pulled her to him, finding her lips and loosing himself there as they completely melted into one another, their hands and limbs busily fighting to pull them closer to deepen the contact. Keith fell completely back against the bed Allura going with him, so lost in one another that they didn't hear the doctor enter the room.

Gorma cleared his throat and the two froze and then quickly buried their instantly mortified faces into one another. "I came to see why your vital signs had elevated so rapidly." Allura then rolled off grabbing her blanket to wrap up in, perching on the side of the bed as Keith reached down grabbing up his own covers to shield himself with, both completely embarrassed. Doctor Gorma rubbed his chin, a sly grin on his face. " Glad to see it's not more nightmares." He moved to the side of the bed. "Well Keith, it's good to see you up and awake. Feeling alright are we?"

Keith dropped his eyes.

The doctor smiled at him. "Do you mind if I do a quick check."

"Well actually I…"

"Only take a second." The doctor moved up to the head of the bed. "Looks like your color is all back in your skin." He shined a penlight into Keith's eyes to check their reaction to the light. "Can you feel all your fingers and toes?" The doctor moved to Keith's feet flipping back the covers touching each digit. "Can you feel that?"

"Uh… yeah I can."

"Good. And your fingers?" Keith held up his good hand. The doctor took it in his, touching each finger then moved to the bandaged and braced arm touching each finger. "Feel all that? No numb spots?"

Keith nodded.

The doctor smiled. "Well you got really lucky. I don't know how long you were lying out there. It's amazing that you have no signs of frostbite on your extremities and are not suffering from exposure. And, how's the wrist?" The Dr lifted Keith's arm removing the immobilizing arm brace and gently put Keith's wrist through some rotations. "Still a little stiff and swollen but mending well." He glanced to Allura sitting on the side of the bed as he replaced Keith's brace. "And, how are you doing? All… rested … I assume?" She blushed dropping her head. The doctor smiled again. "Well, I think then..."

A loud scuffling outside cut the Doctor off calling their attention to the door as Lance soon stumbled into the room wearing bright red flannel PJs, caring a huge box in front of his face. "Hey Princess, we decided since…" He dropped the box down then doing a sudden double take. "Cap! Hey guys Keith's up!" Lance was then in a sudden wash of panic, spinning with the huge box and tossing it out the door adding to the chaotic shuffling noise outside.

"What Lance? You decided?" Allura grinned, thankful for the diversion from the Doctors scrutiny.

Lance looked to Keith then back to her pleading with her to not ask. "It can wait. So Cap." He moved to the other side of the bed as the rest of the team shuffled in all smiles all dressed in pajamas and lounge wear. "You feeling better? You were a little woo hooo when we found you." he twirled a fingertip at his temple jokingly.

Keith looked to Lance confused. "What do you mean?"

Sven walked up behind Lance. "Well for starters, you wished the whole planet a Merry Christmas!" They all laughed at Keith's now bewildered expression.

Lance crossed his arms. "Yeah, you wished it to me, Sven, … the Black…. "

"The castle" Sven added putting a finger to his lips.

"What?" Keith shook his head grabbing at his forehead.

"Alright you guys." The doctor chuckled moving in. "Take it easy on the fella." He turned to Keith. "He's had a rough morning." He smirked at Keith, raising a brow, bringing a flush of crimson to wash over Keith's face. "I think he needs a little more… rest" He gave Keith a wink. "And I know you all have lots to do with the party today."

"Aw come on Doc." Pidge wined. "We just got here."

The Doctor shook his head and began trying to shuffle them out. "No, you guys should go. I'll let you see them later. I believe they both need a little more… quiet time."

Keith wanted to disappear into the bed. He turned to see Allura looking very much the same, locking in a 'hide me' eye lock with her that was not wasted on Lance or Sven who both turned to each other smirking.

"Yes, you're right doctor we really should be going." Lance smiled.

Sven moved to Allura looking at her intently, and then turned his scrutiny to the also flushed Keith. They both fidgeted under his eyes. He stared at Keith now giving him a critical glare making Keith pull away guiltily. Sven laughed. "So, did the princess wake you up… Mister Sleeping Beauty? Hmmm."

Keith stammered. "No…I…NO!" Keith started to twitch.

Lance grabbed Sven pulling him away. "Come on buddy let's leave these two to their… quiet."

Keith watched as the gang and doctor all left the room, Lance and Sven apparently really enjoying their little joke. Keith stared at the closing door for a moment shaking his head. "They're going to eat us alive."

"Us?" Allura asked, looking at him quizzically, snapping Keith to look at her in total panic. Did he misinterpret her feelings? Did he totally screw up and… Her face cracked into a glorious smile and she started to giggle, pointing at him. "If you could see your face right now…"

"Why You!" He grabbed her and managed to flip her around, tossing her onto the foot of his bed, springing up to pin her there. "Oh you are going to pay!" He then restrained her arms in his good hand, gently attacking her ribs with the other, tickling her out of her skin.

"Keith!….ahh…." She laughed writhing beneath him. "Keith!… You!"

He stopped his onslaught, growing quiet, his grip on her relaxing as he loomed over her, taking in everything about her. His eyes then looked into hers seeing the fire in them that was his Allura and was now becoming aware that that connection he had lost was back, he could truly feel her again. "You were gone to me, I… I had nothing so I…"

She pulled a hand free and reached up a finger laying it on his lips. "Shhhhhhhhhhhh. Were both here now." Her finger traced down from his lips to his chest. She studied him, a mischievous smile soon playing on her lips. "So tell me, how is it you were found in red leather? Hmmmmmm"

"I…. I was?" Keith's mind was sent into a frenzy and he sat up looking at his body. Up until now he had imagined it had all be some intense dream and he was just knocked out and imagined it all. "You mean I wasn't in my… I wasn't?"

She sat up. "No, Sven said you were found in a different uniform and that it was all torn. Where were you?"

Keith suddenly not feeling well at all fell back into the pillows on his bed, his mind struggling with the idea that it all had really happened. His eyes then focused on the ceiling tiles. "I… was lost, you were gone and well I… went for a walk, a walk I don't know if I would have returned from." His eyes shimmered a bit in the lights from the ceiling. "I met someone out there. He showed me this world, a dark world. What could have been. He helped me see again."

Allura sat watching the play of emotions wandering over his face, as if he was reliving it all. She slowly lowered herself to lay against him, nestling into the crook of his arm, her head wedged into the hollow of his neck. "Who is this man so I may properly thank him?"

Keith began to chuckle, his arm wrapping around her. "umm, bout that… well he said his name was… Al, and that he was my… oh this is silly, he said he was my guardian angel."

Allura started to giggle. "Al?" she smiled against the skin of his neck. "Well, I thank your angel."

Keith's eyes drifted shut as did Allura's, each of their free hands seeking the touch of the other's skin tracing slow circles. Keith then told Allura the tale of where he had been, when he finished he pulled Allura tight. "I still can't believe it was all real, that I was dressed in the uniform from that other place."

Allura having traveled to other planes of existence really couldn't argue whether it was real or not, and that he had returned to them in different clothes was enough for her to believe his tale. "Mmmmm, well you're here now. Safe and whole. The strange thing was for me, you were always still here, I could feel your presence, you were here, yet not. The others all thought I was just crazed, well okay, I was, but I did feel you."

Keith rolled to his side to face her, hand brushing her cheek. "I promise you. No matter what happens today tomorrow, whenever, I'll never do that again, to you or our friends. I'm sorry."

She didn't answer him with words but instead leaned in and found his lips. The kiss was a slow tender one, full of all the bottled up emotion each had been carrying. They fell back asleep foreheads touching both finally able to relax knowing the other is safe.


The cool morning air met Orla's face bringing a rosy glow to her cheeks as she walked up the snow kissed hill that overlooked the valley below the castle. Reaching her destination she brushed the snow from a stone bench then reaching into a basket she was carrying she pulled out a blanket to shield her from the cold and then sat down upon it. She closed her eyes a moment then looked up upon the monument that stood atop the resting place of her younger sister.

"Merry Christmas", she smiled into the morning sun. "It is truly a Merry Christmas." She then entwined her hands to bring them to her lips, closing her eyes she reached out to the ether with her spirit and found the smiling form of her sister looking as beautiful as ever, her long golden locks flowing all about her.

Orla slowly came out of her trance her own eyes simmering. She smiled reaching into her basket and pulled out a bouquet of Christmas flowers setting them on her lap and then reached back in lifted out a bottle of sparking cider, her sister's favorite label, and a glass. She opened the bottle and poured herself a glass. Lifting the glass to the monument she toasted her little sister and the legacy she had left in her wake. "Sister, I so wish you could be here and see the woman your daughter has become. She has the gift, stronger than I have seen in generations but this I suppose you already knew." Orla smiled imagining her sister's spirit most likely visited Allura often. "She has your kind and gentle soul with the tenacity of her father, she will be a wonderful queen. You did well."

Orla's eyes drifted shut and she swallowed. "Sister, Allura is a woman now..." Orla smiled, eyes still closed, a flush of color washing over her. "and she has found love." Orla hugged herself . "He is everything you had always dreamed of for your daughter and more. I am so happy for her. Oh, how I wish you were here to see it." Orla stood up unwrapping the bundle of flowers then walked up to the monument and spun, a breeze came up out of nowhere as she released the flowers and they each rose up into the air and were swept to the heavens.

"I love you my sister, and I miss you." Orla whispered onto the air as she watched the flowers float away.


Allura slowly stirred awake nestled snugly in the arms of her captain, a content smile growing across her face. Her hand absently began to wander along his chest still not quite able to admit that they were now so close and afraid to move too much and break the spell.

"Your thinking." His voice was soft, deep and very contented.

Allura smiled. "Perhaps... " She blushed. "I thought you were still asleep?"

He moved his hands to her sides and pulled her to lay fully atop him. "Well I'm still dreaming." his eyes danced over her face.

She smiled down her hand moving to stroke his face. "Mmmmmm, lets not wake up, okay?"

He answered her by reaching to the back of her head and pulling her lips to his, he was lost to her and no longer cared to deny it.

Allura's body molded into his as if they had always been this close letting herself be taken away to a new world of sensations.

Keith felt his body awaking as it had done may times before with his thoughts of Allura but now he no longer hid it instead his hands traveled along her back to her hips, sprawling his fingers wide and into her flesh he pulled her firmly to him and let out a gasp at the glorious sensation of their body's pressing together. "I love you my Princess." he breathed. "love..." she cut him off with her lips.


Queen Orla returned from her walk to visit her sister and hearing they were both awake and well she wanted to check in on them. She made her way to the medical ward, walked down the quite hall to their half open door and looked into their room to see them both lost in one another, oblivious to the world around them. Blushing for them with a glorious smile she silently gave a bow of respect and slowly turned to leave the room. Grinning and shaking her head she did not see the doctor heading her way and they almost collided into one another.

The doctor seeing the flush on her cheeks and noticing what room she must have come out of turned pale. "Queen Orla? I... I didn't know you were here I… Ummm, You didn't…Are they?"

"They're fine doctor" She smirked. "They just have a lifetime of catching up to do."

Doctor Gorma smiled back. "Is that what you call it?" He laughed.

Orla grinned the grin that only a knowing mature woman could give. "Indeed I do." She winked at him. "Merry Christmas Doctor, and thank you for everything." She took his healing hands in hers and gave him a slight bow then took her leave.

The doctor bowed back and watched her go, then trying to get the smirk off his own face he poked his head into the room seeing Allura laying atop Keith both obliviously lost in one another. He shook his head and with a smile looked away clearing his throat.

Keith sat up pulling Allura up as well and she slid off partially to his side. They both kept their eyes down as the doctor walked up and checked some readings on the computer readout by Keith's bed . "Hmmmmmm," The doctor studied the screen. Allura turned to watch the readout with concern as the Doctor keyed through several readings. "Well since it is Christmas... and you two seem fit enough for…well…" He grinned knowingly at the two and they both blushed feverishly, Allura turning and burrowing into Keith hair. "Well I couldn't possibly keep you locked in here all day. Now if you promise to take it easy you can go join the celebrations. Remember to call me if you have any problems." He popped off both of their med bracelets, and took his leave. Pausing at the door he turned to their stunned faces. "Merry Christmas." He smiled with a wink and then disappeared out the door.

"The party..." Allura breathed. "The Children, oh the Children!" Allura gasped remembering Keith's feelings, she turned to him trying and read any expression from him. "Keith, I... understand now why you don't want to go. Would you rather we just stay away?" She dropped her eyes.

Keith looked distant and then after a long silence spoke. "Allura… Could I go with you?" He asked, slowly looking up.

She started to grin. "You…really want to? It might be hard for you to…"

He touched her cheek. "I'd like to try. If you would help me."

"Really? She smiled into his fingers, kissing them.

He smiled back and nodded and she threw her arms around him giggling and he couldn't help but to laugh too.

"Are you sure?"

He nodded sheepishly looking again exactly like the little boy she met in her dreams.

She took his hands which suddenly seemed so small and kissed his forehead. She slid off the bed pulling him to the edge. "Well, first thing we need to do is change."

"What you don't like this?" He grabbed at his hospital gown with a grin.

She laughed shaking her head at him. She picked out a hospital robe from a drawer draping it around his shoulders and then pulled one on herself. She then helped him to his feet, steadying him till he found his balance. "Can you walk?"

He tests his legs shifting his weight a bit and nodded at her.

"Are you sure I can get you a chai…"

He held a hand up to her and shot her a dejected look with a smirk.

She giggled at him. "Alright Mr. tough guy, well come on, let's find you something suitable."

He laughed "Yes Nanny." as she came to his side pulling his arm over her shoulder to support him as he found his legs and they headed down the halls.


The party was in full swing, kids running around everywhere and playing many varied games. Everyone was dressed in either their PJ's or loungewear as was royal tradition on Christmas day. 'No pomp at Christmas' it was long ago decreed. Allura's mother set the trend of the super casual Christmas in the castle and the children absolutely loved it, actually getting to run around in their comfy clothes and not the stuffy ones, and the adults truly enjoyed it too.

In the weeks before Christmas the castle had been transformed into a Christmas wonderland. Christmas on Arus was for the Christians living on Arus a true religious time, but for those of other faiths it had become a celebration of giving and that spirit of giving was what tied all of Arus' faiths together at this time, and the decorations truly reflect that diversity of belief. Many of the earth holiday standards were present, Christmas trees, boughs of greens, and to a certain Red Lion pilot's glee even mistletoe, of which he amusingly always seemed to end up under with someone.

A smaller dining hall and its adjoining lounge were where the main festivities were to be held, Allura preferring the coziness of the smaller room to the lager expansive grand halls of the castle. 'Were having a family party not a grand ball!' She would always say every time someone suggested moving it to a larger location. And that was where the team was, along with the families of the castle staff who did not take a leave or had no other family.

There was a very large tree standing in the room's center, beneath its branches had been piles of presents since distributed to all the family in the castle, now all that remained were piles of rumpled paper and ribbons. Several large overstuffed sofas and chairs were brought in from throughout the castle creating cozy sitting groups that surrounded the tree. Along the outer walls were tables overfilled with all sorts of holiday confections. The stage had been set and all that was missing from the beautiful picture was Allura.

All around were groups, laughing and smiling, they had all heard the news that both Allura and the Captain were going to be fine and the joy of that news was palpable on the air, but it did not make up for the obvious absence of their hostess. With a commanding view of the tree waited the large oversized sofa on which Allura would have been perched, and in front of it sat a table laden with gifts for her highness. Allura had always asked for no presents but the people would not accept that wish and made gifts for her anyway, It was well known, like her mother, the gifts she loved the most were the handmade ornaments made by the loving hands of her people, and therefor that was what most of the packages contained. Around the table were also two more sofas and two large chairs reserved for Allura's closest… Coran, Romelle and Sven were sitting there now. The force's seats were also there but for now those spaces were vacant as each member of the Voltron team was busily going around the room and visiting with all guests, especially the children.

Coran not being as sturdy on his legs did not do the rounds but instead sat in one of the chairs. He was clad in royal blue silk pajamas, brown slippers and a lusciously thick red robe that Allura herself had given him for Christmas years ago. Atop his head sat perched an askew Santa hat, which a toddler had placed there. He just laughed and let it stay there. On the sofa to his side perched Romelle and sitting on the floor in front of her was Sven. Romelle was in a simple long cotton lounging gown of blue, a white shawl wrapped around her shoulders, her feet in socks tucked beneath her. Sven was in all black, black sweatpants and a black long-sleeved tee shirt. All were focused in on the game of Snakes and Ladders being played out between Sven and four children on the table, all laughing riotously when Sven rolled a four and had to take the long ride to the beginning of the board.

Lance, Hunk and Pidge were all in different areas of the room talking to the families and playing with the children. Lance in his outrageous red flannel PJs his hair flowing free inviting many of an admirer's fingerers to run through it, if and when Lance caught them under the mistletoe. Pidge was in the same only green his head caped with a red and green striped elf cap. Lastly was Hunk who somehow managed to get a full set of yellow feetsee pajamas in his size and was strutting around in them with pride with the crowning touch of a light up reindeer antler hat on his head.

The only one that should have been there but wasn't was Nanny, but in the bustle and excitement, everyone had just assumed she was busily working behind the scenes making sure everything was just so as she normally would.


It had been a frenzy in the entry hall when Keith was brought in by Lance and Sven in the middle of the night, The whole team was there with Romelle, Coran, and many of the castle staff even the mice. The Doctor's triage team was immediately on the scene wanting to assess his condition as soon as possible and not wait for him to be taken to the medical wing.

As Keith's vitals were being taken, IVs were being inserted and heating blankets were being tucked around him Nanny had stood on the periphery of it all praying the boy was going to be okay. She had a hanky held to her nose as the pangs of guilt over what she had done to him were washing through her like waves. That was when the delirious boy's eyes locked onto hers and he stared at her for the longest time ... Then, in the briefest moments of lucidity with words just barely more than a whisper he spoke, "Merry Christmas, Nanny."

And with those three words, words of love, words of forgiveness, she melted. After all she had done, he forgave her. How she had misread him all these years. Those words were the most noble thing she had ever heard.

He soon slipped back into unconsciousness and Keith's body was lifted onto a gurney and was wheeled away to the care of Doctor Gorma.

Now on the table in her workroom rested Nanny's old carpet bag, her personal effects laid out aside it as she went about removing them from the room. A picture of infant Allura in the arms of her father, a scrap of fabric from Allura's first formal gown. a book of hand scrawled recipes, a box filled with snaps...

She spied in the box a favorite snap from last year's Christmas party and lifted it out. Everyone in it was all huddled tightly together in their causal clothes, all hamming it up for the camera. Allura was in the middle of them with two of the castle children sitting on her lap joyously laughing. But now to her eyes one of the castle's family was glaringly absent from the photograph. Her breath caught and she found a seat. Sitting down she studied the photograph, fingering the place in the picture where he belonged, where he always was, by Allura's side, always watchful, always protective, always willing to lay his life down to save her. Nanny closed her eyes holding the picture to her breast and wept. How wrong she had been.


Keith waited sitting on the sofa in his room, legs a bit more tired from the walk that he'd ever admit, and watched while Allura looked for something 'suitable' for him to wear. He let out a sigh. "What do you mean I can't wear my normal clothes?" He watched her intently as the snow white cotton sleeping gown she changed into when they stopped at her quarters caressed her every curve as she moved.

She continued to go through his closet. "We don't dress up for Christmas. It's a family tradition." She pulled out a red jumpsuit. "Is this it?" She pulled out another. "Is this all you have in here?"

"Well is saves time in the morning." He shrugged his shoulders with a chuckle. "Anyway, I'd hardly call that dressing up."

She shook her head laughing at him. "Nothing else? Nothing… casual?"

"Well in the drawer I have my workout clothes but they…"

She tossed the jumpsuits aside diving into the drawer. "This is perfect!"

"Oh no! There is no way…"

She pulled out an old worn pair of gray sweatpants. "What do you wear these for?"

"Those! Ally, I just sleep or read in these, never go out."

"Perfect!"

"Perfect? I can't…"

"Oh yes you can. And with this shirt. Come on off with the robe." Allura moved up to help him out of the robe letting it fall behind him then holding up the white long sleeved tee shirt she had found in front of him.

"Allura I don't know I…" Their proximity allowed her thigh to inadvertently rub against his, making him bashfully drop his eyes from hers, they instead landed on her chest which was now at his eye level just inches before him. Catching himself in a less than gentlemanly gasp he panicked, turning his head and pulled away.

Allura looked down at him reaching out a hand to comfort him. She placed it on his shoulder. "Keith? Are you alright? What's wrong? Do you not want to do this?"

"No I…" He stammered blushing slightly, slowly looking up. "it's just you…"

"Are you afraid… of me?"

"Not of you… of me."

"Keith?"

"Allura…" He slowly looked up to her face. "You've been my Apple." He tentatively reached up a finger to touch her lips. "Forbidden to eat… yet so tempting. So tempting."

She gasped and her lips parted and she whispered. "Forbidden? Forbidden by who?" She reached out to touch his cheek. "Keith, can you let yourself be loved?" Her finger ran along his lips. "Can you let me love you?" Her hand then fully caressed his face. "Can you let go of some of your guilt and let love in?" Her hands then both moved into his scalp and she could feel him move into her touch. "Keith, I love you."

"Allura I…" He leaned forward and burrowed into her. "hmmm…I….I love you too…I…" They slowly pulled back and locked eyes, their eyes soon dancing between eyes and lips, breath labored. Seconds ticked then they exploded into one another into a frenzied and fevered kiss, both grabbing at each other in desperation to continue the kiss. Keith fell back leaning on the back of the sofa, Allura falling atop him, instinctively straddling him, lips and tongues continuing their dance.

Allura finally managed to break free, with great effort on her part, she made herself pull back off of him a bit, eyes locked in his deep dilated ones. It took everything she had to not drown in them. She slowly sat up still perched atop him, his chest heaving with every labored breath.

She watched him as he watched her with all the wonder in his eyes of that child she met in his dreams his hands dropping to her knees. She then became very aware of his body beneath hers. How warm he was, how strong he was. How much she wanted to truly know him. How if she just moved forward a little further their most intimate secrets could be shared. She reached out a hand to his chest brushing her fingers lightly along the thin fabric of his hospital gown and his whole body shuddered beneath her at the touch. "Keith?" She whispered as her hand traveled over his chest. "Will you let me love you?" . In silent response he dropped his head back opening himself to her. He closed his eyes, his chest heaving as much as her own.

She could still feel so much tension in every muscle of him. She slowly leaned forward to him now hovering over him as she lowered her lips to his ear where she whispered. "Relax my love." Her lips dropping to skim along his neck earned her a shuddering breath from him as he firmly gripped onto her thighs on either side of him. He then let out an epic breath, relaxing into the sofa below.

His hands slowly begin to travel up her legs pushing her white sleeping gown up with them eventually reaching her hips, pausing there to move beneath the light fabric he then let his hands explore the soft yet firmness of her skin which soon flushed with goosebumps at his touch. Her mouth moved to his nape as her hands reached around to loosen the fastener holding his hospital gown at his neck. Sitting perched on his upper thighs she slowly pulled his gown up away from him. She held it to her breast as she let her eyes take him in.

He watched her intently, eyes watching hers as they scanned every inch of his skin.

She reached out one hand to touch what she saw, tracing the line of his pecks and his nipples which stiffened at the attention. She then moved a finger along his abs tracing each ridge of his defined muscles which all fluttered at her touch. Her fingers then found his bellybutton which was softly surrounded by dark hair which she let her fingers run through, swirling them around his belly button enjoying the guttural sounds she was getting from him and the writhing of his body beneath her touch. Her hand then brushed up against the firmness of him beneath the soft fabric of his briefs, causing them both to catch their breath.

She swallowed hard then dared to let her eyes look upon him. He bit his lip as he watched her, afraid to move he dropped his hands away. But his body did move as he involuntary pulsed to meet her hand. Her eyes were full of wonder as she let her hand move down to meet him, lightly brushing against him again. She was amazed at how he reacted to her every touch.

She eventually looked up to his face, surprised to see his head tossed back, eyes clamped shut, and his hands digging deeply into the sofa. She smiled at him reaching up to his cheek she brushed her hand along it bringing his eyes to meet hers. She moistened her lips still in an eye lock with him then reached down slowly grabbing hold of her gown and pulled it up and over her head.

He let his own eyes roam over the expanse of flesh now before him. His eyes landing on her swollen breasts, full with desire and his lips soon followed, tasting every inch of her, all she could do was writhe and moan under the onslaught of his kisses. After giving every inch of her flesh its due, he grabbed the back of her head and buried himself in her lips, her arms falling over his head and grabbing onto his hair. He let his hands travel down to the small of her back and lower to cup her bottom, poised to pull her to fully meet him. Then, in one swift move he did just that, pulling her up to rest upon him, suddenly fully feeling each other's beckoning warmth.

Her eyes snapped open to meet his liquid depths. She reached up placing a hand on either side of his jaw. "Will you let me love you?"

His eye shimmered looking back to hers as he reached to caress her face. "Forever…"

Tears started to flow down her cheeks. "What is forever?"

He moved his finger to catch a tear, his own eyes liquid. "As long as we have, my love. As long as we have."

She pulled back a bit to fully look at him. "Will you let me love you...Forever?"

He regarded her letting his own tears fall. "Yes." They looked at one another for the longest time then again dissolved into a kiss. Their body's began moving against one another, seeking out the connection their souls most desperately sought. They soon were spun around, bodies instinctively finding what they needed, completely loosing themselves in one another and discovering all new places and pleasures that only together they could find.


Dreamily Keith laid with his Allura draped over him, deciding that from now on this was always how he wanted to wake up. He smiled and stroked her hair.

"mmmm" she purred at him.

He chuckled. "So, did you still want to go to the party?"

Allura nuzzled in. "mmmmmmmmmmmm"

Keith laughed wrapping his arms around her possessively. "Whatever your wish, my Princess."

Allura inhaled to speak when a loud clatter made them both jump. Allura squealed as an access panel on Keith's ceiling came crashing down to the floor. Allura's eyes boggled when just as quickly Keith's good arm was outstretched, a blaster from who knows where now in hand, pointed squarely at the opening. His other arm wrapped firmly around her puling her off him and behind him on the sofa as he sat up cat like ready to defend.

Three familiar small faces peered into the room from the opening and both Keith and Allura let out epic breaths, Keith lowering his gun. All three were frozen at the sight they saw and Cheddar was so transfixed he started to sway. The mouse soon lost his balance, the other two scrambling to grab him but it was too late and he fell. Keith sprang out to catch the mouse, landing with a thud against a chair across the way. He set the mouse down and then reached around to rub his now stinging bare rump from the impact with the hard floor.

Cheddar looked to Keith then Allura, to Keith, to Allura, to Keith, to Allura and then got the biggest cheese thieving grin and started to laugh. The other two made their way down joining Cheddar all three happily squeaking amongst themselves.

Keith sat up arms crossing over his bare chest. "You three mind telling me what was so impotent for breaking and entering?"

All three stopped and turn to Allura and raced for her, leaping into her outstretched hands they begin anxiously squeaking.

"Oh no!" Allura breathed. Looking pale as a ghost she looked up to Keith. "It's Nanny, they said that she's leaving!"

"What? Why?"

The mice animatedly squeaked acting out what Nanny had done to Keith but both Keith and Allura failed to understand. Allura listened again. "They said Nanny hurt you? And that she thinks I'm better off with you than her, What?... No Squeak...Nanny would never..."

Keith lifted up his restrained wrist and it all started coming back to him, Nanny unleashing her rage at him. "Ally?" he looked at his arm. "I think Nanny did this to... no no... no that doesn't make sense..." He grabbed at his now throbbing head, not knowing what was real and what was the other reality.

The mice started jumping up squeaking, pointing and nodding their heads. 'Allura's jaw dropped. "N...Nanny broke you arm? NANNY BROKE YOUR ARM!" Allura stood to her feet grabbing her clothes and started pulling them on. "Oh no she Didn't!" She muttered as she angrily dressed growing redder than she's ever been and stormed out the door.

Keith finally looked up to see her just leave the room. "ALLY! WAIT! ALLY!" Keith scrambled to his feet almost to the door when he realized he was buck naked. He quickly doubled back to the clothes Allura had pulled out for him yanking on his drawers and the sweats then just grabbing the tee and socks in hand. "Well what are you waiting for?" He barked at the mice. "Go after her!"

If anyone had been in the halls it would have been a sight to see, the cool Voltron commander chasing three mice down the halls looking completely disheveled only clad in a pair of faded gray sweats.

He heard the exchange well before he saw anyone as Allura's voice echoed down the halls. "YOU HAVE NO RIGHT! How could you! After all he has done for us! YOU YOU YOU!"

Keith overshot the last turn scrambling back and then down the last hall. "Ally!..." He bent over bodily gasping, the tee and socks dropping to the floor. "Ally stop." He looked up from his bent over position, half squatting to rest his arms on his legs. His vision blurred unable to focus. He could barely make out Allura's back as she boldly stood in front of Nanny blocking her path. Nanny looked exactly as she did the first time he saw her, dressed in her traveling clothes, bag in hand.

"You will not stop me, I can come and go as I please." Nanny huffed and tried to push Allura aside.

"Oh I'm not going to stop you I just want answers!" Allura yelled "How could you!"

Nanny looked away unable to meet Allura's eyes.

"Nanny!" Allura grabbed the elders shoulders giving her a shake. "Look at me!" Allura shifted trying to catch Nanny's gaze but the woman evaded. "How could you do that to him? Him! Keith!"

"Well you won't have to worry about that anymore because I have submitted my resignation." Nanny pulled away pushing off Allura's hands.

"Stop!" Keith's firm word froze them both cold. He staggered a bit as he found his feet and then approached the two women even in his state of undress looking every bit ten feet tall.

"You." He moved to Allura pulling her to him. "You love this woman as your own family. Can you look me in the eyes and tell me you really want her to go? Yes she is annoying, and controlling, and an utter pain in the ass..." He smirked "but is spite of all that, you love her. Tell me now if you really want her to go."

Allura sniffed, gradually looking up into his eyes and slowly shook her head, eyes wet.

He smiled at her "Now for you" he slowly turned to fix his gaze onto Nanny. "You have absolutely no authority over me or Allura and the sooner that is understood the better." His jaw twitched. "I understand fully why you did what you did to me but that does not excuse it." He stepped away from Allura and strode toward Nanny to loom over her shorter form. "This power struggle ends here and ends now." His voice was firm and forceful. "You will know your place. You will honor Allura in all of her choices…" He glanced back to Allura, his voice softer… "No matter what path she chooses."

Allura's eyes shimmered and she looked on him with so much love he couldn't help to flush from it and turn his head away, an exchange so palpable and heated it was not missed on Nanny whose lips parted at the sight.

He then turned back to Nanny, the flush of being loved still gleaming from his skin. He slowly closed his eyes reopening them, his jaw again set firm. "You will treat every member of my team with the respect they have long since earned. And if the unimaginable happens..." Keith swallowed again... "If one of us... " His face and voice softened and he glanced back to Allura again... silent for the longest time... "then you will not blame... but grieve with us... as one of us..." he slowly turned back to Nanny... "because you are family."

Nanny looked at him utterly dumbfounded.

"Now..." he grabbed Nanny's bag from her in his good hand. "You are not leaving this castle, you are going back to your room to change, and you are accompanying Allura and I to the party. Understood?" He looked at her unwavering, one brow raised.

Nanny stood still dumfounded, eye shimmering and her mouth twitching as if it was trying to remember how to make words.

"UNDERSTOOD?"

Nanny blinked a few times then straightened herself formally. "Yes Captain." She looked him over a few times as if seeing him for the first time, her line of a mouth slightly tugging up into a smile.

"Good." Keith smiled back at her. Keith then turned and with a sweep of his arm gestured down the hall to Nanny's quarters. "After you."

Nanny bowed respectfully, lifted her skirts and headed to her room.

Keith then bowed to Allura. "My Lady?"

Allura positively beamed at him, curtsied and then sprinted up to Nanny's side taking her arm and snuggling into her side. "Come on Nanny," Allura looked Nanny up and down. "You are way overdressed for today, you know the rules. Let's find you something more, suitable."

Keith almost choked then coughed through his laughter, shaking his head at Allura as she turned back to meet his bemused eyes for a brief loving exchange. The two women then spirited down the hall, the mice following behind.

Keith paused to watch them a moment and had a chuckle at the picture they made. He then bent over and set down Nanny's bag to pick up and pull on his wadded up tee. He then grabbed up his socks and Nanny's bag and headed down the hallway after them.


Keith waited in Nanny's main room while the two were in the bedroom area finding Nanny something to wear, finding it impossible not to continually smile at that. As he was pulling on his socks He couldn't help let his eyes wander to the now open bag on Nanny's worktable. Upon returning to the room Nanny had to rummage around in it to find some things, leaving much of its contents scattered about on the table.

As his eyes traveled over Nanny's most treasured positions he took in the one unifying theme, they all were ties to Allura. Keith bit his lip as he stood up to pick up a swatch of silk and let his fingers caress it. With his eyes closed he could have identified it, it was the pink silk of Allura's gown. He let his eyes drift closed and moved the fabric to his lips to let the sent and feel of it wash over him. He then thought of his ties to Allura and the Black and how he would feel if some upstart was to come along and take from him the things that defined his purpose of existence.

Allura's faint cough snapped his eyes open to find the two women standing in the doorway looking at him, Nanny clad in her dressing gown, floor length robe and bedroom slippers. He flushed a bit and tried to hide it with a gentlemanly bow. He then approached them, silk still in his hand handing it back to Nanny. "It must be hard to give up something so precious. I do not think I would react so well if something that precious was to be taken from me." He dropped his head. "I know I wouldn't."

Instead of waiting for an answer he wrapped his arms around the elder woman pulling her into a caring hug, he dropped his head to whisper to her. "Thank you for loving her."

Nanny trembled in his arms the floodgates opening she let go of her hold on her emotions and wept, hugging him back as Allura moved over to wrap herself around the two. Nanny finally straightened up wiping her tears. "Ohh look at this mess." She set about adjusting Keith's t-shirt as if it were a dress uniform, bringing a giggle from Allura.

Keith had a chuckle and then bowed most regally to the women. "May I have the pleasure of escorting you two ladies to the Christmas party?"

Allura's pride swelled and with a gasp lost her voice and had to look away.

Nanny looked on, her face lighting up as if just then putting the pieces together that Keith himself after many years was for the first time going to be making an appearance at one of Allura's most beloved annual events. Nanny smiled at him taking Allura's hand in hers and lifting it out to him. "We would be delighted." Keith extended an elbow to each woman Nanny crossing sides with Allura to gently take his bandaged side.

The three walked down the halls to the party, Keith in the center with a lady on each arm, Allura on his left arm was leaning against him as they walked to help support him, Nanny on his right arm motheringly stroking his bandaged wrist.


They soon arrived at the doors to the dining hall where the party had been in full swing for several hours. Keith paused there, both women looking to him, watching the play of emotions drift over his face. They each gave him a reassuring squeeze. He swallowed and took that last step forward that activated the motion sensor sending the doors swooshing open.

The sound of holiday music, children's laughter and happy conversation poured from the room in waves that Keith could actually feel. He closed his eyes and let the waves of sound wash over him.

"Are you okay?" Allura whispered softly, her hands enveloping his.

He nodded and slowly opened his eyes hoping to slowly take it in only to be met with the sound of 'Keith! Keith! Keith!' From a dozen children who raced out of the room to hug him. All the eyes in the room shifted to the three figures arm and arm at the door.

A bit woozy and with so many little voices and bodies on him at once Keith wobbled under the onslaught, the ladies on his arms now his main means of support helped him stay upright as he lowered himself to his knees. Once there he smiled and gave each child their hug, several of them talking at once telling him all about what they got for Christmas. He looked up through the throng seeing the smiling faces of his team each also dressed in causal comfort then standing in front of him.

Lance, in his bright red flannels let loose a chuckle to match his grin, "Well he ain't much for walking but he still managed to get two dates! Whoa Keith, so are two women to much for you? He waggled his eyebrows at Allura, "I could take one off of your hands."

Nanny shot Lance one of those famous Nanny looks as she and Allura helped Keith back up to his feet. "Such impertinence! Speaking to your superior in that way!" She then turned to fuss over Keith making sure he was okay.

Keith smiled to Nanny then turned to Lance. "I don't know Lance, Princess Allura? Nanny? Would either of you rather spend the rest of the afternoon with Sr Lancelot?"

The two ladies both comically gave Lance the brush off, flinging their noses into the air and escorted Keith into the room. Keith let out a chuckle at Lance's fake dejected pout.

They made their way to the heart of the room where a giant fir stood. Allura held back a bit, not wanting to push him, but Keith pressed on, soon standing in front of the grand tree.

Nanny took note of the concern on Allura's face and excused herself to make a round of the room to see that all was in proper order. The rest of the team knowing of Keith's discomfort ran interface engaging in conversation with or redirecting anyone who was heading Keith's way. But curiosity made them all keep one eye on the Captain as he looked at the tree.

Keith softly smiled as Allura gave his hand a squeeze as his eyes dared to look over the tree. As his eyes wandered over it for the first time he actually allowed himself to really look at it. He was surprised to find the ornaments instead of reflecting the common things found on earth were more reflective of Arus. Even the Lion ships were represented there, the royal seal was also an ever recurring theme on the tree. "Where's the Black?" He asked her.

Allura grinned and pointed up higher on the branches, "There's one." His eyes followed her hand. "and there's one" she pointed off to the left. "oh and down there are two…and there's a glass one…" She glanced back to him. "It's good luck to have a Black Lion on your tree." She winked at him.

He smiled and then did the one thing he thought he could never do. He let out a breath and then closing his eyes he inhaled deeply letting the smell of the pine penetrate him.

"New memories." She whispered. "We'll make new memories, my love."

A flush crept up his face at her words and his lips parted but he didn't dare to look at her.

She watched him with bemused adoration and then stretched up to her tip toes to purr into his ear bringing a flush of bright crimson and his jaw to snap shut. "New memories."

The rest of the team couldn't hold back the tide of partygoers for long soon their line of defense was broken and Keith an Allura were surrounded with both children and adults and were soon spirited away into the children's games, Allura always making sure to stay close so Keith could see her and know that she was there watching him if he needed a rescue.

Keith found a comfortable place on the floor to play with the children, whenever he felt the urge to bolt coming on he would just look up and she was near him, watching over him, and somehow that was reassuring enough for him to stay composed.


Queen Orla, having gone to her quarters to rest then freshen up and change after her outing, picked up her basket full of gifts she had for the others and continued on her with another of her Christmas rituals, one more visit before she would join the others.

Orla made her way to the deepest places of the castle, to the door of King Alfor's Tomb. She slowly opened the cool door causing a beam of light to shine into the dark space. Setting her basket down she lifted out a small bouquet of Christmas greens. She walked up the stairs to his resting place to leave the bouquet but stopped upon reaching it finding an exquisitely wrapped present sitting there. She studied it a moment, rich green paper wrapped in a red silk ribbon. She reached out to read the tag attached to it, 'To Keith and Allura, with all our love.' She lifted her hand to cover her mouth as tears came to her face. "It's beautiful."

She set the bouquet down upon the King's sarcophagus as his deep voice floated along the air. "Please take it to her with our blessings." A breeze picked up from nowhere. "Arus is born anew on this day. These are happy times!" The crypt then filled with something it never had before, the late King's joyous laughter.

Orla moved to take the gift, tears pouring down her face, but paused closing her eyes a moment to soak up the radiating energy of the crypt. She found that in between place and settled there. When she opened her eyes she was no longer standing in the crypt but on a lush green grassy field, and running up to her was her sister, "SISTER!" Orla called, and their spirits collided into a spinning hug. They stopped to look at one another. Orla looked up to see the King approaching and she smiled at him but then behind him two more figures appeared, a man and a woman materialized, walking side by side towards her. The woman was cradling the green box in her arms, the man's focus was totally on the woman at his side, his arm tightly wrapped around her, both were in tears.

Orla took a step from her sister as they reached her. They were so imposing even while shedding tears Orla felt the need to bow deeply before them. Upon arising she took their images in, both were strong of sprit, the woman breathtakingly beautiful, her dark raven locks flowing softly around her face setting off the deepest emerald green eyes Orla had ever seen.

The woman's shaky hands reached out the gift to Orla. "My Angel..." The woman's words were more felt that heard. "My sweet sweet Angel."

Orla took the gift from her and the woman turned into the man at her side, his arms wrapping protectively around her. He then looked up and met Orla's eyes in an imposing protective stare, not one to be feared, but one of strength, of heart, and of sprit. And in seeing those eyes Orla knew who exactly this man was, because she had seen those very eyes and that very look in them so many times before. She widened her focus from his eyes to take in his face, his hair, his stature... all exactly the same. She was moved to bow again, Keith's father having all the power and bearing of a King. Eyes to the ground Orla finally found the air to speak. "I would be honored to deliver this for you."

When she arose from her bow she was back in Alfor's crypt, all was still, the gift in her hands, and no trace of the small bouquet she had left on the sarcophagus.


As the afternoon went on the castle's party soon settled down as most of the families left, the team had decided it was time to retire to the rec room for their own private gathering for the evening. Keith and Allura had gone on ahead while the others went about saying the last good nights to the remaining castle staff and their families.

Stealing looks from one another Keith and Allura laughingly made their way to the rec room, Keith was feeling much stronger having been out of his hospital bed for most of the afternoon. Allura was pleasingly enjoying this new view of the Captain clad in just a white long sleeved t-shirt, worn in grey sweats and white socks. He felt silly at first but soon grew more comfortable in this relaxed skin, even to the point of taking the opportunity to let his inner 5 year old slide on the slickly waxed floors whenever the opportunity presented itself bringing the musical sound of Allura's laughter to ring out in the halls.

He made one final long slide down the hall coming to a smooth halt in front of the Rec room's door. "My lady." And took a mocking bow. She just had to laugh at him, loving to see that little boy she had become so smitten with in her dreams standing right before her. She grinned and ruffed his hair.

The rec room door swooshed open and he slowly leaned forward to see inside, a room he had completely avoided since thanksgiving.

He cautiously took a step into the empty rec room slowly looking around taking it all in, he had been intentionally avoiding it since the decorations went up, so this was the first time he had actually given it more than a passing glance. The rec room too was decorated to the hilt for Christmas, but Keith could tell that this tree was different. It seemed every ornament on it was hung with extreme care, and the ornaments themselves were much more exquisite then the rest. "Allura?" He stood before the tree. "This tree, its different, special, isn't it?"

Allura walked up to his side and leaned against him. "This is my mother's tree, I decorate it every year for her, in her memory." She reached out and touched a delicately carved heart. "These were her favorite ornaments."

Keith swallowed, for he personally had destroyed his own mother's Christmas memories and seeing this tree brought forth a deep regret for that loss.

"Are you okay?" Allura turned to look up at him sensing his shift in mood. "Keith?" Her hand went to his hand, then seeing the look in his pained eyes she took him into her arms.

He let himself lean into her, just able to hold back the waves of emotion. "I miss her, Ally" He then reached out to touch a carved wooden apple shaped bobble with a fingertip. "And I miss her Christmas. All those silly little things she'd do, all the decorations each with its own story, I miss that."

Allura smiled, leaning her head against him. "Well that one there was made in Funan by a farmer. My father used to take me to the farm to pick fruit in the fall. One year the tree that grew the apples father swore were the best in all the land was hit in a lightning storm. My father was so sad, but then later that year at Christmas the farmer presented my father with this ornament, carved from the very wood of that tree. So when I see this one, I remember being a little girl, picking apples with my father." She smiled at him.

Keith gasped, it was like being sent back in time, listening to his mother's stories of all the ornaments. "They all have stories don't they?"

"mmmhmmmmm"

"Will you tell me them, I want to hear them all."

She reached up to brush his cheek. "I would love too."

He then dropped his eyes to the floor. "I didn't get you anything for Christmas."

"Yes you did." Allura cupped his cheek. "You gave me you. And that is something I will cherish, forever."

He leaned into her, lips drawing towards hers, "Forev…" The sound of the doors swishing open pulled him back.

"Hey Hey Hey!" Pidge entered the room, still in his flannel PJ's in the color of his lion, followed by Hunk each carrying a large sack.

"That's HO HO HO you squirt!" Hunk laughed.

"Hey Hey HO HO what's the difference, and for your information, I'm not a squirt!" Pidge laughed as he upended his bag under the tree.

"I think the big red guy will disagree with you there!" Hunk retorted as he upended his bag.

The doors swished open again and Coran stepped in, he too with a sack over one shoulder and on his face the most surprising thing of all, a beaming smile. Merry Christmas everyone!" He greeted them all as he passed his bag to Hunk to empty.

Lance then skipped in arm and arm with Romelle, he carrying both their sacks and Lance grinning ear to ear. "I found my date! Sven got abducted!"

Romelle laughed and rolled her eyes at him.

Pidge piped in, "Ya better not let Sven hear that or you'll end up wrapped up like a present with a bow in your mouth AGAIN this year!"

The whole room sans Keith who didn't know the story erupted in riotous laughter, Lance, looking quite dejected, put on a pout, "HA… HA… HA"

Pidge grinned. "No, it's HO HO HO."

Nanny with Sven in tow appeared in the doorway, he caring the largest sack of all, the presents for Allura that she missed unwrapping earlier, they arrived in the heat of the laughter. Upon Sven's entrance Lance cringed and the room exploded into laughter again, fingers pointing at Lance who was standing in the middle of the room.

Hulk walks up to Lance and slapped a bow on his head. "Strike one!"

The wickedest grin spread across Sven's face "Already up for another round are we, Lance?" Sven cracked his knuckles.

Keith was watching the exchange with a lost detachment, having avoided every Christmas he now felt the part of the interloper. Allura noticed the change in his stance and put a reassuring hand on his arm. "Alley, I've missed so much." He whispered to her, "I don't know if I belong…"

"Shhhh" She silenced him with a wave of her hand. "Just because you weren't here with us doesn't mean we didn't all know you were watching over us, protecting us. You are loved here, and don't you EVER forget that."

He gave her a weak smile. She smiled back and shook her head at him grabbing him by his good wrist and led him over to the sofa and steered him to sit down. She leaned over and whispered to him. "If it gets too much you can always leave. But know this, we all love you, and we all want you with us." She then sat down beside him covering his hand with hers his fingers spreading beneath hers so she could lace her fingers with his, which she did and gave him a reassuring squeeze. He closed his fingers under hers, trapping her digits.

Soon the group settled in, most choosing the plush carpet of the floor in front of the sofa over the furniture, Coran and Nanny were in the large chairs across the table from them.

Coran cleared his throat calling for all their attention. "I wish to take this time to thank each and every one of you for the personal sacrifices you have made and continue to make for one another and for this planet. It is an honor to have you here and on this day you are all, children of Arus. Thank you, and Merry Christmas." He then closed his eyes and pointed his finger randomly at the group sitting across from him. "You!" He opened his eyes to see he has pointed at the big man of the team, Hunk.

"Hunk is Santa!" Everyone yelled and cheered. Hunk then went about his duty of passing out the gifts and chaos soon erupted.

Keith eventually had to reluctantly let go of Allura's hand as the presents began to pile up around her threatening to bury her completely, he even had to catch a few before they toppled to the floor. With no gifts for himself or none to give he happily played the spectator, watching them all as the paper and bows flew across the room and ohhs and ahhs rang out for every one.

Among the many gifts, Nanny got a new Apron from Hunk. Coran got a vintage magnify glass from Romelle and Sven. Hunk got a new rod and reel from Allura. Lance got some magazines of questionable taste in a care package from the Explorer. Pidge, blushing profusely, got the magazines Lance got last year from the Explorer. Romelle and Sven received matching hand knitted scarves from Nanny.

As for Allura, The gifts just kept on coming, Keith had never seen such a thing before. But each one was the same thing, a new bobble or decoration, celebrating the Christmas spirit Arus style. And each one has some meaningful card explaining it's origin. Allura was in tears more than she was not. Nanny being prepared for this had several royal hankies at the ready, passing them across to Keith to pass too Allura as needed and to his surprise he truly enjoyed being the royal handkerchief boy, smiling with her at every gift as she read the cards aloud. Ornaments, figurines, wall hangings and every other knick knack imaginable was represented. Soon the low table in the room in front of the team was covered in them.


Eventually the last gift was opened, it was Lance's of course, he ALWAYS hid one so that he would be the last to open a gift, and made a huge show about dragging it out. Unfortunately this time he forgot to completely read the card, he had read the 'to Lance' part, but skimmed over the rest. By Nanny's chuckling Keith knew who this one must be from. Lance finally peeled off the last piece of tape to the exasperated gasp of the rest. And then slowly went about unwrapping the paper going in the exact reverse order as it was wrapped. When the gift was finally revealed at last he grinned "It's a Book!" and then he read the title. Lance blanched and tossed it, it landing square on Allura's Lap.

Allura picked it up and burst into laughter. Between laughs she blurted out the title. "Proper Etiquette for the Arusian Gentleman. A courtly guide to Arusian customs and traditions, XVII Revised." The whole room exploded in laughter and woots for Nanny.

"Ha Ha, very funny!" Lance pouted.

Nanny then tossed Sven a piece of ribbon she had left around her neck, "Hang onto that, Sven. You may just find a use for it."

Sven took it and smiled and added it to the growing collection at his feet.

Shortly they all settled and sat quiet drinking various warm holiday drinks enjoying the quiet and having everyone together. They began reminiscing of the day's events catching Allura up on all the antics that she had missed. Allura laughed and smiled at the stories but she didn't seem disappointed at all that she missed it, bringing a grin to a few of the faces as they mused at what could have been better than being at the party on her favorite day of the year.

"Hey, wait a minute…there's still a present left over there!" Romelle exclaimed.

"What?" Hunk turned. "We already opened everything."

"No, I see it too," Lance pointed. "Behind the tree."

"Let me see." Pidge crawled under the tree. "Got it."

"Who's it for?" Several voices asked at once.

Pidge shook his head. "Ummmm, It's for... Keith."

"But no one ever gets anything for him. He hates…uh sorry cap." Hunk flushed.

Everyone exchanged dumbfounded looks, not only was it known not to get Keith anything, everyone was vigilant to keep an eye out for anything that may have his name on it and they removed it so as not to create an awkward situation.

"It's alright Hunk." Keith smiled apologetically. "Let me see it."

Pidge passed it to Keith and everyone moved in to see, all casting suspicious glances around the room wondering who did it.

"It's heavy." Keith said as he inspected it.

"Well open it already!" Lance blustered.

Keith smiled at him. "Okay, geesh no patience." Keith painfully slowly peeled the paper from the package, shooting Lance a sly look.

Lance lashed out grabbing hold of the paper and ripped it free. "There! It's open. Now what is it?" Earning a laugh form the room.

"A book." Keith lifted it up to read the spine. "The Great Legends of Arus. A collection of legends compiled by… King Alfor?"

Allura's eyes went wide. "My father's book! But… he…he never finished it. I remember him reading parts of it to me as he was writing it but."

Keith sat it down on his lap, fingers lightly lingering on the fine leather binding. "It looks new, Ally." Every eyebrow in the room raised at Keith using her nickname so casually. Keith ran his hand over the book. "Did he give it to someone to finish for him?"

"No, I don't think so." Allura's brow furrowed.

Keith picked the book up and opened the cover seeing a handwritten inscription and read.

'Keith,

Don't take for granted Life's greatest gift.
Live and Love while you can.

Alfor

Keith smiled as he read the words.

"Can I see?" Allura asked.

"Sure." He lifted up his arm on her side to give her room and she moved in to see the book better, moving much closer than necessary. Keith allowed his lips to brush against her hair, Lance shoving Sven and kicking Pidge calling their attention to it. Keith let his arm then rest on the sofa behind them but it suddenly snapped to Allura's shoulders when she saw the handwriting and she audibly gasped. "Keith! This is my father's hand. He wrote this!"

"Don't be silly, Allura." Coran spoke, reminding the couple to keep a more respectable distance. Coran pushed himself out of his chair, taking the few steps to take the book. Flipping it open he read and quickly dropped back into his seat, stunned silent for the longest time... "Oh my."

Lance stood up waving his arms. "Wait a minute, wait a minute…So your saying, that Allura's father, who passed before we got here, gave Keith, the Christmas Scrooge, a copy of his book, that he never finished, and personally inscribed it to him?"

Coran held the book up to him. "Looks like it!" Lance took the book and looked over its binding thoroughly.

Sven laughed. "What's the matter Lance? Have you forgotten that we're on the planet with magical Lions, visiting ghosts, transforming castles and talking mice?"

"Oh yeah. How silly of me." Lance rolled his eyes then handed the book back to Keith then crossed his arms across his chest. "Exactly what happened to you the last two days?"

Keith hugged the book to him and motioned with his hand zipping his mouth and tossing the key.

"Oh thanks." Lance dropped his arms in exasperation.

Keith laughed. "If I told you Lance, You would all have me committed."

Everyone eventually settled back down knowing not to push Keith on the subject and begin to bring up the fanciful things that if they had heard of them before they were on Arus would have been unbelievable but now to them were commonplace.

As everyone was reminiscing Keith started to flip through the book reading the titles of all the chapters as he turned the pages. It seemed to be in chronological order. Some of the names he had heard before, others were new to him. Then he got to the chapter on King Alfor and he turned white as a sheet.

Allura noticed his face and leaned over speaking softly not to interrupt the main discussion. "What is it?... Ohhhhhhh, Yes" She smiled with pride. "That was my father around twenty-five before he grew the beard. Wasn't he handsome?"

Keith whispered to her. "That's... Al…"

"Al?... Wait… your Al? Keith, are you okay?"

Keith kept flipping and reached the end of the chapter. But the book still had pages left. He tentatively turned the page and read.

'Admiral Keith Kogane of Planet Earth.
Commander of Voltron and
King of Arus…'

Then in the same handwriting as the inscription…

'The rest of the chapter you can fill in yourself, Son.

Al'

Keith snapped the book shut before Allura could see it, his eyes growing wide, all the other eyes in the room jumping to him.

"Keith?" Allura reached out touching his arm.

"Merry Christmas everyone!" Queen Orla entered the room carrying her basket and everyone turned to greet her. She made her way to the group and stepped amongst them handing out her gifts, and to Keith's relief making everyone forget about him. Orla smiled, I'm sorry I was late I had several things I had to attend to first." She sat down on Allura's other side as they all began to open their gifts. Orla's gifts tended to be keepsakes featuring various Arusan artists and poets work that were always particularly poignant to the one receiving them. Allura's was a small miniature egg ornament with a hand panting of the castle on the inside.

"And lastly, and not to forget." Orla reached into her bag one last time pulling out the green box and turned to face Keith and Allura.

The box in her hands was all too familiar looking to Keith, distracting him completely from the book.

"Someone told me to give this to you two, Allura." Orla smiled.

"Us?...but who?" Allura took the package. Keith's eyes remained locked on the box the whole way to Allura's lap.

Orla winked. "It's from a couple I met who love you two very much."

"Is it safe?" Coran asked his brow furrowing as he regarded the package.

"Yes." Orla smiled, the former King himself assured me."

"Father?"

Orla bowed her head

"Well that's weird." Lance leaned back on the sofa. "Wonder what it is. Go on Allura, open it."

Keith hadn't taken his eyes off the box, he knew has seen it before but still couldn't place where.

Allura regarded the exquisite handwriting on the tag, a hand unfamiliar to her. 'To Keith and Allura, with all our love.' She slowly tugged at the red bow pulling it free then began to slowly release the paper so as not to damage it.

Pidge sprung up, "Hurry! Open it!" grabbing at the package.

Allura laughed, "Okay, okay." And tore it open, earning a laugh from the team. She then opened the top of the box to peer down into it and gasped. She looked up at Keith with tears growing in her eyes.

He smiled at her but then as she lifted out an exquisitely carved crystal angel his mouth dropped open. Her other hand then went into the box and pulled out another, a matched pair.

"Ohhhhhhhhh, those are beautiful Allura." Romelle gasped.

Both Keith and Allura sat staring at one another stunned. They were exactly the crystal angels from Keith's dreams the ones his father gave his mother, symbols of her little Christmas angels yet to be born. Keith reached out his hands to tenderly touch one of the statues in Allura's hands, the box tumbling from her lap to Pidge on the floor.

"Hey, there's a note!" Neither Keith or Allura seemed to hear as Pidge read.

Dearest Allura,

We give you these two Christmas angels in honor of the two new ones our Christmas Angel has just given you.
Love them as we love ours.

All our love
K & A

"Well that's a mystery isn't it? You two sending yourselves gifts?" Lance smirked. "Hello? Are you two there?" They all started to laugh at the couple who were still staring at the angels in their hands. "KEITH! ALLURA! HELLO! Anyone home?"

The both snapped up "What?" Keith looked to Lance utterly confused.

"The note geesh you still out of it or what?" Pidge laughed handing Allura the note which she took in her hand giving Keith a figurine to hold.

She read it and re-read it and re-read it, only being able to gain one conclusion. She glanced over to Keith who had also been reading it. His eyes now shimmering, touched by the gift from his parents, and also in aw of what it meant. He whispered to her. "…in honor of the two our Christmas Angel has just given you… in honor of the two I have given you? I…Allura?" Keith gasped suddenly pulling her into his arms and into a tight embrace. His lips found her ear out of sight of the rest and he whispered. "I love you my Princess. This is more than I could have ever… " He felt Allura's body trembling in his grasp. "Ally, are you okay?"

She pulled back slightly, her eyes wet with tears. "This is the best Christmas present I could have ever dreamed of."

Gee if I had known she'd get all gushy about some figurines I would have gotten her that." Hunk grinned.

"Allura, can we see?" Romelle asked.

Allura then sniffling handed her one of the glass figurines, Keith passing the other to Pidge. Allura moved back to nestle into Keith's arms.

"Man you'd think he gave em to her." Lance grinned approvingly at the couple, elbowing Sven. They others gathered in and hovered around Pidge and Romelle taking in the fine detail of the figurines. Sven turned one over and regarded the maker's mark beneath. A rare and exclusive earth label had made them, and he explained to the others the significance of the mark. They were all so caught up in what Sven was telling them they didn't see the scene playing out behind them.

Allura pulled back again from Keith's arms her eyes wet but smiling at him.

Keith's lips slightly parted as his mouth started to curl up into a smile. He put his hands on her cheeks to brush away her tears with his thumbs and whispered to her. "Everything… so fast… everything I ever dared dreamed of but never dared to …" His hand then dropping down her to find her belly. He cautiously reached out to caress it.

Allura's eyes drifted closed at the feel of his touch, her hand moving to cover his. Still not quite able to believe that it could be true but somehow knowing in her heart that it was, that in this day they had conceived life. When her eyes reopened she found his eyes just inches from hers and closing. "Forever, my Princess."

Allura breathed back to him. "Forever, my love."

Keith pulled back to Allura's then inquisitive eyes, he smiled at her and breathed out "Marry me."

She blinked at him with a quick inhalation of air.

"Marry Me Allura." He said again in his normal volume.

"What?" The whole room collectively questioned and gasped with her.

Keith cocked his head with a sly grin, then asked again in a clear almost laughing voice. "Princess Allura, will you marry me?" He watched her with amusement as her mind took it in and her emotions played across her face.

Her mouth moved tying to speak but she couldn't find the air, she gigglingly tried and tried to answer but just couldn't.

Keith started to chuckle at her when the team finally yelled out on her behalf, "YES!". She then blushed and fully laughed. "Yes!"

"Tonight." Keith added.

"Tonight? Tonight? Are you…?" Allura laughed.

"I've denied what I've wanted for too long, please, I don't want to waste another day, another moment… a moment that could be a last."

Allura nodded and then fell into his arms, as everyone else closed in on them joining the hug, laughing, crying and cheering.

Coran's loud clearing of his throat caught everyone's attention snapping the group instantly apart all eyes looking to him confused.

Coran then stood to loom over them all and shot the couple a serious scowl as he stroked his mustache. "I wish to speak with the Captain and the Princess... alone. He slowly moved to the door. "Will you come with me?" The others all exchanged uncertain looks glancing between Keith, Allura and Coran fearing what was up. "Queen Orla, will you attend?" He held a quieting hand up to Nanny to stop her from getting up.

Orla looking concerned stood, smoothing her skirts and went out to the hall followed by Coran.

Keith swallowed and slowly stood offering his good hand to Allura and helped her to her feet. Hand in hand they made their way to the door following Coran's lead into the hall.


The door closed behind them, the four of them were then alone in the quiet of the hall.

Coran regarded the couple a moment as Orla took Allura's hand in hers giving it a reassuring squeeze and gestured to protest but Coran waved her silent with a firm hand. "I see you two are feeling better? Yes?"

Keith just gave a slight nod avoiding the man's scrutinizing gaze. "Coran…I…you see we uhhh…"

"I can see and hear well enough…" Coran continued to groom. "And you miss?"

Allura couldn't look at him either. "I was just so happy Coran that I…"

"Hmmm, I see, well it's understandable I suppose considering what you two have been through the last few days…hmmm?"

"Yes, Coran. I…" Allura answered robotically still keeping her eyes on the floor.

"And I suppose after a bit more rest you will be back to your normal selves?"

Allura sighed. "Yes, Cor.."

"No." Keith interrupted Allura as he looked up to face the royal advisor his jaw set firm. "Coran,... Allura and I…"

But before Keith could finish his thoughts he was silenced by a deep royal bow from Coran, the bow not aimed at Allura but at himself. Coran slowly arose with a smile, and a wink as Orla's hands snapped to cover her mouth as she began to tear up.

Coran then reached out his hand to Keith who reciprocated but instead of shaking it Coran pulled Keith into a bear of a hug, the elder openly weeping now holding on to Keith more for support as his emotions washed over him. "You are the reason we are all still here and can celebrate such a wonderful holiday as today. You are our blessing and our savior." He pulled back and glanced over to Orla. "Allura's father entrusted me with his daughter I hereby officially pass that trust on to you."

Keith looked on to his elder as the words slowly sunk in, eventually managing to say a strangled "Thank you."

Orla stepped in to take Keith's hand. "It is we who thank you."

Allura leaned into Keith, also taking his hand in hers, her free arm wrapping around his waist as she watched Keith's face, everything sinking in. She then turned to Coran who is wiping his eyes with a handkerchief. "Coran I don't know what to say… I…"

"Shhhh" Coran laughed, "Will you three get out of here before I come to my senses! You've only got an hour until the moon crests!"

Orla smiled broadly at Coran and mouthed 'Thank You'.

"Goooooo!" Coran laughed again giving them a shove. Orla then pulled at their hands, "Come, Hurry. We have much we need to prepare!"

They made it halfway down the hall when Keith stopped and turned to Coran with a smile. "Merry Christmas, Coran."

Coran smiled back "Merry Christmas, Son." Then laughed and waved them off.

Coran then took a moment to gather his composure and regal bearing and headed back into the rec room. Upon re-entering he was met with many worried faces and when they saw the calm look on Coran's face they grew more confused.

Coran saw the looks on their faces and laughed. "Well what are you all still doing sitting there? Get changed! We have a wedding to go to!" He laughed.

The room erupted bodies flying every which way as hugs were exchanged, Nanny springing up in a tizzy, "We have to get the hall ready, and the room! Her dress!"

Coran grabbed her by the arms. "Nanny stop. Just go get changed, you are going as a guest and ONLY a guest."

Nanny looked on him confused. "But Coran, we have to…"

"No Nanny, we'll have time for the official business later, tonight is just for them, now go." He smiled at her. "Our little princess is all grown up now. Lets give her this one night."

Nanny tried to scowl but soon started to grin, "Our baby." She shook it off and turned on the throng still hugging in the room, clapping her hands loudly. "Well get going! We need horses and a sled prepared, and plenty of warm blankets for everyone! NOW!" They all jumped to attention and then ran out the room, she then turned to Coran and curtsied. "Well someone has to organize this lot!" and with a fake Nanny style grimace she took her leave.

The room went quiet and Coran relaxed for a moment and sat back down, a huge grin on his face. He slowly leaned forward to reach for the book written by the hand of his former best friend and began thumbing through it. "Alfor, your girl's done good. She has managed to tear down the walls and win the heart of our Captain. It is a good match. Keith will make a fine King. He is everything these men were. Apparently you saw that too or you wouldn't have given him this book." He skimmed over the chapter on Alfor. "Ahh it is good to see it finished and... " Coran eyes reached the first page of the last chapter "Alfor you sly…" Coran's grin grew wider as he read the chapter's title.

Admiral Keith Kogane of Planet Earth.
Commander of Voltron and
King of Arus…'

Then in his friends own hand…

'The rest of the chapter you can fill in yourself,

Al'

"Ha ha ha ha ha… So gave him a little shove yourself. I approve hahahaha."


Later in the moonlit night close to the stroke of midnight a group of gray cloaked figures silently watched as two other figures on a blanket knelt holding hands before one another. A third figure was standing over them in a silent prayer, all three were lost in a trance. The snow all around them seemed to glisten surreally with a light of its own, the energy on the air was palpable as it buzzed with the power of kings and queens past swirling around them. When they come out of their trance the two leaned in to one another and their lips met in tender loving kiss arms coming around one another pulling each other close.

Queen Orla who was standing over them slowly took her leave and walked towards the group of onlookers She motioned for them to remain quiet and they did except for the odd sniffle and whimper from each of them as each in turn piled into a large sled that was waiting off to the side. Sven wrapped his arms around a still crying Romelle, he too wiping a tear. Lance hunk and Pidge all sat huddled together each pointing a teasing finger at the other for being such softies. Coran and Nanny sat side by side both trying to restrain their grins to ill effect. The sled quietly pulled away into the winter's night leaving silhouetted in the moonlight a lone horse and a couple lost in time and place.

When they came up for air they were alone with the spirits, and it that moment four shapes shimmered into being around them. The generation before took hands and blessed the union.

"My Son… a deep voice echoed out and Keith and Allura turned to it, seeing a man the image of Keith before them. He pulled his wife's spirit to his side… "Remember to love…" the two spirits reached out to the couple smiling and then dissolved into the glistening snow. "And be loved…" Alfor's deep voice added, before his image and that of his wife's dissolved away.

And in the silence a lone distant church bell chimed out into the crisp night, twelve times. Allura looked up into Keith's eyes. "Merry Christmas, Keith."

Then, just catching on the light of the moon a snow white feather slowly fell from the heavens, Keith delicately reached out and plucked it from the air. He examined it closely then looks up with a smile. "Merry Christmas, Al."

On to the next part

Fan Fiction, Moira, Greatest Gift, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, About