Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

Greatest Gift

1 Why Keith Hates Christmas
2 The Academy Years
3 A Christmas Wedding
4 Keith Loses Everything
5 Keith's Angel

6 Meeting the King
7 Meeting the Queen
8 Awakening
9 The Hunt
10 Time of Reckoning
11 The Dreamtime
12 Christmas Morning
13 Epilogue

About The Greatest Gift


The Greatest Gift A Voltron Christmas Tale
Chapter Five
Keith's Angel

Keith walked out into the night weaving his way back and forth along the long cold metal bridge, slowly making his way to the monument where the Black Lion sat. The water was half covered with ice and snow was falling all around him as he looked down into the dark depths. He got precariously close to the edge as he looked down into the black water. Just one step and it could all be over. If I wasn't here this wouldn't have happened. If I hadn't let her know how I felt, she would have never tried that stunt. How could I allow her to have feelings for me? I mixed my feelings with my job. I'm not fit to command. Anyone else could have done a better job than me, would do a better job than me. I failed her, I failed my parents, I failed my sisters. I'm not fit to live. He closed his eyes, extending his arms out to the sides as far as they would reach, as his body was beginning to waver. "All over… no more death… no more war, just quiet." He dropped his head.

He then heard a splash breaking him out of his thoughts and then heard a faint voice crying out into the night. "Help… Help!"

He quickly looked for the source, shaking off his drunken haze. He saw a form flailing in the water. Going into autopilot he quickly dove into the water and swam to the man. "Relax, I have you." He grabbed onto the man and swam to the shore pulling the man behind him. He hauled him out of the freezing water and drug him up the bank where he helped the man up to his feet, pulling one arm over his shoulder and headed to the Lion Monument, keying the door open to the guard room at its base.

Once inside Keith helped the man to sit down then looked him over. To Keith's surprise, the man seemed fine, a little shaken, very wet, but fine. Keith turned up the heat and they each started to strip out of their freezing wet clothes. "Are you alright? I can call for a medic?" Keith asked.

"Oh no please don't. I'll be fine. Just need to warm up is all." He rubs his hands by the heat outlet.

Keith nodded, last thing he wanted to do was call a medic and then have to explain why he was out here. Keith sat down to remove his water logged boots as he studied the man. He was handsome, looked to be about Keith's age, with medium length brown hair. There was something familiar about his eyes but he couldn't place it. "How did you fall in?" He asked.

"I didn't fall in. I jumped in… to save you."

Keith looked up, surprised. "You what? To save me?"

"Well, I did, didn't I? You didn't go through with it, did you?"

"Go through with what?"

"Suicide. It's against the law where I come from.

Keith's eyes shot up and he quirked his head. "And where do you come from?"

"Heaven. I had to act quickly, that's why I jumped in. I knew if I were drowning you'd try to save me. And you see, you did. And that's how I saved you."

"Very funny."

"Your mouth is bleeding, Keith."

Keith's hand moved up to his lips where Nanny had belted him earlier, pulling his fingers away and found blood on them. "I must have reopened the cut jumping in." He then clutched at his broken wrist which was starting to throb, the numbness of the cold wearing off. "Wait! How do you know my name?"

"Oh, I know all about you. I've watched you grow up from a little boy."

"Oh sure you have." Keith rolled his eyes. "What are you, a mind reader or something?"

"No." The man smiled.

"Well, who are you, then?" Keith's tone was growing exacerbated.

"Al"

"Just Al?"

"Al…" The man stood up with a big smile. "Your guardian Angel"

Keith rubbed his head trying to clear his mind. "Oh, gee I should have known." He looked up at Al now standing beside him. "Why… why save me?"

"That's what I was called down for, to help you. I'm your guardian angel."

Keith just glowered at the man.

"Ridiculous of you to think of killing yourself. You're a hero. You didn't hurt her, they did. Do you really think killing yourself will bring her back?"

Keith buried his head in his hands. "Yeah . . . just things like that. Now, how'd you know that?

"I told you … I'm your guardian angel. I know everything about you."

"Well, you look like the kind of angel I'd get. Sort of a fallen angel, aren't you? What happened to your wings?"

The man looked behind his shoulders and spun around. "I haven't won my wings yet."

"I don't know whether I like that very much, being seen around with an angel without any wings." Keith sarcastically replied.

"Oh, I've got to earn them, and you'll help me, won't you?" The man nodded.

Keith decided to just humor him. "Sure, sure. How?"

"By letting me help you." The man beamed.

Keith crossed his arms across his chest. "Only way you can help me is to heal the Princess and destroy Doom."

"Oh, no, no. I can't do that."

"Some Angel." Keith rolled his eyes.

"Oh, tut, tut, tut." The man scolded.

"I knew it. I'm better off dead."

The man placed his hand on Keith's shoulder. "You shouldn't talk like that. I won't get my wings with that attitude. You just don't know all that you've done. If it hadn't been for you…"

"Yeah, if it hadn't been for me, everybody would be a lot better off. The Princess, the planet, Voltron…" He glared at Al. "Look, go off and haunt somebody else, will you?"

"No, you don't understand. I've got my job…"

"Shut up, will you." Keith dropped his head back into his hands.

Al glanced up, as he paced across the room thoughtfully. "Hmmm, this isn't going to be so easy." He looked at Keith "So you still think killing yourself would make everyone feel happier, eh?"

"Oh, I don't know. I guess you're right. I suppose it would have been better if I'd never been born at all." Keith let out an epic breath.

"What did you say?"

"I said, I wish I'd never been born."

"Oh, you mustn't say things like that. You …" Al's eyes lit up. "Wait a minute. Wait a minute. That's an idea." He glanced up. "What do you think? Yeah, that'll do it. All right." He looked at Keith. "You've got your wish. You've never been born."

A strong wind sprung up blowing open the door to the guardhouse. Al walked over and closed it.

Keith cocked his head curiously, lifting his bound wrist up in front of him and eyeing it inquisitively. "What did you say?"

"You've never been born. You don't exist. You haven't a care in the world."

Keith rotated his wrist through some circles looking very confused.

Al continued. "No worries… no obligations…no Galaxy Garrison …no Lotor hunting you down."

Keith began unwrapping his wrist. "This is weird, this was just broken yesterday."

"No it wasn't. Your mouth's healed too, Keith."

Keith reached to feel his lips, which now showed no sign of the recent spit lip he received from Nanny. "What …What's happened?" Keith looked around, as though trying to get his bearings. He stood up. "Come on, soon as these clothes of ours are dry…"

"Our clothes are dry." Al nodded.

Keith felt the clothes laying out by the heat duct. "How?" Then he muttered to himself. "Heater must be hotter than I thought." He reached down and grabbed up Al's shirt. "Now, come on, get your clothes on and we'll walk to the castle." Keith then turned to Al with a sarcastic smile. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'll walk. You'll fly.

"I can't fly. I haven't got any wings." Al pointed to his shoulders.

"You haven't got your wings. Yeah, that's right." Keith rolled his eyes. "What kind of name for an angel is that anyway, Al? Peter, John, Paul, that I'd expect but… Al?"

Al turned half dressed and walked out the door quickly returning with a very long duffle. "Here you better put this on instead." He handed Keith the long bag."

"What? Why?"

"It will be you're ticket in. The way to get your foot in the door. Your reason for being here."

"Will you get off it? My clothes are fine."

"Just take it will you. I'll be back in a bit. Be careful things are a little different out there." Al then walked out the door, disappearing into the night.

"Al, wait! You should really see the Doctor." Or a head doctor

Keith rushed out the door after him and suddenly froze in his tracks. He was not on Arus. The snow was gone. The lake was gone he quickly spun around looking at the monument he just stepped out of. His eyes traveled up it. On top stood not the Black but a giant gold statue. A statue of…of…"Lotor?"

Looking up at it there was no doubt, for it was the very same gold statue Lance had destroyed. Keith shook his head I must be hallucinating. He then heard the sound of robot feet on the bridge coming his way and ducked back into the room closing the door behind him. Then looking around the room more closely he saw all the crates stored in there had Drule script on them. "What the…?" He then reached into his jacket pocket for his com, but it was gone. Searching all his other pockets he found nothing, no gun, no knife, nothing at all. Everything was gone.

He decided to climb up the access ladder inside the monument that would normally have led to the feet of the black. He reached the top access hatch and opened it. A hot wind was flowing around him as he climbed up onto the top on the monument. Before him was the massive golden foot of Lotor. "I've got to be dreaming." He turned to face the vista before him. There stood the Castle but it was different. Alfor's coat of arms was gone replaced by another image, one that was to far away to make out. He looked down to the lake or, more accurately to where the lake was. It was gone, the water had all been drained away. In its place were buildings, lots of buildings, buildings that looked as if they were transplanted from Doom, with huge smokestacks, reaching up into the air filling the night sky with a gray smoke and blocking out all the stars. It should be winter, but the air was warm. There was even a replica of Zarkon's arena standing where the Blue Lion's home should be. Below the bridge was a view that sent chills up Keith's spine. A deep crevasse that looked just like the Pit of Sculls on Doom. He spun around and made his way to the other side of the statue and looked out upon Arus. Arus? The trees were gone. The forest was dead, in its place was bustling landing pad with thousands of ships. "How? My God what happened?"

"Simple, you were never born."

Keith spun around to find Al sitting on Lotor's golden foot, now dressed in a flashy blue mercenary uniform that accentuated his muscular physique, with a long flowing red cape and a blaster and sword slung from his hips. Keith shook his head. "What are you talking about?"

"You still don't realize how much you've done?"

"Me?" Keith shook his head.

"Come, get changed. I think we should pay a visit to the castle."

"Fine." Keith decided to give up fighting and just give in to the illusion. Let's go Gabriel, uh I mean, Al."

"Very funny."

They made their way back down inside the monument. Keith then curiously opened the duffle that Al gave him revealing a flashy red and black mercenary uniform. He lifted it out and fingered the material in his hands. "You expect me to wear this?"

"Yes. It's your ticket in the door."

"Red leather? You expect me to wear red leather?" Keith rubbed his temple. "How much did I drink anyway?"

"Nothing." Al grinned. "That Keith doesn't exist anymore, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, alright Al. Whatever you say."

Al moved up to Keith's side, putting an arm around his shoulders. "Tell you what, you just believe that you drunk yourself stupid and this is all just a crazy hallucination, okay? Does that help?"

"Hardly." Keith held up the uniform in front of him. "Lance sure would pay good money to see this."

"Yeah, I bet someone else would too." Al smiled. "Now get changed. We need to go."

Keith started to change, shaking his head the whole time. Some dream. As he was stripping down his hand brushed along his chest, grabbing his attention. He quickly looked down, running his hand over his skin again. Smooth, his skin was smooth, no scars. He looked closely tracing where the scar left from Lotor's laser sword should have been but there was nothing, no trace. His hands started searching the rest of himself. The scar on his back, also a gift from Lotor was also gone. There was nothing, not a mark, not a scrape… nothing at all marred his skin.

"You were never around to get any of those marks, Keith. You haven't lived." Al Nodded.

Keith looked over to Al, hand at his chest. "I…" Keith shook his head again and resumed getting changed. After some effort he was clad all in the blood red uniform with black trim. He reached back into the bag pulling out a pair of black boots and black gloves. He smiled at Al. "You are just to much." He sat down and pulled on the boots, which surprisingly, fit like a glove and were amazingly comfortable. He set the gloves down, diving back into the bag.

Keith's eyes lit up as he pulled out a beautiful scimitar and its accompanying rig in all black leather. He unsheathed the sword holding it out in his hand. It was remarkably light for its size and balances perfectly in his hand. "Where did you get this? This is amazing!" He swung it around a few times. Setting it down, Keith then attached the belt, which also fit him perfectly. He was quickly back into the bag pulling out another belt holding a blaster on the right and a long dagger on the left. He smiled putting that one on too. It sit just right under the sword belt, molding to him perfectly, gun nestled right where his hand laid. He propped up one leg at a time to tie the knife and gun to his thighs. Standing back up he moved around a bit. As ridiculous as he felt he had to admit he had never felt more comfortable or had more ease of movement in any regulation uniform. He quickly dropped his hand and drew the blaster, which easily found his hand. He regarded the gun. It was his favorite make and model in a black finish. He holstered it then picked up the sword and sheathed it.

Al walked over to the bag and pulled out the last item, a large billowing black cape. "And now for the crowning touch." He walked behind Keith attaching the cape to his shoulders. Walking around to face Keith, he bowed before him. "Impressive. Very impressive. Yes I believe you will pass."

Keith shifted his weight. "Pass what, exactly?"

"Well, in order to gain admittance to the castle you've got to be a somebody. And, when they get a look at you, I think they will believe you are somebody. You are now Lord Kogane. You are here in answer to King Lotor's…"

Keith blanched. "King Lotor! What? How?"

"Let me finish. You are here to answer King Lotor's summons for the greatest fighters to come and have audience with him and possibly have the honor to join forces with him."

"Me! Join with Lotor? You are off your rocker."

"Just pretend it's a game Keith. You don't believe any of this anyway. Come on have some fun!" Al beamed.

Keith raised a brow. "Fun?"

"Come let's go, Lord Kogane." Al pulled him by the arm and Keith just shook his head. "I've truly lost it."


The two imposing men walked along the bridge toward the castle looming ahead. Once more, Keith was taken aback by the scene around him. All the beauty that was Arus was gone. The Robot guard watch were approaching them in the distance from the castle. Keith's hand instinctively went to his gun.

Al leaned in. "Remember your part and why you are here. You are a cocky Lord who is above all." Al laughed. "Just pretend you're Lance."

"Oh, now that's hysterical. Me, be Lance."

"Wait! No, better than that, pretend you're Lotor! Yes that's much better." Al grinned and handed Keith a bottle.

"What's this for?"

"Just drink it. You're going to need it."

"Drinking got me here in the first place." Keith rolled his eyes as Al's eyes smile back at him. Keith shook his head, grabbed the bottle and downed it, suddenly feeling warm all over. "What was that?"

"Nothing much really." He leaned into Keith's ear as they walked. "You are Lord Kogane, fighter extraordinaire. Remember your part, be Lotor. Just like Lotor."

Keith laughed. "Lotor eh?"

They finally met up with the robot guards who stopped them. "Halt! Who goes there? What is your business?"

"Lotor." Keith whispered a demonic grin growing on his lips. Standing up tall and glaring at the robots, he growled out. "What kind of insult is this? I arrive and all they send me are tin cans?" The robots shifted around a bit not sure how to react. Al just grinned as Keith strode right up to one of them. "You tell your master if he insults me again by sending scrap parts to do the job of an emissary then he will feel my wrath!" Keith breathed fire on the robot who leaned back to get away. "Get out of my sight!" Keith finally bellowed.

The robots quickly turned and scurried back to the castle.

Keith straightened up and took a deep cleansing breath then growled out softly. "That felt gooooood."

Al patted him on the back. "Well, now I'm impressed." The two continued on towards the castle.

Soon another group approached them on the bridge, humanoid this time. "What is your business here?" One asked.

Keith's brow furrowed. "Do you mean to tell me you do not know? Such incompetence!" Keith spun to Al. "This isn't worth our time! First robots and now these minions? This Lotor fellow must be highly overrated if this is the kind of welcome an invited guest receives." He spat on the ground. "My patience is done!" Keith turned on his heal and began to storm away.

"Wait! Stop! My apologies sir. I didn't…" The Doom officer called after him.

Keith spun back. "That's no excuse!"

"Please Sir if you would come with us."

"That's Lord to you!" Keith venomously barked, dropping all the Doom soldiers to lay prone on the ground.

The officer meekly whispered. "Sorry my Lord. We did not know. Please accept our apology."

Keith ignored them and strode over their bent over forms towards the castle, Al falling in behind, laughing to himself.

Keith and Al marched towards the door to the castle as if they each owned the place. The men who had greeted them were tripping over each other trying to keep up and grovel at the same time. Reaching the giant door Keith looked up. Above it where Alfor's coat of arms should have been was an image of a skull. An image he recognized as the same skull Lotor wore on his belt. The scull emblem of Doom. Keith laughed. "A little full of himself ain't he?"

"And you expected something different? He is still Lotor after all." The door opened and the sight that greeted them turned Keith cold. Al leaned in again. "Remember who you are…My Lord." Keith swallowed putting on a defiant air and strode forward to meet his greeter.

"My Lord, I am Yurak, commander of his majesties armies. You are welcome to Arus. Please come with me."

Keith nodded, and he and AL fell in behind Yurak, staying far enough behind to speak privately. Keith leaned over to Al. "Yurak? Yurak is dead. And this guy's way to confidant to be him. Yurak was a sniveling pawn."

Al smiled. "Isn't it amazing what bringing final victory over Voltron could do to a man?"

"What? No. No…Yurak died at the tip of Voltron's sword."

"No Keith, he won. He's a hero."

"I was there. He's dead."

"Ah, no Keith, you weren't. Remember… never born… He died at the tip of your sword. You were piloting Voltron that day. But now… that day never happened."

They turned down a larger corridor. "Wait, this should be an outside wall. What is this?"

"Here." Al thrust another bottle in front of Keith. "If you can't handle this…You're going to need help to handle what's next."

"What's next?" Just as Keith asked the question the doorway at the end of the hall opened. Stepping through it they were suddenly in the arena. Without looking away from the view Keith reached for the bottle and downed it, wiping his mouth with his forearm. "Shit."

Al laughed. "Told you. Welcome to King Lotor's Arena. His proud father built it for him as a wedding gift. An exact replica of his own!"

Keith spun on Al, grabbing him by the shoulders. "Wedding? Wedding to who?"

"You really have no patience do you?" Al chuckled, then looked serious. "My Lord." Snapping Keith's attention around.

Yurak approached the two men. "There will be a match in five hours. You are welcome to participate. His majesty will be anxious to see if you have what he is looking for."

Keith stood tall and imposing. "And what exactly is he looking for?"

Yurak laughed. "A challenge of course!"

Keith interlaced his hands in front of him stretching his fingers back. "Well then, I'll see what I can do. Lead on!"

Yurak led them to a private lavishly decorated room, complete with a full staff of scantily clad servants to do their bidding. "Is this suitable?" Yurak bowed.

Keith looked around scowling at his surroundings. "It will do…for now."

Al spun around to face a group of servants. "Bring us food and wine! We are hungry from our journey and want to see what kind of delicacies this planet has to offer." They quickly bowed and backed out of the room.

Soon they were surrounded in food and eating their fill. Brushing off the offers for companionship, Keith grabbed a bottle of wine and moved to an overstuffed chair. Settling into it, he drew his sword and began to ritualistically clean it. His thoughts went to Allura and her life living here with Lotor as her husband. The pictures that came to his mind were unbearable. He took swig after swig of wine to drown them out as the hours pass.

After several hours a guard entered the room bowing before them. "It is time."

Al stood up. "My Lord." He bowed before Keith. "It is time to meet the King."

On to the next part

Fan Fiction, Moira, Greatest Gift, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, About