Home | About | FanFictions | FanArt | Resorce | Links
line break

FanFictions
- by Moira

Greatest Gift

1 Why Keith Hates Christmas
2 The Academy Years
3 A Christmas Wedding
4 Keith Loses Everything
5 Keith's Angel

6 Meeting the King
7 Meeting the Queen
8 Awakening
9 The Hunt
10 Time of Reckoning
11 The Dreamtime
12 Christmas Morning
13 Epilogue

About The Greatest Gift


The Greatest Gift A Voltron Christmas Tale
Chapter Three
A Christmas Wedding

It was a week before Christmas and Princess Allura was in her garden hiding behind a hedge of berry bushes that were lightly covered in a blanket of snow. She was continuing to pretend to be picking the last of the seasons berries, all of which had been stripped clean minutes ago. She still went through the motions however, listening intently over the hedge to a conversation going on between her visiting aunt, Queen Orla, and one of her maids, Kit.

"So tell me my child, is there anything else you would like me to say tonight?" The queen asked.

"No, thank you your majesty. It is truly gift enough that you will be performing my wedding."

"Nonsense child, there is nothing that brings me more joy than uniting two lives. With all that your mother did for my sister, it is the least I can do to show my gratitude. So it's all decided. I will see you tonight at the eleventh hour."

"Thank you so much Queen Orla."

"You're welcome my child. Now, you promised me that I would get to see your dress."

"Oh yes, your majesty. Come I'll show it to you. The princess gave me one of her old gowns and with some help from Nanny we were able too…" The voices slowly faded as they walked back towards the castle.

Allura sighed. Kit is one of the maids she loved the most. She was the daughter of one of Allura's mother's head maids as well as a close friend. The thought of her wedding being held under a canopy of trees in the moonlight with the snow glistening all around them was just breathtaking. She closed her eyes to imagine the scene.

"Boo!" A mans voice whispered in her ear making her jump. Allura spun around gripping her chest and falling backward into the bushes. He quickly shot an arm out catching her before she completely fell over, pulling her back to her feet then stepped away chuckling.

"Keith! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"You shouldn't let me. You were a little distracted there." He crossed his arms across his chest. "I know that look and it isn't good."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh don't play all innocent with me, Princess. You're sneaking out tonight aren't you? Going to a wedding?" He smirked.

"No! Of course not! Coran specifically ordered me not to go and…"

"And you're going to sneak out anyway."

"Keith…No…I…"

He just looked at her raising his brow.

Pulling her wrap closed tight she growled out. "You can be so frustrating." She spun and stormed off.

"Forget something Princess?" He held up her basket full of berries with one finger.

She stormed back over to him ripping the basket away from him and turned on her heel stomping back to the castle.

"Have a nice day, Princess." He called after her.

Have a nice day! Great how am I going to sneak out now? He's going to be watching me like a hawk. Allura thought to herself as she made her way inside. She turned to look back at him but he was gone from where they were. She scanned the garden to find him sitting on a cold bench kicking at the snow with his boots, seemingly lost again in his melancholy.

She leaned up against the doorway to watch him. He hadn't been his usual self lately. He had been a lot more withdrawn, not even taking meals with the team. She had asked Lance about it at dinner last night. All he said as he pointed up to the large wreath hanging over the table was 'Christmas.' And that struck a nerve in her. Every year Keith has lived on Arus, he has shunned everything to do with the Christmas celebrations, Allura's favorite holiday. He had been unwilling to participate in anything and this year was no different. Allura had been busily planning an elaborate party for all the families in the castle and needed everyone's help. Everyone was pitching in, doing their part, everyone but Keith. And that fact, that Keith, usually the most compassionate and helpful to her of anyone on the team, refused to help, angered her to no end. Yesterday morning after practice she finally had had enough. When they all got back to control she unleashed her fury on him, telling him how disappointed she was in his avoiding anything to do with the celebrations. She flushed now thinking of all the hurtful things she said, wishing she could now take them back. He never said a word, just turned his back to her and stormed away. But now, the more she thought about it, how out of character this was for him the more curious she got. What is Keith's problem with Christmas?

Keith plodded his way down the hall to the kitchens keeping his eyes on the floor, the only surface in the castle that has been spared the humiliation of being decorated for Christmas. He still couldn't fathom it. He became a space explorer to go out into space to get away from his memories and stupid traditions like Christmas and where does he end up but here. On a planet that was settled by people who brought that tradition with them in spades. It seemed Christmas was as important to the people of Arus as it was to the people of earth. And worse than that, was how by some amazing coincidence Arus' seasons and Earth's were almost identical, the seasons matching in timing and length. And, where the castle was situated on Arus, the climate matched that of the town he grew up in, making it all the more unbearable. But the worst part of it all was the fact that the Princess of the planet, the woman he has sworn to protect and serve, the woman that he never wants to fail, was the Christmas Queen of Arus. She lived for this holiday. Therefore, everywhere he went, everywhere he turned, it was Christmas. Yesterday after practice, when she finally unleashed her wrath on him for not being any help with the party, really hit him hard. The last thing he ever wanted to do is let her down like that, not her, not Allura. He wished he had the guts to tell her what was wrong but he couldn't. He must be strong, not show any weakness. He was the commander of Voltron. How could he possibly tell her that at Christmas, he still had disturbing nightmares every night about his family's death? How everything about Christmas, only takes him back to that pain? Why can't I tell her? He had been able to confide in her about almost everything else. Everything that is, but his true feelings for her. And that is most likely why her angry words bit him so hard yesterday. To let down the woman he cares so deeply for, who he secretly loved. All he could do was storm out the room before anyone could see the pain on his face, or the tears coming to his eyes. I'm sorry Princess but I just can't help. I can't deal with Christmas.

He finally reached the kitchen but the smell emanating from it instantly sent him running for the nearest restroom. He barely reached it as his stomach emptied its contents into the closest sink. He stayed hovering over the sink for a moment just trying to breathe. He turned on the faucet and splashed his face with cold water. Without bothering to dry his face he slid down to the floor of the restroom. Hugging his legs in tight he tried to shake off the memories. Something about the smell of gingerbread always sends him right back to his childhood, right back to hell.

 

It was dinnertime and the whole team had gathered to take their meal together including Coran and Allura's visiting aunt Queen Orla. Only Keith was absent. Allura, in the middle of the meal looked over to Lance and asked. "Why does Keith hate Christmas?" She had decided to stop beating around the subject and just ask directly.

Lance swallowed his food and stared at his plate for a while then looked up at her. "Allura it's not something he has ever really talked to me about. He's always denied anything's wrong when I've asked him about it before. Hell, he almost took my head off one year back at the academy when I kept asking." He looked back at his plate. "I don't ask anymore."

"Oh." Allura dropped her eyes and then looked back at Lance. "Do you think I should ask?"

"Oh no Allura! Please don't. It's best just to let him be. Once Christmas is past he'll be back to his usual charming self. Well, as charming as Keith normally is anyway." Lance gave her a wink. "You know, the guy you miss so much."

Allura flushed. "Lance I… I don't…"

"Exactly." Lance grinned. Hunk and Pidge erupted into quiet chuckles, Lance joining them.

Coran loudly cleared his throat bringing order back to the table. "The Captain's private life is his own business and I suggest we all stay out of it." His intense gaze landed on Allura. "All of us." He then dropped his eyes and resumed eating, the room growing quiet.

Queen Orla sat back studying her niece for a moment and then continued eating her meal in silence.

Allura just forked at her food. Why do you hate Christmas Keith?

A small blue flash raced down the hallway darting around a corner and scrambled up the person hiding there. Climbing into her delicate hand it began to animatedly squeak. Allura smiled at her co-conspirator. "So the laundry's empty and you haven't seen Keith anywhere?" The mouse smiled and nodded. She listened down the hall for any noise, but all was quiet so they quietly made their way to the laundry, Cheesy taking point. They entered the dimly lit room leaving the lights out so as not to alert anyone to their presence. Allura went to the storeroom where they kept various extra clothes that they hand out to the villagers when needed, looking for a plain peasant dress to wear. "I should be able to sneak out undetected if I can blend in with the crowd." She whispered to Cheesy. "What do you think of this one?" She held up a basic drab green dress in front of her. "Yes, I believe this is the one."

Cheesy started looking rather bored with the proceedings. "Alright my friend you can go. Thanks for your help." She turned and went about finding boots and a wool wrap.

The mouse happily scurried up a pipe to the raised storage loft above, leaping onto an access landing. When looking back to the princess, Cheesy ran right into the white boot of the Voltron Captain who was sitting there. Keith put his finger to his lips to silence the mouse.

Cheesy was frozen, petrified at the sight of Keith.

Keith smiled and whispered. "Don't worry little one. I'm not going to stop her. She should go to this wedding."

The mouse suddenly looked concerned. Keith extended his hand down to Cheesy, who climbed on and was lifted up to Keith's eye level. "Don't worry little friend, I'll follow her. I wouldn't want anything to happen to her either, you know that."

The mouse nodded and squeaked out a response but Keith was no longer looking at him, his eyes were now transfixed on something else. The mouse regarded him for a moment seeing his mouth parted and that his breathing was now much heavier. Cheesy followed Keith's gaze to find Allura now stripped out of her pink dress and only in her undergarments, slowly unlacing her corset.

If there was any doubt left in the little mouse's mind about the attraction shared between these two people it was now extinguished. The mouse grinned at the look on the Captains face, enraptured would be way to describe it. A look it had seen on a certain princess' face many times while watching this very man when she thought no one was looking. The corset loosened she slowly wiggled her way out of it turning so as to give glimpses of her form through her very sheer chemise. Cheesy heard Keith swallow hard as she then turned to pick up the green dress giving him a brief but full view. The mouse started to giggle snapping Keith out of his stare. Keith looked to the mouse now rolling in his hand and flushed brightly turning his head away. Cheesy raced up his arm scrabbling into his hair and swung over to kiss him on the cheek. Leaping down it quickly scurried away.

Keith had made his way out into the garden wrapped in a huge fur lined dappled gray cloak with the hood pulled up over his head. He had taken her lead and after she left the laundry also found something drab to wear. Now clad in a pair of brown pants and boots and a drab green sweater under the cloak. He watched the door of the castle as the procession was gathering, spotting Allura amongst them. They all seemed oblivious to who she really was.

A smile came to his face at her disguise. Heck, I probably wouldn't have recognized her either. She had removed all her trappings of royalty and let her hair down so it cascaded all around her face, partially obscuring it. She had even changed her normal regal posture to match the dowdy dress that she was wearing. Being a wedding party no one seemed concerned at the stranger in their midst, no one expecting to know everyone present. The group with each of them carrying a lantern or candle started to make their way to the bridge leading from the castle into the forest, collectively singing a song calling for all the spirits to join them.

Keith fell in behind them following them across the bridge. As they approached the end of the bridge and the monument he looked up to the lion perched atop it, the lion who always greeted him with a rumble. Keith mentally called out to it. 'Please my friend, don't give me away…Please?' The lion ignored his plea and instead let out an ear shattering roar as the group passed beneath it sending Allura to quickly scan the area. Keith hunkered over a bit to hide his face. 'Thanks a lot, budy!'

"Did you hear that?" One of the people shouted happily to the bride and groom. "The Lions also bless your union!" Everyone cheered waving their arms up to the Black as they continued on their way into the snow-covered woods. Keith shook his head, luckily Allura seemed to go along with that reasoning, and he disappeared into the group as well.

As Allura reached the site of the wedding, the air had turned much colder and she was furious at herself for not also finding a heavy cloak to wear. The peasant dress and wool wrap were not nearly warm enough now that the night air had a bite to it. As she started to take in the scene before her she soon felt warm as her love for her planet and its customs washed over her. The wedding was to be in a sacred spot, a circular clearing under a thicket of trees, all of which have lost their leaves and were now just a tangle of branches. The moon was full, casting an ethereal glow to the whole scene. The circular area was rimed with bonfires, their happy flames dancing in the night. The seats for the guests were arranged around the perimeter several rows deep and at its center was an open area where the ceremony was to take place. There was a sound of a low bell chiming, sending everyone to slowly find their seats. She found a seat in the back ring near one of the fires hoping to gain some warmth from it, away from the other guests trying to keep her anonymity.

"I should just let you sit there and shiver all night." A voice familiar whispered in her ear but before she could turn around an already warmed, heavy fur-lined cloak draped over her shoulders. "You get extra points for the peasant clothes but I'll have to deduct for not being prepared for the cold." He smiled down to her.

She dropped her head pulling in the warm cloak tight. "Keith, I'm sorry I lied to you about coming." She moved to stand up but he put his hand on her shoulder and held her in her seat. She looked at him curiously. "We're not going?"

"You know, you could have just asked. I would have come with you." He sat down beside her hugging his arms in tight around himself to keep warm.

She sighed. "Coran would have never agreed and I didn't want to bother you. You've been so miserable lately that… well…" Her voice tapered off as he looked away from her. She then noticed he was just in a sweater and was obviously freezing. She scooted in closer to him opening up one side of the cloak to him. "Keith please, can we drop the protocol tonight? It's not right for you to freeze on account of my stupidity."

He looked back to her eyes looking a little lost. "Princess, I can't."

"Why not? And tonight if you haven't noticed, I'm not a princess." She shot a pout at him but it soon dissolved into a smile. "If you catch cold I'll never forgive myself."

He buried his face in his hands chuckling. "You're not going to quit, are you?"

"No." She giggled and slid over even closer to him draping the cloak over his shoulders then she reached around the front of him grabbing it and pulling it tight around him. He hadn't moved, hands still covering his face. Slowly he turned his face to her and their eyes met. She was instantly lost in his them, being so close to him suddenly hitting her. His eyes didn't break from hers either. She had wanted more than anything to ask him right now, right here, why he as been acting the way he has but now, lost in his eyes, they seem to plead with her not to. She managed to break the spell and leaned in against him so as to avoid his gaze pulling the cloak in around them tighter against the cold. She instead casted her eyes to the heavens.

 

His eyes followed hers also needing a distraction. "Look a shooting star."

"Oh how beautiful." She cooed. "Quick make a wish."

Keith laughed. "What should I wish for?"

She smiled at him. "Whatever you want. Go on."

He thought for a moment about what he truly wanted. He could see it right beside him, smiling at him. He instead played it safe. "I wish for peace and for that damn Lotor to give up already and leave you alone and for…" He stopped mid-sentence seeing Allura's closed eyes and a soft grin tugging at her lips, lips in that moment he desperately wanted to taste. Allura's eyes fluttered open. He looked at her curiously. "What did you wish for, Princess?"

Allura glanced up to him with a sly grin, then turned away.

He let loose a nervous chuckle growing more anxious. "What'd you wish for?"

An elderly man sitting a few rows away enjoying watching the young couple smiles and leaned over closer, listening intently to them.

"Come on, tell me." Keith pulls her around to face him.

"If I told you it might not come true." She turned away again and looked up to the heavens with a smile.

"What is it you want, My Princess? Tell me what you want?" Keith whispered as they together looked back up to the sky. He let out a deep sigh. "I wish I could just fly up there and fix it all for you. I truly wish I could."

"So, what if you could? "She turned to him. "Then what?"

"Well, then you could walk your own world as we are tonight and not be afraid." His soft voice grew more excited. "You could go anywhere you want without having to have someone around you all the time. You could finally sleep knowing your people are safe…You could …" Keith paused dropping his head suddenly embarrassed. "Am I talking too much?"

"Yes!" The elderly man who had been watching them answered him from his seat two rows away. "Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?"

"What?" Keith's face fell flat, eyes snapping to the man.

"Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?"

Keith's face flushed brightly as he turned away as Allura, now a bright pink, intently studied the ground.

The old man waved a dismissive hand at them and turned back to the circle. "Aw, youth is wasted on the wrong people."


Under the Cloak by Flora

The two sat in a stunned silence for the longest time neither knowing what to do or say, thankfully the family members had finally begun to file into their places at the center ring of seats and Allura's aunt, Queen Orla, began to walk into the center of the circle to greet all the family members giving them something else to focus on.

Keith's voice was low and very throaty. "So do you mind explaining what's happening? Arus' wedding customs are new to me."

Allura looked up to him surprised. "You really want to know?"

"Well I'd like to know what you're making me sit through."

She chuckled. "Well, this is just one type of ceremony there are many others."

"Like on earth, every culture and religion has its own customs."

"Really how many?"

"More than I'm aware of, thousands I imagine."

"Well, this ceremony is about marrying of the spirit. A priestess must officiate the ceremony."

"Your aunt's a priestess?"

"Yes. A quite accomplished one at that."

"How is it I didn't know that?"

"Keith, it's not something you go around advertising. They usually keep pretty quiet about it. So, here's what's going to happen; she will summon the spirits of the ancestors to join us in the circle so that they too, can bless the union. Then she will call on the spirits of the couple to unite in the spirit world."

"Sounds a little far fetched, if you don't mind me saying."

Allura grinned. "Yeah, it's more of a myth than anything, but the ritual has survived over the generations and it is a beautiful idea. It gives people hope believing that there is more than just our mortal lives here and that our ancestors are here watching over us."

He smiled back at her. "I like that idea."

"Well I sure can't argue with it. My father has been visiting me ever since he passed."

"That he has."

"Keith," Allura paused. "Thank you for coming."

"I had a choice?" he smirked at her.

"Well you could have sent someone else to gather me up."

"And miss my chance to hold it over you? Forget it. No one else gets that honor but me. And, my Princess," He looked back into her eyes. "You will owe me big for this one." He grinned.

Allura blushed, dropping her eyes and leaned back against him. They both grew quiet as they watched Orla finish readying the circle. Allura closed her eyes loosing herself in the closeness of him. She snuggled in more, seeking his warmth and… she couldn't deny it… him.

"Are you still cold Princess?" He asked softly. And then at first she thought she must be fantasizing, but it was really happening. He reached his arm around her shoulders, pulling her in closer to him so she could nest against his side, his other hand pulling the cloak in tight around them. "Better?"

She couldn't answer him, her voice was lost to her so all she could do was turn her head up to him, her eyes searching his for any hint of what he was thinking. Was he thinking the same thing she was? Does he…could he… feel about me the way I feel about him? I love you… Keith Kogane. His eyes suddenly dropped meeting hers questioningly, startling her. A soft smile came to his lips as he shook is head as if to clear it and turned back to the circle but at the same time tightening his hold on her.

Orla walked around the open center area murmuring a chant, blessing the ground and then called for the couple to join her. They approached and kneeled before her on a rug which had been placed in the circle. Orla reached out placing her hands on their heads. "May I ask all of you to join me in the calling of the ancestors. Please take hands and focus on the couple with me."

A shiver shot down Allura's body and she stiffened up. Neither of them moved for the longest time. Then she felt a finger run along the back of her hand under the cover of the cloak, making her shiver all the more. He turned his face to her as she tentatively took his hand in hers. She reached up with her other hand taking hold of his other hand on her shoulder. Neither of them spoke they just looked at one another as their hands with a will of their own moved to interlace in each others. Orla called out to the guests. "Now everyone close your eyes and focus. Focus on your loved ones. Bring them here to be with us tonight to bless this union." She began to chant.

Allura and Keith still sat staring at one another. Allura was lost in his eyes again. She had never seen them darker than they seem now in the moonlight. His eyes suddenly dropped from her eyes to her lips lingering there for a moment before he darted them away. Allura couldn't breathe, Did he… was he going to… No, it had to have been her imagination, the romantic setting going to her head. She straightened up closing her eyes. She tried to fight what her body was feeling and do as Orla instructed, trying to focus on her parents, but she couldn't. Her mind kept going to the man whose arms she was surrounded in and whose hands were in hers. She listened to Orla's chanting song floating lyrically in the air. Soon her mind was taken elsewhere, her body started to sway and she listlessly leaned in against him for support, the song seeming to envelop her as her mind blured even more.

When Keith opened his eyes he was in a dark shadowy wood. He could make out the castle across the water. The whole scene seemed so unreal, almost ethereal, it was still snow covered but no longer cold. Looking himself over he was dressed in his usual red. He picked his way through the frost sparkling shadowy brush only able to see maybe fifteen feet ahead of him. He could hear singing, the same song Orla was chanting, and moved towards it where he then saw Allura moving down the overgrown path ahead of him. He tried to call to her but his voice wouldn't cooperate. He lost all track of her in the darkness but continued making his way into the direction he last saw her. Suddenly someone leapt out from behind him catching him with something at his neck. He spun to see Allura who had him roped with a long pink ribbon. Her eyes were alive and daring, freezing him in his tracks. She silently led him deeper into the woods and he willingly followed her, finding a small clear spot she slowly descended to the ground. Seductively looking up to her catch she slowly began to reel him down to her with the ribbon.

He was wordless. Words would just break the glorious quiet of the magical woods. She had him now right in front of her. Kneeling on the ground she closed her eyes angled her head up to him and he obliged, taking her lips. Soon he too was kneeling on the ground before her, tasting her, loosing himself in her lips. He couldn't help himself. He had wanted to know her for so long but has never dared to do anything about it, afraid to let love in his life, afraid to let someone into his heart. But somehow, wherever he was now, none of that mattered. He leaned closer as she ever so slowly lowered herself backwards to the ground and he followed her every inch of the way, lips dancing with hers.

Eventually she lay in a pile of frost kissed leaves and he was looming over her, more aggressively kissing her, consuming her. He needed her. She was kissing him back with the same heated abandon, feeding his desires, her tongue dancing with his, her hands raking across his back. He fully lowered himself down to her, his body pushing hard up against her, wanting more of her, all of her. His breath coming more and more ragged as his need for her grew. He felt her lips leave his and they started to kiss a trail down his neck and he blissfully lifted his head to accommodate her journey.

The scene around them dissolved away and it felt as if they were floating on the air, nothing was around them, nothing but them. Any barrier that was between their bodies had also dissolved away leaving them both bare. They floated as their bodies came together skin touching skin, his desire to have her unbearable. She bodily wrapped herself around him, arms and legs pulling him to her, sending them slowly spinning in the air.

He grabbed onto her tightly frantically finding her lips, when they met he gave in to his body's desires and took her, sheathing himself within her. The sensation of pleasure that overtook him was almost unbearable as his body instinctively found the home it had so long been seeking. A blindingly bright light engulfed them as their bodies danced and spun in the air with their movements, their two bodies now one. The sensation he was now feeling bombarded his mind, overwhelming it, eventually reaching a crescendo. When he finally released the light around them also exploded becoming even brighter and then seeming to shimmer as it slowly faded. They slowly descended from the air, still a tangled mass of limbs, holding onto each other tightly, still coupled, mouths still dancing.

Allura snapped to and found herself still sitting near the fire with Keith's arm around her, hands interlaced in both of his. She was disoriented, fighting for breath and drenched in sweat. Panicked, she quickly glanced around to find Orla sitting right in front of them watching intently. Flushing, she looked to Keith who seemed as exhausted and disoriented as she. They quickly let go of one another, only then realizing that the rest of the guests were gone and the only ones left in the clearing were the two of them and Queen Orla.

"Where were you?" Orla asked with a sly grin. Neither of them could answer. "You were both gone the whole ceremony. It seems Allura you also have the gift. Like your mother and I." Orla smiled at Allura.

Allura was still reeling from what she just experienced and couldn't really comprehend Orla's words. She looked over to Keith only to find him staring at her. When noticed, he quickly turned his head away. Could that really have been him?

Keith tossed open the cloak and got up, walking away.

"Keith?" She softly called after him when she could get the breath to summon it. He slowly turned to face her, his heavy breath visible in the night air. The look on his face and in his dilated midnight eyes was a mixture of confusion, shock and shame answering her question for her. It was him.

Orla stood up. "Well, I think we should head back to the castle before they send out a search party. "Will you two ride with me in my coach?" Allura slowly stood wrapping herself up in Keith's cloak and nodded. Orla smiled putting an arm around her. "Come, this way." She led them to where her carriage waited. "Captain will you please ride with us?"

He wrapped his arms tight around himself looking down. "No, I don't…"

"Captain. Please. You are hardly dressed to walk back on your own." Orla grabbed his arm as they passed him, pulling him along with them, he was still too disoriented to truly resist.

As they reached the carriage the footman helped Orla and Allura into it. Orla smiled out the door to Keith. "Come, Sir. You wouldn't let two ladies travel so late unescorted would you?" At that he dropped his head and climbed in sitting across from them. Soon the carriage was underway.

Orla looked across to Keith who was staring out the window, arms still wrapped tightly around his body. She started to chuckle. "I never would have imagined you coming out so unprepared for the cold."

He glanced over at Allura. "Well I guess I just forgot." The tension in the air eased a little. He shrugged slightly dropping his eyes, a slight smile puling at his lips.

Allura let out a slight hiccup of a giggle but snapped her hand to her mouth and dropped her head, both of them now intently studying the floor of the carriage.

Orla smiled at them. "So tell me Allura, how long have you had this power?"

Allura looked up to at her aunt confused. "Power?"

"Yes, you have the gift. How long have you noticed it? It must be strong in you in order for you to take him with you."

"I… I don't know what you're asking Orla. I went somewhere yes, but…"

"Have you been seeing spirits? Seeing visions?"

"Well I have always seen my father. He often comes to me in my dreams."

"Anything else, seeing things, hearing thoughts?"

"Well, there was that time when Keith called me."

Orla leaned in. "Tell me what happened."

"It was when he and the team went to Pidge's home world to try and save it. The Blue Lion and I stayed behind. Do you remember Keith?"

He looked over to her but didn't meet her eyes. "We were in trouble. I thought we were goners. I called out to her in my frustration."

"And I heard him and answered."

"Hold on!" Orla snapped, suddenly fully alert and scrutinizing Keith. "You projected to her?"

"Projected?" Keith's brow furrowed.

Orla stared at him. "And you were clear on another planet?"

He pulled away from her intense scrutiny. "Yes."

Orla snapped her gaze to Allura. "And you heard him?"

Allura cocked her head in confusion. "Yes."

"From another planet?"

Allura looked across at Keith who is looking as bewildered as she. "Orla? What?"

Instead of answering, Orla reached over and took Keith's hand and held it in hers, closing her eyes. Slowly she opened them then snapped her head to Allura. "Give me your hand."

Allura panicked, at Orla's urgency as Orla reached into the cloak grabbing one of Allura's hands pulling it to her and closed her eyes again only to suddenly snap them open and drop their hands as if they burned her and retreated to the corner of the carriage.

The two watched her as she recoiled into herself and then looked at one another and at their hands both completely bewildered. Keith feeling the chill, wrapped himself back up in his arms in a futile effort to keep warm. Allura seeing his discomfort quickly shifted to the other side of the carriage throwing a side of the cloak over him before he could object. He felt like ice as she wrapped an arm around him rubbing his arms. "Keith you're freezing!" She whispered to him.

He looked at Allura and tried to smile at her, his teeth chattering. "Yeah, well next time I'll bring two cloaks." His eyes then went back to Orla who was still lost in her thoughts. Allura snuggled in against him trying to warm him up, her eyes also looking at Orla. He lowered his lips to her ear and whispered. "Allura what was that that happened back there? I…I mean…did we… was that you?" Allura just snuggled in tighter, trembling at the memories and nodded her head. He whispered again "And, Just now, what did she see Allura? What was she talking about...Projecting?"

There was a low grumble from overhead as the carriage began to pass under the Lion Monument snapping Orla out of her thoughts. "Keith, your soul…" They both looked at Orla curiously and then Allura turned to look into Keith's eyes, which suddenly seemed frightened. Orla continued. "Your soul…it is crying... empty…lost. Such pain you carry with you." Keith turned away, looking out the window towards the lake. Orla then looked at Allura. "Tell me what happened at the ceremony."

Allura felt Keith's body tense and she turned away too, looking at the back of Keith's head. "I don't know what happened." She moved her hand to his back under the cover of the cloak in an attempt to comfort him and whispered. "I don't remember."

Orla continued to prod. "What about you Keith, what do you remember?"

"Nothing." He breathed out the window. "I don't remember anything."

The carriage pulled up to the doors of the castle and stopped where the castle guards walked up to greet it. Orla quickly climbed down and then looked back in at the pair smiling. "Well, it's a shame that you don't remember, because it was beautiful." Leaving the two pale and dumb struck she walked away.

One of the castle guards looked into the coach. "Highness?"

"Give us a minute." Allura answered. He bowed politely and walked several paces away and turned his back to them. Allura was trembling as she slowly dropped her hand from his back. "Keith I do remember… I remember everything."

He turned around slowly. "Allura, I'm sorry I don't know what happened. I… I had no control over myself. I was just…" He dropped his head.

"Keith, I was just as … uninhibited as you I…" She looked up to him and their eyes instantly locked. "Keith I…" She started to tremble even more as he leaned into her, his eyes targeting her lips. She closed her eyes and felt his breath on her lips then nothing. She opened her eyes just as his cheek brushed against hers and he pulled her into an embrace instead.

"I'm sorry Princess. I… I can't do this."

"Keith? Why? Why not?" She clutched at his chest. "I thought that you … I mean with what just happened…"

He reached out and grabbed a fistful of her hair, voice choking up. "Allura, my life and love don't mix."

She pushed him back. "So you do admit to love?"

He swallowed hard. "I can't." He dropped his eyes.

Allura grabbed his face in her hands forcing him to look at her, his eyes shimmering. "Keith?" And in that instant he took her lips, ravenously consuming them, wrapping his hands around her head deepening the kiss and she lost herself in him.

When he pulled away tears were pouring down his face. "I …can't!" He bolted from the carriage leaving Allura alone gasping at air.

Much later Keith was walking down the quiet corridor to his room. What in the hell was I thinking? I kissed her! How could I let myself loose control like that? Love is a novelty I can't have in my life, I won't have in my life! And at the wedding, what was that? Were we really together like that? Did our spirits actually make love? Or was that just all in my head? Either way, it can't happen again! No, I won't let it! I can't do that to her. Not to her. His eyes then targeted in on a colorful ornament hanging from the ceiling of the hall. He leapt up grabbing it, ripping it down and slam-dunked it into a nearby trash receptacle. "Stupid Christmas."

He reached his room and fell onto the sofa lying back. He grabbed a throw from the back of it and curled up into a ball. I can't let my guard down like that ever again. I am a soldier. Commander of Voltron, We're at war. I can't have love in my life! What kind of life would that be for her… for our children? Children? Keith hit himself in the head. Quit dreaming! I can't have children! I can't live through loosing my whole life again. I can't let love in my life! He kept repeating it over and over in his head as he slowly drifted off mumbling "I can't let… love in my life… love… in my life…"

He was holding Allura in his arms floating on air, nothing around them. nothing but them, bare skin touching skin. She wrapped herself around him, arms and legs pulling him to her, sending their bodies to spin and dance in the air. He grabbed onto her tightly, frantically finding her lip's. When they meet he give in to his body's desires and took her. A blindingly bright light engulfed them as their bodies dance in the air, their two bodies becoming one. The sensation he was now feeling was bombarding his mind, overwhelming it, eventually reaching a climax he released and the light around them exploded even brighter…then darkness.

He closed his eyes, when he reopened them he was again a little boy running through the snow. He reached his dark house. Bursting open the door he ran in. Inside the house was all aglow for the season. The tree was twinkling, the fire was burning bright, candles were lit everywhere. His heart started to race. "Mommy! Daddy!" But then what he saw froze him cold, there on the sofa lay the bloody bodies of his parents half beaten and half charred. He spun around to the playpen and in it were the mangled bodies of his sisters, their ruined remains shimmering in the lights from the tree. Keith moved to the middle of the room, spinning from one horror to the next dizzying himself he dropped to the floor sobbing. "Mommy! Daddy! Don't leave me!" Looking up again he saw the tree looming over him, laughing at him, twinkling cheerfully. He then heard the distant voices. "Open your present, Keith. Yes Keith, open your present." He looked under the gaudy tree and saw a big red package. Apprehensively, he pulled it out and began unwrapping it, opening the box. He reached in and pulled out a mangled stuffed black lion dripping with blood. His small hands tightened around it in his anger, blood dripping onto his little fingers and down his arms. He cradled the lion to his chest and sobbed again, rocking back and forth hugging his lion. The old clock in the hall clicked and started to chime. It rang out into the dead house… twelve times.

Simultaneously in another room of the castle Allura woke up with a start, clutching at her chest looking for the lion that wasn't there. She gasped for air. That dream was so vivid. She trembled, pulling up her blanket to cuddle up in. She was little and it was Christmas in a beautiful house she didn't know. It was beautifully decked out for the season, but all around her was death. She looked at her hands still able to see the blood on them. She curled up into a ball and tried to forget, but the images were burnt into her mind. She rocked herself slowly, trying to quiet her mind and tried to go back to sleep but she couldn't.

Orla was unable to calm herself from the night's events so she decided to go for a walk eventually making her way down to the tomb of King Alfor that lay deep under the castle. Entering, she moved to his tomb and knelt before it and begin to pray, to pray for her niece and the man she loves, one who obviously loves her in return. Please, if you can find a way to make him come out of his shell and work through the darkness that has hold of his soul. Please, he is a good man who doesn't deserve this torment. Finished she stood.

A low voice came from behind her. "I thought someone was down here. You're up awfully late. How did the ceremony go?"

Orla turned to find Coran standing behind her and she smiled at him. "It was beautiful I have never felt such energy. The couple's soul's joined together."

"Don't they always join?"

"No, sometimes never. Sometimes at the ceremony, like tonight and sometimes, very rarely, the souls are already one and they are fighting desperately to physically unite even though their owners deny it."

Coran's brow furrowed for a moment thinking on what she said. Shaking off whatever thought was there he smiled. "Come, I happen to know where we can find some hot chocolate and biscuits."

"That sounds wonderful."

On to the next part

Fan Fiction, Moira, Greatest Gift, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, About